Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Klonopin and Liver or Gallbladder Pain?  (Read 353 times)

Offline ImObsessed

• "We're all here distracting ourselves until we die." -( J.J. Abrams)
  • Rec's: 2
  • Im an egomaniac with low self esteem
    • Poke This Member
Klonopin and Liver or Gallbladder Pain?
« on: February 05, 2014, 05:29:28 AM »
I have been prescribed klonopin .5 at night before bed. I have been on and off this med a few times. I notice that after a month on Klonopin I develop URQ (upper right quadrant pain). I have ha URQ on and off for decades. Greasy food, alcohol etc will being it on. I have had ultrasounds etc. My blood tests are normal. So my doctor isn't concerned.
Im worried that the URQ is liver pain caused by the klonopin.
How likely is this?
I also take prozac. Just bumped it to 20mg from 10
Bookmark and Share
Im obsessed with my health and my current obsession is my liver.

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Klonopin and Liver or Gallbladder Pain?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 06:33:35 AM »
I would be more questioning your drinking whilst you are on this medication. Ever stop to think that the drink might be causing the issues. Bit of interaction with the medication in a bad way. I'm no expert. Just giving my own opinion. I take klonopin too and have no such issues at all. But I don't drink. Maybe try a month drink free and see if there are any changes at all. Trial and error.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 06:42:53 AM »
Im worried that the URQ is liver pain caused by the klonopin.

Unlikely, especially given you have a history of this, plus 0.5mg is a tiny dose. The maximum is 20mg/day.

Benzodiazepines are not considered hepatotoxic, however, they may cause an elevation of transaminases (transaminases alanine transaminase (ALT), aspartate transaminase (AST), etc) and alkanline phosphatase liver enzymes, but this should not cause pain, though elevated alkanline phosphatase levels are also a sign of impaired bile function which can produce considerable pain. Liver function blood tests should have picked up a problem if there was one.

PS: Do you also get pain in the upper back and lower neck?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline ImObsessed

• "We're all here distracting ourselves until we die." -( J.J. Abrams)
  • Rec's: 2
  • Im an egomaniac with low self esteem
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 12:30:41 AM »
Its more under the right rib and wraps around to the back. Its not severe or gut wrenching, just annoying. The pain seems to hurt on movement, like when I twist or turn. Feels like a stitch. Today it was fine, no pain. Yesterday I took the Klonopin with food. I notice it bothers me more on an empty stomach before bed. It comes and goes. 

Yes I read that Klonopin is not really toxic to the liver. People with liver disease may have a build up of the drug due to slower elimination. So thats reassuring. I don't think I have liver disease but I like to assume I do and avoid any meds or chemicals that can potentially make it worse. For example, I NEVER take tylenol.

I haven't had a drink in 4 years BTW. When I was drinking, my ultrasound showed a severe and enlarged fatty liver. Last year I had a follow up ultrasound which was basically normal except for "mild heterogeneous echo texture  possibly due to mild patches of fat". By blood tests are all normal. Regardless, I like to assume there is some damage from the drinking and proceed cautiously

Bookmark and Share
Im obsessed with my health and my current obsession is my liver.

Offline insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 01:46:10 AM »
Its more under the right rib and wraps around to the back. Its not severe or gut wrenching, just annoying. The pain seems to hurt on movement, like when I twist or turn. Feels like a stitch.

This sounds like a muscle problem. If so, Klonopin could be having a small additive affect to an existing issue as the benzodiazepines are muscle relaxants, but this is drawing a longish bow.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.