Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Small Bump Behind Navel: Possible hernia or normal tissue?  (Read 339 times)

Offline Firecress

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Small Bump Behind Navel: Possible hernia or normal tissue?
« on: February 04, 2014, 09:12:51 PM »
When I stick my finger into my belly button and wiggle it around, I can feel a pea-sized, soft lump. It feels almost like it's attached to the "root" of my navel, so I wonder if it might just be umbilical scar tissue (from however the belly button heals internally), but I'm also worried it could be a hernia. No pain, and I haven't done anything that I'd think would cause a hernia, but I still worry that I need to get examined. And then I start going to the worst-case scenario and panicking about abdominal surgery. I googled and and some people apparently can feel lumps in fat tissue there?

Does anyone else have this? Is it normal?  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Small Bump Behind Navel: Possible hernia or normal tissue?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 10:50:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure that is normal, lol. I have the same thing. It's a part of your belly button. What are you doing inspecting it, anyway?

A hernia is totally different.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 02:44:33 PM »
If it's ANY kind of hernia it's a belly button hernia.  My husband has one, but it's about the size of a grape.  He JUST was to the doctor for his regular check up, he pushed on it, it was soft, he asked my husband if it hurt - he said it didn't and the doctor just waved his hand and said don't worry about it. (his just came out of nowhere, it's not like it was small and grew).  So I wouldn't worry about it as long as it doesn't hurt and is soft.  And if obviously doesn't get bigger, my husband had his the same size for a year.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Peanut the kidnapper (UK)

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 11:11:33 AM »
Sunlover - does your husband still have it? I've just been diagnosed as having the same thing and to be honest I'm getting a bit stressed about leaving it. The doctor said it should be fine, but he's the same one who's always trying to rush me off my GAD medication!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 01:41:32 PM »
Hi Peanut,

I am a male in my mid 50's and I have had it for the last 5 years...

Your Dr. is correct, "when he says it's o.k. " - I went to three different doctors to get additional opinions - and they all said "It was nothing to worry about"...

It called an "umbilical hernia" it fairly common as people get older, this type of hernia is considered generally "harmless" - my doctor smiled and said "if you are going to have one - this is the best one to have".

If you gain weight, like I did, it will become more pronounced - and as you lose weight, it become less pronounced.

It is embarrassing to have it -  but it is considered "harmless" - especially since your Doctor has already looked at it.

It doesn't go away, I am told there is a simple 'mesh surgery' that is an outpatient procedure.

At this time, I have elected not have the 'mesh surgery' - since it mostly cosmetic (it looks ugly  ::) ) and not a health issue.

But, the bottom line - Your Doctor has checked it, it is common, and there is no need to worry as far as health and safety are concerned.

You will do just fine,

In the future you can speak with your Dr. about the different options to place a "mesh" around the area for cosmetic purposes if you wish.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Now, make sure to take care of yourself and RELAX ! :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Peanut the kidnapper (UK)

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 11:08:56 AM »
Thanks Never-Quit. That makes me feel better about it. :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 01:34:52 PM »
Sunlover - does your husband still have it? I've just been diagnosed as having the same thing and to be honest I'm getting a bit stressed about leaving it. The doctor said it should be fine, but he's the same one who's always trying to rush me off my GAD medication!

I just saw this post today...  yes, my husband still has it - never caused any sort of problems.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: