Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How do you stop your negative thinking?  (Read 192 times)

Offline Vedabug54

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How do you stop your negative thinking?
« on: February 06, 2014, 12:44:25 PM »
Hi all. Just curious what are some ways that help you stop the negative thoughts in your head? I am so over the constant worry and feeling sick with anxiety... My biggest issue is I feel my worry is keeping me safe.. If I am constantly thinking about it, if It happens I will immediately catch it. I have a bad fear of blood clots. Ive had like8-9 negative ultrasounds on my legs in the past 5 years.. Thats more ultrasounds than people that have HAD blood clots before... Its insanity... I deal with leg pains all the time, and know its anxiety ridden and think im going to die any moment.... I want to take my life back today! So im looking for any helpful tips to help me. I dont want to be afraid any longer
Bookmark and Share

Offline EverydaySunshine

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How do you stop your negative thinking?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 01:15:15 PM »
The biggest thing that helped me when I am really in the throws of daily anxiety is trying to keep my worry from taking over my every thought all day.  So I designated 1 hour every day for worry...and thats all.  If I got a worrying feeling outside of that time, I would write down the worry, and tell myself that I would make sure that I would think about that at the next "worry time".

What I found was - many of the things that scared me so bad at the time were no longer things I worried about at the worry time (these panic moments have a short shelf life!!)  When I would see all the things that scare me written down, it gave me a real good idea of how my anxiety was working, and it really helped get me through the worry long term.

Hope it helps for you.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 02:47:41 PM »
I stopped Googling completely and it cured my anxiety and negative thinking.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 02:57:39 PM »
I actually spoke with my therapist yesterday about being concerned about stopping worrying because then I'll "miss" a symptom, and she reminded me that even if I stop worrying about my health to an obsessive extent (to where it's truly a disorder), I'm still going to be very vigilant about my health because my time with hypochondria has me wired that way. Working out your problems won't let you "miss" something - it will allow you to be logical while being vigilant and not have the fear and panic attached to it.

Stopping Googling has helped me a lot. I also like to use self talk, sort of like being in a third person conversation with yourself to disprove your anxious thoughts. For example, consider starting to worry about your fingernail cracking. (Something that sucks but isn't lethal - don't want to stress yourself too bad). Now - picture it in your head. Think about how terrible it could be. Imagine everything it's be like to have your fingernail crack. Now, don't worry about it. Forget about it happening. Give yourself a couple hours to focus on something else. Then look at your fingernail. Has it cracked because you stopped worrying about it? I bet not! Same works for blood clots and other disorders when you attach superstition to them.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Tags: