Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Valium and alcohol  (Read 261 times)

Offline TarheelBabe1980

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Valium and alcohol
« on: February 09, 2014, 10:47:37 PM »
My psych prescribed me 10mg Valium daily, but I take 2.5mg 4 times a day...sometimes i just take 3 a day (so, 7.5mg). I know better than to pop V at the same time as alcohol, but how many hours should I wait between a 2.5mg Val dose and booze (and vice versa)?
To add to the trickyness, I am now on 30mg Cymbalta (i take this in AM), and I can outdrink an elephant on antidepressants even though I am thin LOL. I try to behave because i know antideps + booze not great mix esp Cymb (liver risks and such)
Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline johnathonm

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: Valium and alcohol
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 11:11:10 PM »
Alcohol and be benzos are a bad time. You can black out or worse.  As for the time it's several hours per drink. Myths alcohol might interact with cymbalta but I am not sure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 11:39:09 PM »
Mixing alcohol and and benzos is deadly, suppresses the breathing reflex in the brain.  You could go to sleep and not wake up.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 12:03:38 AM »
My psych prescribed me 10mg Valium daily, but I take 2.5mg 4 times a day...sometimes i just take 3 a day (so, 7.5mg). I know better than to pop V at the same time as alcohol, but how many hours should I wait between a 2.5mg Val dose and booze (and vice versa)?

Valium has a half-life of up to 200 hours, over 8 days, so the amount of it in your system barely varies throughout the day. Also be aware that there is probably at least 3 times as much diazepam in your system as from a single dose. So the risk from washing the med down with alcohol is no different than waiting hours, or even a couple of days.

I try to behave because i know antideps + booze not great mix esp Cymb (liver risks and such)

Cymbalta and alcohol is a potentially deadly combination because of the combined effects on the liver. I'm not being melodramatic here, this is a real risk. The occasional single glass of wine won't kill you, but regular drinking might. Cymbalta is contraindicated for anyone that drinks regularly. Furthermore alcohol worsens anxiety disorders.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: