Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Is my body temperature normal??  (Read 412 times)

Offline psychopika

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
Is my body temperature normal??
« on: February 05, 2014, 06:48:07 AM »
In the past 3 months I've been under huge stress about my health. I'm a big hypochondriac and I've been convinced that I have some cancer inside me. I'm 28 and I've done numerous tests, blood tests, ultrasounds, mri etc and I've yet failed to find anything seriously wrong with me. In 3 months I've been convinced that I have (and still am) lymphoma, ovarian cancer, pancreatic cancer, bone cancer in my ribs, bone cancer in my neck, hepatitis, a tumor in my chest, HIV, lupus, diabetes... and now I'm worried about bladder cancer because my bladder lining looks a bit thickened on an ultrasound. This needs to end! I need a break!

During these months I've started having mild night sweats (like sweat on my chest, around my underwear, etc. - where the skin folds). I only sweat when I'm covered in the blanket. I don't need clothes change or anything but it's distressing like my temperature doesn't regulate as it should. In November when it all started I began sweating 1 night a week, now I'm sweating 2 nights out of 3, but I'm not sweating MORE, just more often. Also emotionally I'm a mess, I've been afraid and stressed out every single day for 3 months.

During the day I'm tense and I often feel my face & neck are burning and my hands are cold. I've also started getting hot/cold, weird menthol-like sensations in my arms and feet/legs, especially on my left side, and especially when I am even more stressed out than usual. When I focus on these sensations they get worse.

I started taking my temperature too, to check for a fever and noticed it differs according to my menstrual cycle. Before ovulation, it's around 97.7F (36.5C) at 8pm & 97F (36.1C) at 6am, but after ovulation it goes way up to almost 98.8F (37.3) at 8pm & 98.1F (36.7) at 6am. I'm taking my temperature orally.

Is this considered a fever? I wasn't taking my temperatures before but 98.8 (37.3) orally seems a lot. Or not? I get the night sweating no matter of my temperatures or cycle phase.

I just don't know where to look for f*cking cancers any more... am I running a fever or not? I don't FEEL feverish, just overly stressed!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is my body temperature normal??
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 07:29:45 AM »
It is EXTREMELY normal for temperatures to rise at LEAST point 4 degrees or higher after ovulation.  In fact this is how many people use natural BC to know when ovulation has take place (to know when you are fertile) - it's called the Sympto Thermal Method.   Your body temperature rises and stays risen until you get your period again.
98.8 is not considered a fever (although I go nuts if it's over 98.3 because I'm one who obsesses over those things too, but logically NO it is not a fever.  Not even 99.1 - or if you are hot, I've taken my temp after sitting in a HOT bath for 20 minutes and got a temp of 101.1!   (it went back to normal in about an hour) - if you are sweating it will be down.
Anxiety can raise your temp.  Last year I was getting 99.3, 99.4... freaking out... so my husband's usual response, "Take a Xanax" LOL!  So I did and guess what?   The temperature went back to normal!  Then I read where stress and anxiety can raise your body temperature.  Not that 98.8 is a FEVER, but in case yours DOES go over 99, don't freak out  :winking0008:- so stress/anxiety can definitely be the culprit.  But like I said temp going up mid cycle is 100% normal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 07:38:05 AM »
Your temperature is typically lower in the morning and higher in the evening.
Sometimes when I get up, mine may be as low as 96.9. A fever is not until your reach 100.0.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 7
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 07:38:16 AM »
My normal temp is 96.9 to 97.4.  When it got to 99.9, I had the true flu and felt horrible.  Just because the 'book' says 98.6, that doesn't mean everyone will have the exact temp. What's normal for you, is normal for you.

I get night sweats if I sleep in a certain pair of thick and fuzzy p.j.'s and sleep under blankets. My husband is the one who mentioned the jammies.  He asked 'Why do you sleep in those when they always make you so hot after a few minutes?'  Ah Ha!

Also, stress can make your temp rise. If you are taking your temp and start to freak out, it'll go higher, as will your b/p.  YIKES what we do to ourselves!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 07:44:18 AM »
I am the same way, as I typically run a low temperature. The problem arises is that studies show what normal
temperatures are and don't really take into account aberrations.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline psychopika

• Rec's: 0
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 07:57:43 AM »
Thank you so much for answering!

@Sunlover - I wish I could take a Xanax pill! It would show if my higher temperatures are anxiety-related or not. I'm currently actually trying to conceive - another possibly stressful experience, but I do want to get pregnant before I'm 30, hope I will be lucky and manage to do that. But I can't take any anti-anxiety medication at this time and this is what makes it all even more difficult to deal with. I'm drug-free and borderline insane :) After I give birth I plan to follow a medical treatment for my anxiety and OCD. But it's relaxing to know stress can raise the temperature even above 99.0, maybe I'm not running a fever after all.

About my night sweats - they're absolutely bizarre, I get them when my temps are low and I get them when my temps are higher. At one point I was so OBSESSED that I woke up every 2 hours to take my temps and make sure I'm not running a fever that's causing the sweats. Of course, I didn't. I suppose anxiety can do crazy things to people.

I've been suffering from anxiety for 8 years but I never thought it would get AS BAD AS THIS. I can absolutely no longer tell which of my symptoms are real and which are my anxiety. I can no longer tell which of my interpretations are objective and which are caused by my mental illness. I can no longer trust my mind and my body. It's Hell is what it is :(

Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 08:17:11 AM »
I could relate to the stress of trying to get pregnant.  I too wanted to have a baby before age 30 (I did make it, 8 months before my 30'th bd!  :happy0151: ) but it is stressful trying to beat that clock,
Bookmark and Share

Tags: