Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: PCOS fears  (Read 214 times)

Offline bluemidnight

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
PCOS fears
« on: February 09, 2014, 12:20:45 AM »
I'm having anxiety again, I'm TERRIFIED, suddenly afraid that I could have PCOS and will get diabetes. Can someone please help me?

I have some light blonde hairs in an area near my chin on my jaw line. I think they would be all over or darker though if it was PCOS? I have always had two moles with a few hairs on them on my cheeks. I have a few scattered hairs on my breasts, but none near/around my nipples. I do, though, have some thicker dark hair on my lower abdomen. I'm FREAKING out that I have PCOS.

Background - I had an eating disorder from age 13-16 and have always had disordered thoughts and behaviors. I'm around 170lbs now and 26 but I still have periods of anxiety where I don't eat until late, and lightly, to deal with my anxiety, trying not to re-trigger my ED. So the idea of having insulin sensitivity or diabetes makes me just want to die, because of my eating disorder past/disordered eating/distorted body image. And I can't handle doctor's visits because of anxiety over ED like stuff.

I DO HAVE normal periods, exact to the date they should come, they last 3 days of bleeding and then stop over the next day or two. And my abdominal hair hasn't gotten noticeably thicker over the last say... 7 or 8 years.

So - does it sound like I have PCOS? I'm freaking out so bad :( I know that lots of people have it and live normal lives but my anxiety over even having the insulin sensitivity is just sky high. (I tested my own blood sugar, fasting I think, a while ago because of unrelated health anxiety and it was normal then. I know that's not a guarantee, it's insulin levels, but that glucose can be an indicator). It's the dark hair on my lower abdomen that is freaking me out (and I guess my weight, but I've been around this weight for like... basically right after I recovered from my ED, where I weighed 100lbs, I'm 5'4"). Is darker lower abdominal hair normal or is it ALWAYS PCOS? :/

Okay, enough background info, I'm just so scared and I'm rambling :( Help?
Bookmark and Share

Offline BeeDot

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Re: PCOS fears
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 01:18:24 AM »
Well, I don't know how much I can help you out, but I'll try. 

Obviously not a doctor and cannot diagnose you.  I have PCOS, but don't fit all the usuals.  I am quite thin and thus go against the most common determining factor.  I had irregular periods (I mean REALLY irregular, I would go several months between periods and then have three in a row and then stop for another six months...) and increased hair growth on my face and nipples.

Usually, if weight is a concern, you literally cannot lose weight and you gain without doing anything different.  If you don't get a lot of exercise and you eat poorly/a lot, then PCOS is not the cause of your weight. 

Have you seen a therapist about your ED issues? 
Bookmark and Share
For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.  -Author Unknown

Offline hachiko

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 09:31:58 AM »
I have PCOS and i also don't fit the norm. I am thin, i had irregular periods in the past but all regular now that i had a child. I also got pregnant quickly on metformin! I don't have diabetes.. From what you describe, it doesn't sound like PCOS. Plus dark hair on your lower abdomen doesn't mean PCOS. If you are worried though, go see your doctor. You are worried anyway without seeing him, might as well be worried in his office where he can reassure you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bluemidnight

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 02:48:35 AM »
Thank you both for the replies. I really appreciate it.
BeeDot, I didn't get therapy, I worked through it with my family and friends. I am considering talk therapy though.

I am trying to be calmer, I was hoping that there are other things that can cause the lower abdominal hair, that it's not a default thing meaning it's PCOS.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BeeDot

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 10:50:42 AM »
Lower abdominal hair does not have to be caused by PCOS, but I'm not a doctor so I really can't say anything definitively.   I recommend asking a gyno about it during your next yearly visit.  On the off chance you DO have PCOS, it's much better to know and be aware of the risks so that you can take steps to prevent any negative outcomes.  Not all women with PCOS have diabetes. 

I do recommend therapy, it really is helpful to get professional advice. 
Bookmark and Share
For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.  -Author Unknown

Tags: PCOS