Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Newbie looking for advice/ insight. Nocturnal panic, health anxiety etc  (Read 231 times)

Offline HRB39

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and wanted to share my story.

I have been dealing with anxiety most of my life and had enjoyed a mostly anxiety free life over a 10 yr period and it all changed in one night. I was out of town in a hotel by myself and I was awoken out of a dead sleep seemingly unable to breathe, shaking, freaking out thinking I was having a heart attack. I ran out to the front desk and asked them to call an ambulance. EKG, Stress, blood work- all came back ok- that was 3 yrs ago.

Now every time I have to stay in a hotel alone about 2 hours after falling asleep I wake up in a panic, shaking severely all over and sometimes having to get up and get a shower to calm down. Now if I am with my spouse it doesn't happen.

So I can tell myself there is nothing wrong with me because it only happens when I am alone and out of town in a hotel. However when I am in the moment logic does not go very far in avoiding it.

I've had another hospital trip in the last few months again. I have Gerd and other related issues as well.  My most recent stress test did show extra beats but the Dr said "nothing to write home about"

So apparently I have a healthy heart but now I'm thinking they are missing something and I could have cancer etc.

Ugh, I started seeing a CBT but its going slow so far

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Newbie looking for advice/ insight. Nocturnal panic, health anxiety etc
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 06:36:01 AM »
Little bit obvious that you had a bad panic attack that first time you stayed in a hotel room all alone. Since that time you have kept the memory of that night with you. You might not think you are doing this. But we can do it on a subconscious level. So now if you stay alone in a hotel room it is like your subconscious mind expects this panic all over again. Once that happens it will never let you down. Just learn to bring such attacks under control. Breathing exercises. Lots on you tube. Watch them. Learn from them. Use them. It will continue until you learn how to break the chain. To do that you simple have to face up to one of the attacks and bring it under control. Show yourself that you can do it. Do it once, you can do it a million times. We just have to believe in ourselves and use what we learn.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline HRB39

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Newbie looking for advice/ insight. Nocturnal panic, health anxiety etc
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 04:09:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I 100% realize its all fallout from the original episode and I can't shake it. I'm very logical about it when I am not in the moment, but as I said easier said then done when its happening.

I do the breathing, listen to anxiety scripts etc. Sometimes I can cut it off before it escalates, sometimes I can't. My body tenses so much during these attacks that I can be sore after like I had worked out.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: nocturnal panic