Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: New to forum / 40 year old male health fears  (Read 140 times)

Offline Matteus

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New to forum / 40 year old male health fears
« on: February 07, 2014, 11:01:36 PM »
Hello,

Firstly, I've found this forum to be a great help these last few months, but have only now registered.  I've registered because I know how much I"ve benefited/am benefiting from reading other people's experiences and I hope I may help others in the same way.

Since turning 40 (in the last 12 months), I've developed various health phobias but predominantly cardiophobia/fear of heart attack-disease.  I've been to my doctor and the hospital a few times and I've recently had a battery of tests (regular EKG/stress EKG/chest x-ray/echocardiogram/blood work) and these have all come back normal.    Prior to being 40, I'd never been to a doctor since being a schoolboy.  I know that men can develop this overarching concern with health in their early 40s, first awareness of mortality etc.    Even though I can rationalise it, I still suffer from 'the fear'.   I find myself taking my pulse all the time, I've bought a home BP/heartrate monitor.  I get pains in my arm and shoulder, sometimes my chest.  When I go to the gym, I can't take my eyes off the HR monitor when doing cardio.   I tell myself it's nothing, it's all in my head and that I'm fine, and that works (to an extent)- but it's still a nightmare.

Anyway, reading this forum has really helped.  Thanks.  I hope to be able to contribute something in return.

Cheers.
Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New to forum / 40 year old male health fears
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 02:30:50 AM »
Hi Matteus,

Welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum. 

I understand the issues with turning 40 as I just did so a few months ago.  I have had heart fears for a few years, but they seemed to gain more strength after I hit the magical 4-0.  I think for me it comes down to acceptance.  I have had tests and they all check out and my doctor tells me not to worry and I need to accept that my heart is okay.  That is sometimes easier said than done.  However accepting the anxiety for what it is and that it is capable of causing all the physical symptoms has helped me a lot.  I wish you well and hope you can find the support you are looking for here.

Again welcome to our community.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline Matteus

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 02:35:04 AM »
Thanks for your kind welcome.

Real progress today.  Just back from the gym and I made myself not hold the heart rate panels continuously, rather just checking HR every few minutes. I predicted what my HR would be each time I checked and, each time, I  overestimated how fast my HR would be.  This really, really helped me to keep calm. Anyway, best workout in ages!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 02:59:00 AM »
Glad you registered.

Hope to hear how things are going!
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 06:11:10 PM »
Glad to hear you are making progress.  Facing our fears and pushing through the rough times gives us so much strength and really weakens the anxiety.  Good Job!!
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Tags: