Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I've become a mess physically  (Read 212 times)

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I've become a mess physically
« on: February 08, 2014, 12:23:16 PM »
I've been dealing with a bad bout of health anxiety since right before Thanksgiving when I got heartburn out of no where. That set me on a path of crazy thinking I had stomach cancer until my GI did an upper endoscopy in early January. She found mild gastritis and some reflux. I'm back on prilosec begrudgingly to calm everything down until I she starts tapering me off at the end of this month. Took forever to get my stomach feeling somewhat normal and I still don't feel like my old self completely - even on this terrible bland diet. I've lost 3-4 pounds since January as well- probably from anxiety - but I only weigh 125 to begin with so of course I've been OCD about checking my weight 1-2 times a day.

As January continued I developed TMJ from subconsciously clenching my jaw during the day and night. It's so bad that it was affecting my breathing since my new misaligned jaw position from clenching no longer fit my tongue correctly causing it to sit further back in my mouth and block the airway. I was having trouble breathing and my chin muscles (muscles under jaw were tense and sore) which caused another panic/anxiety state. I had my dentist and ent doc look and all agree it's most likely TMJ. Great- but now I can't get my damn jaw to feel normal- looking into getting a bite guard and wisdom teeth out.

As if that wasn't enough I have not been sleeping well due to anxiety, jaw pain, and now awesome muscle aches and tension. I have burning in Palm of right hand and fleshy part of thumb, my hand feels arthritic and stiff and can get really cold out of no where. My legs have been sore and stiff like I have been working out when I haven't and knees have been cracking and feeling tight no matter what I do. I'm just so frustrated as this has spiraled from heartburn and I am now just a mess. Have an appointment with a rheumatologist on Thursday and am hoping this is not am autoimmune thing or arthritis but just stress.
I have been self testing strength in feet and arms like the crazy OCD person I am and freaked out last night when left pinky toe didn't want to move with other feet. I have to keep myself from lurking on ALS board.

I just want to feel normal. I miss being present in my life instead of thinking of different crazy diseases all day. Each pain I've experienced is real- how do I convince myself it's just anxiety?

Bookmark and Share

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I've become a mess physically
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 02:19:17 PM »
TMJ comes on when you are under stress.
 I have had it going strong for over a year now. I even have gone to PT for TMJ issues.
The one thing you have to do is relax. I know I am saying this and I have a hard time relaxing. That is the last thing someone with HA wants to be told.
I have calmed down some and what has helped is taking a 15 minute epsom salt bath (no more than that amount as epsom salt are magnesium and have a laxative effect).
I also take magnesium (in divided doses through the day).
Magnesium will help you sleep as well. Again watch the amount ingested as it does have the laxative effect.
I will take a Zantac 75 for acid reflux every now and again. A big part of that is watching the acidic foods that you eat and making sure that you are hydrated with plain old water.
I have a hard time sleeping at times and have been like that for what I can remember. I do acupuncture and I take Bach rescue Remedy Sleep remedy spray (I found it at Whole Foods). It helps. Also do not turn the TV on in the bedroom just before sleeping
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 04:36:39 PM »
I will have to look out for the spray. I was thinking of trying a de stress formulated tea since some of my work colleagues swear by them.

I can't believe at 27 I feel arthritic - I keep trying to tell myself it's just stress but it's so weird.
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 05:14:07 PM »
That's another elusive secret held by anxiety - how to calm down. For me, what works one day doesn't work on another day, but may work fine a week or two later. I have found that taking deep breaths helps. Breaths so deep that it takes focusing mentally to properly breath and manage the incoming air. It also activates the body's natural relaxation response. Usually a minute or two of this gets me past an attack. Laying down, or putting my head down on my desk at work doesn't always help either.

It's easier said than done, but do your best to manage your stress - don't add to your load if you don't have to. Stress leads to tension which tightens all your muscles like you said. It takes time, practice, and patience, but eventually you'll be able to overcome. Have faith and remember you're not alone. :)  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 08:15:09 PM »
TMJ is worse today. I slept for 4 hrs last night and was so uncomfortable. My right side of my throat and outside of neck now hurts (side with TMJ issues) and it hurts to swallow. I meet with an oral surgeon on Tuesday for wisdom tooth removal consult. I'm at a loss for how to help my TMJ in the interim- the dentist doesn't want to make me a custom mouth piece until my wisdom teeth come out at the end of the month. I guess I'll call him in the morning. Just frustrated- hands and feet hurt on and off still. I just want to feel normal.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: