Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Do you think GAD is curable/treatable?  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Lily120

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Do you think GAD is curable/treatable?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 10:47:42 PM »
curing and treating are the flip side of the same faced coin.

Anxiety is a mental state with physical symptoms. You can take a headache away by taking acetaminophen... but if not going to keep you from ever getting them again.

The fact that every person's brain is different, in how we're wired and how clean slated chalkboard was written upon... I don't see any cure for anxiety unless you just treat it with self-help, medication, meditation, and denial.

It still lurks. I mean look at medication that they distribute... SSRI's... You see growth in the hippocampus  but why? it does, but why?

Why doesn't one medication treat ALL Anxiety sufferers.

Why does self-help treat one person but not the other?

I 100% believe that you can treat your anxiety by even simply changing your perspective on anxiety-related things... but I don't think that there could be some sort of cure-all remedy. Just like an alcoholic who's been sober for 20 years could still be susceptible to a relapse. If you get to the state of mind of being anxiety-free you choose to be anxiety-free regardless of medication or other treatment... and you've learned how to control your anxiety, but it doesn't really mean that it's not still there. Anxiety exists in EVERYONE... that's what keeps us alive.

Potatoes, I really like your name! ;D Also, I like your perspective on, well, perspective. I've noticed changing my perspective about my anxiety has influenced its affect on me, reduced the feeling that it has power over me. I've also discovered that my disorder is not anxiety the emotion itself, it's more about how my brain functions and how I respond to my anxious feelings. I'm not looking to dispatch my anxiety, per se, just the dysfunction.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lily120

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 10:54:31 PM »
I agree, we all have the anxiety 'button' naturally built in us for survival---the fight or flight response.  And that response is all fine and well when it fires at appropriate times, for the reason it was put in us---to fight or flee.  I don't think most of us want to get rid of that particular type of 'anxiety'.  It's the firing of the alarm when there is no danger present, type of anxiety that we can live without.
 Now, I'm talking about anxiety with no medical reason, like in hypothyroidism or other medical issues that can cause it.  I'm talking about the type of anxiety that we create out of our fears or from living under undo stress. Fear is the trigger for the symptoms of anxiety, so I suppose if we figure out what it is that we fear, and work on eliminating that fear, or coming to terms with it, then we can manage our anxiety, or reduce it to appropriate levels to have a better quality of life.  The same goes for stress; too much stress will make anyone anxious or tense, so learning how to deal with stress in a way that can minimize it's effects would probably help get anxiety down too. 
If 'cure' means getting rid of anxiety for the rest of our lives, that would be ideal, but I think the 'cure' is a daily work in progress. One step at a time, one day at a time, one challenge at a time, that is how to overcome it.

CarrieAnn, I agree about the step by step process of dealing with anxiety. On another note, as someone who has had anxiety my entire life, I wonder if there is more to the cause of my anxiety disorder that scientific research could help me understand better. Personally, my ideal GAD "cure" would be to build up my capacity to deal with anxiety and stress to the point that I do not become incapacitated by it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tim Servo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 12:53:26 AM »
I'd say GAD is treatable, since a lot of people have had great success using medication and/or therapy. I myself had pretty good results from medication for about 7 years.
I don't think it's curable though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LawlietShoujo

• What's meant to be will always find a way.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 01:47:23 AM »
I do believe it can be cured. Because of my own struggle with GAD, I've done a lot of research on the issue, and I don't know if it's true, since the Internet isn't always reliable, but I've read about people who managed to overcome their anxiety completely, and nowadays live without having to worry about it. I'm holding onto that hope, and considering how much I have "evolved", I think I might one day put this issue behind me completely.
Bookmark and Share
"If you want to escape the everyday, you must constantly evolve."

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 09:23:32 PM »
Tim, that's cool you've had success with GAD using meds.  Could you tell me what you've used?
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 11:12:20 PM »
I've been reading about amazing results using Buspar to treat GAD.  I'm very curious to try it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 12:57:00 AM »
Lily, I've been hearing great results for GAD with Buspar.  I want to try that.  I'll let you know how I like it!

And for someone who didn't click with Buspar, they had good luck with Lexapro.  Those are two meds I've heard
good word of mouth for.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: