Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: 24 Years, Clean & Sober...  (Read 629 times)

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 21
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
24 Years, Clean & Sober...
« on: February 07, 2014, 12:22:32 PM »
Hello Everyone!  Thank-you for taking the time to read my post...

Today is a very special day for me, and it is an honor to share it with all of you.  It was 24 years today, that I started on the road of sobriety.  More then anything, I give credit to the program of Alcoholic's Anonymous.  A. A.'s "one day at a time" teaching, has allowed me to put together over 8,700 days, linked together to create 24 years of living without a drink or drug.

My father was a chronic alcoholic.  As far as I know, he began drinking as a teenager, and was a drunk by the time he married my mother.  He died at the age of 42, his death caused by the effects of his drinking.

This time of the year always brings up actual happy memories of what my life was like 24 years ago.  I was a time where I got honest with others, but more importantly, I got honest with myself.  I was fortunate to be able to spend a month in one of the finest rehab facilities in the Nation.  That kept me in a cocoon of protection, and introduced me to the A. A. program.

I was also lucky that one of my best friends, Mike H., who had already been in A. A. for eight years prior to my entry, turned-out to be my first sponsor.  Mike and I shared many a meeting during the early years of my sobriety, and many one-on-one talk sessions.  He kept telling me, "It's a gift, Chuck!"  One night he mentioned the "gift" to me, and as I was driving home that night, it finally hit me, what Mike had meant.  That God was doing for me, what I could not do for myself.  The gift was my sobriety.

I can't begin to tell you how often I tried to quit on my own, but never could.  I use to stay up till midnight, and when the new day started I would say, "This is the day!  The day I'll get sober!"  By that evening, alcohol and/or drugs would be back in my system.  The definition of insanity, is doing the same thing over-and-over again, and expecting different results.  It was my Higher Power, that I choose to call God, that did for me what I couldn't do for myself, giving me the most precious gift of sobriety.  It means more to me then live itself, because it is my life.

A. A. is not for everyone, but all the other programs to treat alcoholism combined, can't come close to the success of Alcoholic's Anonymous.  It has been my program for 24 years, and million upon million that have come before me.

Thank-you for taking the time to read my post.  The very best to all of you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 209
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: 24 Years, Clean & Sober...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 01:08:39 PM »
So proud to call you my friend Chuck!  Congratulations to you!  What you did and continue to do shows a lot if strength and stamina in your part!  You are a true inspiration!  Happy special day to you!!  ;D
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 13
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 03:32:07 PM »
Wonderful post Chuck!  I'm happy that you had found something that helped you to successfully break your addictions.  I absolutely love success stories! 

Thank You for posting!   :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline nancyga13

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 04:47:08 PM »
That is awesome chuck!! God is awesome and works miracles in our lives everyday! That is definitely something to be proud of!!! So grab you some rocky road today  :laugh3:!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 05:24:47 PM »
Awesome achievement, glad you found your way back to a more fulfilling life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 90
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 06:02:35 PM »
Congratulations on your achievement, Chuck. I've never been much of a drinker, but I've seen many struggle to give alcohol up and to stay off which is the hardest part, so I have some appreciation of how difficult this was for you.

Well done!   :happy0151:

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 11:04:56 PM »
Congratulations Chuck!  Great work.  I also put faith in a Higher Power since it keeps me going.   :happy0151:

Steve
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 10:21:55 PM »
So very proud of you Chuck!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kindra11

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 01:31:47 AM »
That is amazing Chuck!! Congratulations!! You are a true inspiration to the rest of us trying to change bad habits  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Broken, But Not Destroyed

Offline jane134

• Rec's: 35
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 01:02:12 PM »
Brilliant post, Chucko. Well done on your achievement. I am sure this will be inspirational for many people going through the same issue.   :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
In order to fly, you have to unload the stuff that weighs you down.

Offline donjimmy

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 06:15:13 PM »
well done! very courageous listening that
Bookmark and Share

Offline Manny01

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 12:03:40 PM »
Congrats Chuck on an amazing achievement. You are an inspiration. I too was an "AAer". I just never could make the commitment to stick to it. I had my 3 year chip about 5 years ago. Then binged. It just wasn't my thing. I know..."you mean getting drunk is?"...lol. I really don't have the answer for that one....YET..but I'm still looking. I just felt that sitting in meetings. hearing and telling the same story made me feel like even acknowledging the fact that I was an alcoholic just drove me crazy with the cravings. Anyways, congrats on YOUR story and life....I hope I can find the same in these corridors.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: