Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Panicked about mole  (Read 170 times)

Offline Kantsas

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Panicked about mole
« on: February 05, 2014, 08:14:02 PM »
Late last year I started noticing a mole under my right leg was looking a little different.  I had noticed it a couple of years ago and it looked like a "mole" (it was actually seborrheic keratosis) that I had removed very near it so I didn't think too much of it. 

Anyway a few months ago I realized it was looking a little different, but I couldnít quite put my finger on how. It was raised and black and kinda warty, but underneath the black there was the tan/brown area. It seemed like the black part was coming off and the brown part was replacing it.

Then in early January of this year I looked at it and...ALL THE BLACK PART WAS GONE! The mole had changed, and also seemed a little bigger. So I immediately made an appointment to see a dermatologist. Fortunately there are a lot of clinics in my city and I was in the next day. The derm was a very nice guy, gave me a full body check with a dermatoscope  (I have a LOT of moles and other weird little things going on) and then he looked at the mole I was concerned with last.

He asked me if it had been there my whole life and I said ďI donít know, itís on the back of my leg. I can't really see back thereĒ and he considered it for a second and said ďWell I think itís ok, but letís take a picture of it and schedule you to come in for a follow up in a year.Ē

Now the whole time I was hoping that he wouldnít say ďOh yeah thatís going to have to come off.Ē But I wish he had because now! I canít let go of the idea that he missed something or that he could tell from how anxious I was that I didnít want it removed so he just told me what I wanted to hear.

I canít stop obsessing about it. I had to see a GP this week because Iíve been having panic attacks and I canít sleep. He put me on Lexapro which is helping but I still feel like Iím going to go nuts.

My wife is tired of hearing me talk about it and obsess over it. She keeps telling me ďIf the doctor didnít think it was anything serious he wouldnít have let you walk out of the office!Ē

Iím thinking of going in and just having it removed for my piece of mind, but I also donít want everyone to think Iím crazy. I donít know what to do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MOchp

• Anxiety Magnet
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • Living in Fear of My Own Body
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panicked about mole
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 03:13:53 AM »
Derms really are the best people to see about skin worries obviously since that is their speciality and they can see a "bad mole" from a mile away. If it was the least bit concerning to him then he would have had it tested. Try to take comfort in that fact. I know some people request to have them taken off for cosmetic reasons or because of being worried, so I doubt they'd think you are crazy. Whether or not you request that is up to you of course.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kantsas

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 11:02:44 AM »
Thanks, I know that a dermatologist has a lot more experience and knowledge than I do just from googling pictures of melanoma.

It just worries me because the mole is fairly large and really seems like it's gotten bigger. I hope it's just another SK, but he said it was a congenital nevus so I don't know.

Bookmark and Share

Offline BeeDot

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 11:21:27 AM »
Skin cancer runs in my family and I have already had three moles removed.  Trust me, they don't play around with that stuff.  When my doctor thought it looked even slightly suspicious, off it came.  If you're really concerned, get a second opinion, nothing wrong with that, so long as you stop there.  No need to see 12 dermatologists : )  If you do see another derm, be sure to tell them how long you *think* it's been there, even if it's just a guess and tell them the changes you've noticed.  And, like Mochp said, you can always request that it come off.  It only takes a few minutes and they do it right there in the office.

But, if the first derm you saw thinks it's ok, it likely really is ok. 
Bookmark and Share
For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.  -Author Unknown

Offline Kantsas

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 06:23:48 PM »
Beedot: You're probably right about the second opinion. This is my problem though, and it's stupid, but I'm worried about getting a biopsy because I know that I'll be a freaking wreck waiting for the results to come in.
I have a really high pressure job (which definitely adds to my anxiety) and I can't afford to be off my game due to stress and worry even for a day.

Though the last time I had a mole (the SK) removed he was telling me the whole time "Oh I don't think this is anything at all, it looks just like a benign sk...so that helped.

If you don't mind me asking how does your family deal with the history of skin cancer? I don't have one in mine which is a mixed blessing because while it reduces my chances it also means that growing up no one was concerned about time in the sun etc. Hell, my sister runs a tanning company!
Bookmark and Share

Offline BeeDot

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 12:49:56 AM »
Waiting for results can be tough.  The first time I had a mole removed, I was fine until later that day when I realized....I might have skin cancer right now!  But, now, I figure, I did the right thing by getting a test.  If something is wrong, I'll deal with it when/if it comes up.  So much better than just worrying about a problem but never doing anything about it.  If you do decide to get it removed, feel free to PM me while you're waiting for the results and we can talk it out.

Well, I was a very outdoors-y kid and I got sunburned allll the time.   There was definitely talk about sunscreen and most of the time I try to be really careful, but as a kid away at summer camp....well, not so good all the time.  I think we are all aware that skin cancer is a real concern so we all go to the dermatologist once a year and we pay attention to what's going on with our bodies.  When I lived at home, I used to have my mom put lotion on my back at night and so she would always see if there was anything that needed attention. 

It's a little scary knowing that it runs in the family, but at least I'm aware that it's an issue, I guess. 
Bookmark and Share
For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.  -Author Unknown

Tags: