Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Do you feel like a different person w/o anxiety?  (Read 589 times)

Offline Lily120

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Do you feel like a different person w/o anxiety?
« on: February 05, 2014, 07:23:02 PM »
I've had GAD since I was a really young kid. There's never been a "me" without GAD, no better person to go back to, so I have to move forward and change who I've been. I'm in my 20's now. Sometimes it's hard for me to imagine changing something that's been with me my whole life, but I refuse to sit back and stay the same.

When I'm not as anxious, I do feel like my real self is present. Maybe I've been there all along, buried under anxiety and waiting to come out.

When you aren't as anxious, do you feel like a different person?
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Do you feel like a different person w/o anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 11:26:09 PM »
Lily,

This is a great post question you have here.  So often I find anxiety boards and chat rooms focus on the negative, the illness...rather
than on cures and breakthroughs.

I can tell you that without anxiety, I feel like a very different person.  A loving, happy, hopeful person.

I've been lucky in that for the past 20 years, my bipolar ii was been well managed with meds.  But recently
I've been feeling some GAD.  The other day, I sat before my lightbox for 30 minutes, did buddhist chanting and exercise.
And I had a totally anxiety free day.  It was great.

Today I did the same thing, but there was more anx. because my work day had some real stressors.  I'm hoping
that as I continue the lightbox treatment, the GAD will start to fade away.

** Have you noticed what allows you to feel less anxious?  Just as there are triggers for anxiety, I think there are triggers for well-being.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lily120

Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 12:26:54 AM »
Hi Worldbeat,

Thanks for replying! It's great to hear from someone, especially with such an insightful response as yours.

That's great you've had success with your lightbox, chanting and exercise. Having tools that we can use to deal with anxiety is invaluable.

Some of the things that reduce my anxiety are exercise (ballet to relieve anxiety and yoga for deeper relaxation), deep (slow) breathing, socializing, reading a good book, guided meditation, laughter, writing. Fresh air does me wonders, too.

What kind of exercise do you do, if you don't mind me asking? Do you feel like certain types of exercise are more or less helpful to you? I'm curious about buddhist chanting - what does it involve and how does it reduce anxiety? Can anyone do it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline tamsankaur

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 12:42:35 AM »
I am 19 years old so age wise I can relate to you. I haven't had anxiety for a really, really long time so I am not sure how much my answer will help you.

When I am not anxious, I feel happier more upbeat. Everything I do in my day is my true self. When you are anxious, you are anxious. That is a part of you. I have come to realize that I am still the same person when I am anxious. My true self is still within me. I am just experiencing an emotion/feeling. Regardless, of that emotion or feeling, beneath all of it is always my true self. The person I am. Whether or not I am anxious, my true self will always remain within me. Though you say you have never lived life without anxiety, therefore, you do not know your true self,  I believe you do know your true self. You know what state you want to be in. An emotion like anxiety is not pleasant, but I don't think it can change who you are as a person. I have come to realize very slowly that I have to accept anxiety as a part of myself. In doing so, I was able to realize that throughout the majority of my day I act like myself. I am the "me" that I felt I had lost because of anxiety. It's just that at times I can't look past my anxiety to see that person. I hope this helps you. I am not sure if I answered your question correctly.

Tasman
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lily120

Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 12:55:52 AM »
Hi Tamasn, your response is great. I think you're right that our true selves are still there regardless of how anxiety makes us feel about ourselves.  How are you doing?
Bookmark and Share

Offline tamsankaur

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 01:32:56 AM »
Thank you! I am doing pretty good. Yesterday and today weren't an easy days so I feel a bit stressed and anxious, but it's nothing that won't go away within a couple of days. How are you?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sally1959

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 03:43:19 AM »
Everyone experiences anxiety differently, for me I don't feel like it is apart of my true self, but rather something that keeps my personality trapped under lock and key. They're two separate entities for me and I can distinguish them but I can't get rid of the anxiety.

When I'm not living under the shadow of this, I feel just like myself. When I am dealing with it, I feel like myself all chained up. Sometimes myself goes away entirely and I feel like a walking, talking disorder. It's hard to explain it. I have been dealing with this for a long time but it has gotten incredibly worse in the last year and a half and I'm thinking that my 'true' self is going to have to be rebuilt if I'm going to ever thrive again. Sorry if I'm not making sense, I don't really understand it much.

But those windows where I'm free of it are what keep me going, and thank you for reminding me of them, I needed that today.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tamsankaur

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 01:49:31 PM »
For the longest time I felt the same way as you Sally. I would have days where I was anxiety free and I would say to myself "oh my gosh, I feel like myself again!" Every time I felt like myself, I would be quick to remind myself that this is my "true state." Even when I talked about my anxiety, I talked about it like it was some alien force not apart of me. My psychologist had to work with me to really make me understand that everyone gets anxious and it is normal. One of the things my psychologist has made me realize is that my "true self" will never be taken over by anxiety, which happened to be a big relief to me because I didn't want to lose who I was as a person in the process of treating my anxiety. It's really hard to change a person completely. Your habits are most likely the same. It's just when we have anxiety we feel like completely different people, but others can see that though a little may have changed because we have anxiety, we are pretty much the same people with the same habits. I hope this gives your some relief or helps you. I know for a fact that I wanted my true self to remain intact while I dealt with anxiety because I didn't want to lose myself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lily120

Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 03:04:08 PM »
Tamsan, I'm doing well today. Feeling hopeful and strong. I'm sorry you weren't having the best couple of days, and I hope it's turning around for you now.

It's a relief to hear that the true self can't be taken over by anxiety. It gives me more strength moving forward to know that I will always be myself, no matter how much anxiety makes me feel otherwise.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Lily120

Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 03:06:09 PM »
Sally, your post makes complete sense. Looking at it from that perspective, I can see how I've felt like that too - my real self trapped inside when my anxiety takes precedence. I'm glad my post helped remind you of those "windows." When I'm really anxious I tend to forget things like that, too.

It's like I have a mental block from all things non-anxiety related when I'm highly anxious. Does anyone else here have that problem with forgetting helpful, anxiety-reducing things while in the midst of anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Offline tamsankaur

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 04:39:16 PM »
Lily, I am glad I was able to give you a little bit of strength when it comes to not losing yourself. I know how important it was and still is for me to be myself regardless of this anxiety, and I know I was really relieved to know that anxiety won't change who I am. Other than that, I am feeling a lot better. Things have started to turn. I wasn't too happy yesterday, nevertheless, each day is different and I feel a lot hopeful and optimistic today!  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 12
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 10:02:59 PM »
My earliest memory is one filled with fearůso anxiety has literally always been a part of me.  As I've gotten older, I've learned to make it a part of me.  Even with an SSRI, I still have obsessive thoughts, I just guide them so they become a help rather than a hinderance.  At work, I use it to research the heck out of something and at home, my husband knows that the vacation will be planned and I will have uncovered everything there is to uncover about a destination.

I've often thought that I would love to just be "normal" but with age comes acceptance I guess LOL
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 05:14:16 PM »
Most definitely, I had 31 years without serious anxiety or depression (ie whatever I experienced was transitory and easily managed) then when I had my first panic attack everything changed.  In the decade or so between the three episodes I have endured (well I'm still dealing with episode three) I found, with medication and time, myself again and practically forgot about how it felt to be in the midst of this illness.  For one thing, its normal not to feel physically sick/weak every day, let alone depressed or anxious without good reason.  I am still a risk adverse person when I am in remission, as I was before I got sick, but still its like night and day.  In between episodes agoraphobia goes away and I get more interested in travelling, my hobbies, other people, and exercising.  Waking up is no longer a chore, and I can drink tea and even coffee sometimes, which I cannot even contemplate until my brain heals again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 05:17:18 PM »
I just added my photo to my profile.  I like being open and visible.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lily120

Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 09:11:26 PM »
Lily, I am glad I was able to give you a little bit of strength when it comes to not losing yourself. I know how important it was and still is for me to be myself regardless of this anxiety, and I know I was really relieved to know that anxiety won't change who I am. Other than that, I am feeling a lot better. Things have started to turn. I wasn't too happy yesterday, nevertheless, each day is different and I feel a lot hopeful and optimistic today!  :happy0151:

Tamsan, that's great advice, to remember that each day is different. I sometimes get stuck in a mindset where I forget that things can and do change. Thanks for the reminder. Hope you are doing well!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: