Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: weather adding to anxiety  (Read 224 times)

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
weather adding to anxiety
« on: February 04, 2014, 04:43:09 PM »
I'm having a downturn of late, probably because the Lexapro really no longer works, and I must be building a tolerance to the 1 mg of klonopin I take per day (divided doses, half before bedtime).  My anxiety/depression is worst in the morning, gets better by evening.  There are plenty of triggers to worsen it, mainly feeling physical symptoms of it and just not feeling like I have gotten full remission from it like I did from the other two times it happened in my life (with effective medication). I was managing alright through the record cold we have had here in the northeast but now its snowstorm issues.  Snowstorms during the work week really bother me because I am happier being at work than if I am alone in the house (my job closes down if there is a snowflake, not so for my spouse and daughter--though sometimes they are trapped and cant get out either), and we have inlaws coming from overseas tomorrow morning and I can't imagine how we are going to get to the airport with tonights predicted storm.  We have someone who can drive them up, whenever it is safe to do so, and I suppose they will delay the landing if its bad enough so we or my wife can get down there.  And there is much talk about a really big snowstorm coming on Sunday into Monday, not happy about that either.  I also fret about if we lose power, as we have no generator and our fireplace needs inspection (we are in this house for just over a year), although during Sandy we only lost power for a day in contrast to many nearby neighborhoods that were out for over a week.  Its colder now, though and the thought of an extended power outage in freezing temps terrifies me.  I'm trying to rationalize my thoughts, worst scenarios generally do not happen, etc, but it gets to me sometimes.  I imagine I can't be the only one.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: weather adding to anxiety
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 04:54:50 AM »
I am sure you can find something else to put your mind on. So you get a power cut. Just be ready in case it does happen. Torches. Radio ( battery powered ). Blankets to keep warm. You could even get a camping cooking stove. You ever see those small things they cook on when camping. I won't say to make a little adventure out of it. But in a sense that is what it would be like. There are also touch lights you can buy. They give off more light than a torch. So you can still do a bit of reading. If it is that cold hot water bottles may be handy to have. Just make your own little list out. I am sure the things wouldn't cost that much money. So you would be well ready. Sounds like I am describing a nuclear shelter.  :laugh3: Just plan ahead. It might not even happen. But if it does you will all ready for it and can kick into action. Setting things up might be a good distraction for you.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: weather adding to anxiety
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 02:54:21 PM »
Good news, we made it through the storm and were able to get to the train to get to the airport to retrieve our relatives and get a taxi back home.  I do need to be better prepared, which means getting a generator at some point.  My understanding is that we usually don't have long outages here but most of my neighbors do have portable generators.  There's also the option of tapping into our gas line, and those generators don't require running out to find gasoline, but they are pretty expensive and not something that can be done without permits or in a hurry.  We also have a fireplace that needs inspection, I guess that could be a possible heat source if it was clean and we got wood for it, I am not experienced with these things though.  Guess I can occupy myself figuring out solutions, but it would be nice if we could get a break from the storms.   I saw cars stuck in snowbanks along the highways on our ride back from the airport, so some folks were more unlucky than us (but they were digging themselves out in most cases). 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: