Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: could these be mini strokes?  (Read 367 times)

Offline hypochondrius

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
could these be mini strokes?
« on: February 04, 2014, 04:29:58 PM »
I'm 22 and have been having migraines for almost a year. Lately if I have a cigarette first thing in the morning, I will get a crushing sensation below my ribcage to the right, and my eight arm/leg will go all numb for a few minutes but I can still move. I'm really scares they might be ministrokes. Has anyone ever had this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Happenstance

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: could these be mini strokes?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 05:31:47 PM »
You would have more symptoms, but you need to pack that smoking in  :angry-smiley-034: as smoking CAN and DOES lead to health problems such as heart disease, strokes, cancer, a myriad of lung diseases such as COPD, so pack in that cigarette!

See your doctor about your symptoms and for help on stopping smoking :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline hypochondrius

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 06:31:42 PM »
I already plan on quitting after the summer and I know I can, I just want one more summer of smoking along with drinking and whatnot. I know smoking is bad I just didn't think it would affect me at my age and considering I don't smoke a pack a day by any means
Bookmark and Share

Offline hypochondrius

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 04:46:12 PM »
does anyone else have any input on this? This is actually quite frightening. My next doctors appointment isn't until the 11th, and im struggling to think of what this might be. I often get very clumsy, dizzy after this too for a few minutes. I've talked to other smokers and they have no idea what I'm talking about.

Would a ministroke be very noticeable? like would my right side be paralyzed/so numb I cant move it? If these are ministrokes this could be life or death.

I'll reiterate: I'll be standing, smoking a cigarette (and if its first thing in the morning I'm smoking it faster than normal and I might have breathed it into my abdomen rather than my lungs), I'll get a crushing sensation below my ribs toward the center/right of my stomach, and it almost feels like its swelling there, and then my arm/leg will go numb for a few minutes and I'll be quite dizzy, and sometimes I will also get that tunnel vision or when you go kind of blind like white noise on cable tv only gray comes over my eyes.

And I get it: smoking is bad for you. However, being 22, and that I rarely smoke more than half a pack a day if that, I don't think it should be solely to blame on cigarette smoking, so quit the after school special stuff. I really am terrified I might have a stroke soon. I'm a migraine sufferer and I've read that that puts me at a higher risk for a stroke too
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 05:02:34 PM »
Your doctor can't think it's strokes or he wouldn't be making you wait a whole week.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hypochondrius

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 05:05:22 PM »
No I already had this appointment scheduled for a while. This has happened to me a few times now and I've brushed it off as the effects of having a cigarette too early in the morning, but now that I've been reading about mini strokes and peoples experiences (at my age even) I am very concerned. Im pretty sure that these have been ministrokes now. whenever they have happened I have had to lay down for a few minutes
Bookmark and Share

Offline hypochondrius

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 05:17:31 PM »
I really don't want to go to the clinic any sooner than the appointment if its for nothing. I've gotten to a point where when I have symptoms like this, I'm not looking for that "well theres a slight chance its xyz bad disease" but more of a "yeah that happens sometimes to people it probably isn't anything to worry about"

I've been reading online about nicotine rushes, and that people tend to have them in the morning, its possible that's what it might be but I'm still a little frightened.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hypochondrius

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 07:28:33 PM »
Bumping this because it could be serious, anyone have any ideas?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 08:22:56 PM »
It COULD be that when you take a longer drag on your cigarette your muscles in your back expand and pinch a nerve in your back.

That could cause the numbness and the pain.

I would definitely still raise it with your doctor, but back muscles and nerves could definitely cause something like you're describing.

Edit: btw. STOP GOOGLING :) this will not help in any way at all and will only frighten you. If you're concerned before speaking with your doc, post on here. Do not google. ;)
Bookmark and Share

Online Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 08:27:39 PM »
And for someone who suffers from HA you should really stop smoking. Smoking is actually proven to be bad for heart and lungs...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Happenstance

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 05:25:02 PM »
If you can move onto an ecig, so you can begin being smoke free now!  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: