Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: New and looking for support...religious OCD  (Read 230 times)

Offline sdd

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New and looking for support...religious OCD
« on: February 09, 2014, 08:56:15 PM »
I am new here.  I have had pure O ocd since I was probably 12.  My OCD tends to jump from thing to thing.  The first thing I remember fearing was harming others.  Then I jumped to fear of being possessed by demons.  Then I jumped to certain diseases, etc.  After I had my 2nd child, my OCD got really bad.  I went to a psychiatrist and was formally diagnosed with Pure O OCD.  The doctor put me on meds and things got better for several years. 

Recently, after having my 3rd child my OCD is back with a vengence.  I feared norovirus for about a year and a half.  Now, my OCD has switched again.

A couple of weeks ago I read a story about a woman and her children who were possessed by demons.  I used to fear this as a teen.  So, it brought all of those fears back.  I started googling.  My fear grew, I googled more, fear grew, google...see the pattern?

So, I am here typing this after searching for a place with people who I could talk to...who might understand.

I am terrified about 60% of the time right now.  The other 40% of the time, I'm scared but functional.  Can anyone relate?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
Re: New and looking for support...religious OCD
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 10:03:33 AM »
I know my daughter could relate to that demon thing!   She had herself so upset and anxious about the fact the she MAY become possessed! She was like that about 2 years, then it subsided and when she went to a local convenience store her receipt said, "$6.66" she flipped out all over again for months.   She's fine again, but she thinks everything is a sin!  It was pretty bad for a while.   
I myself fear those stomach bugs every year (noroviruses, norwalk virus, rotovirus, whatever it may be like that).  Last year I heard it was SO bad that I refused to go out to eat anywhere because I didn't know who would be touching my food.  I had to go to a funeral in February and they had the dinner afterwards and I was freaking out.  Of course no one knew this, I hide it, but I tried to only eat "safe" things that most likely no one touched with their hands (ex: I wouldn't eat the fried chicken because someone probably plated it with their fingers)
telling anyone who was nosy, "Oh I'm not really hungry"  (I was starving!) I also have all kinds of health anxiety over cancer, MS, tumors, you name it!  One worry stops and another starts, some even overlap.  I have to keep checking and checking the thing I am worried about over and over again (well maybe I didn't look at it right a half hour ago, maybe look at it from a different angle, try a different flashlight, feel around for swollen nodes, and on and on it goes.   Oh yes, I can relate to you in the health OCD.  Too bad my daughter wasn't into posting on boards, she could ABSOLUTELY relate to the religious OCD!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sdd

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
Yes, last year was what set off my fear of norovirus.  I hadn't thrown up in 24 years and I did last year.  My whole family came down with it and it just sent me over the edge.  I struggled with it until about 2 weeks ago when I read the stupid story about a woman's kids becoming possessed.  Honestly right now I am wishing I was still struggling with the fear of stomach bugs!  It's less terrifying and I can at least sleep!

Thank you for sharing.  It is so frustrating that we KNOW these things are irrational, yet they seem so real to us at the same time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 11:23:39 AM »
My daughter went to talk to a Priest about that possession worry.  What religion are you?  Maybe you could talk to some clergy.  The Priest helped her a lot.
I would think that since you DID become sick that it would lessen your fear.  The last time I threw up was March of 1968 so needless to say I am PETRIFIED as I don't even recall what it feels like, I was in grammar school.  Do you recall what started your fear? (both fears)
Bookmark and Share

Offline sdd

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 10:36:32 PM »
I have no idea what started my fear of throwing up.  I have just never been a person that throws up very often.  I can think of maybe 3 times that I threw up as a child until high school.  I didn't throw up all through highschool, college and for years after.  The thing is, when I did throw up, it wasn't that bad.  So, I don't know why the fear kicked in a few months later.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 02:40:21 PM »
Just checking in to see how you are doing  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: