Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New to forum  (Read 123 times)

Offline colorlessideas

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New to forum
« on: February 07, 2014, 11:33:16 AM »
I decided to join because I realize that my anxiety has gotten out of control. Specifically I worry about my health, but there are other things too, like family, personal relationships, work.

I have my first appointment with a psychiatrist next week. I do not know if this will be the right approach for me or not, but I thought I would see what she had to say.

Basically I get very panicked when something minor happens. Other people seem to be able to just move on, and i don't have that ability. I miss work because I've been going to the doctor, completely convinced I have some major problem. A stressful thing pops up at work and it manages to ruin my entire day because I can't relax.

I'm hoping to be able to talk to other people going through similar things as a start my journey to get help.

Looking forward to sharing and talking with others.
Bookmark and Share
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: New to forum
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 04:38:19 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
About your first psychiatrist visit.

I just had my first one yesterday.

She came off rather intimidating at first and I was instantly at a loss for words,

If you're afraid you're going to leave something out (you most likely won't) write it down on paper just to ease your mind that everything will be okay.

IF yours seems intimidating at first know that it will be okay once you start expressing your concerns, he or she is there to help you, and if they know you know that, it will be a great relationship between you too.

I asked a lot of questions, just to build a foundation and to understand what she prescribed me.

If it is a concern to you, minor or major, it is a responsible approach and perfectly fine to seek professional help.

Go in with an open mind, aside from what you already know, and after the questions she asks and reads back your issues from a professional standpoint it is the most relieving feeling. Let us know how it goes.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline colorlessideas

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 10:49:39 AM »
Thank you for the helpful advice. I am a little nervous about going but I know it's an important step.

I am hoping she will listen to my concerns about side effects, addiction, etc. I am not expecting a quick fix, but I'm hoping to get on the right track for me.

Writing things down sounds like a good strategy.
Bookmark and Share
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 01:25:42 PM »
I know you're going to feel like you're not going to fit in everything that you have to say... but most importantly, be honest an thorough, but save the questions until the end.

It's best to go in there with a clear and calm open mind, let her do the questions and you do the answering. It's going to be tough, I'm not going to sugar coat it. but believe me, the second you walk out of that office you will feel like 100 lb sand bag was pulled off your shoulders.

In all honesty it's crazy to say this, but I had a lot of things written down, but it was just for my personal comfort that I wasn't going to forget anything, heck I even left the paper in the parking garage when I went up.

You will be amazed some of the information she can pull out of you, (events, situations, problems) that you never have even thought about since they had happened years ago.

If there is any place to be more open and emotional, cry for help in that office. You know that she can tell you what's wrong.

Best of luck to you!

P.S.

Talking about addiction and side effects, medication in general...

They will most likely talk about the medication she wants to put you on at the end of the screening.

I spent a good 10 minutes talking to her about the side effects, addiction potential, how to take, when to take, what happens if the dosage doesn't cover it. will I be tapered off.

All those questions. but ask them. it shows responsibility and builds trust with your psychiatrist. I pushed mine a little too far... about 10 minutes past her 10 am appointment, but I know I had my bases covered.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Tags: