Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Got the ol' mammogram call back  (Read 466 times)

Offline anxietyismymiddlename

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Got the ol' mammogram call back
« on: February 04, 2014, 03:44:47 PM »
I haven't posted here in a while. Which is good! That means I've been managing my hypochondria well and living my life. And then there's this:

Last year I went for a baseline mammogram at the age of 42 ( I was "late" due to extended breastfeeding). It was ridiculously anticlimactic and a few days later I got the all clear letter and went on with my business. Last week, I went back for my annual, and was extremely nervous. Because I had the mammogram done on Thursday, I kind of figured that I was in the clear when no one called on that Friday. Yay me! Monday, rolls around and I see a number pop up on my cell phone and I just knew it was them. Yep, I have "asymmetry" (and because I'm not googling that could be misspelled) and they want further investigation. They tried to schedule me for next week, and I was all hell no! I'll be a basket case by then. The kind lady on the phone then offered to "squeeze me in" (please laugh, because I managed to) for tomorrow.

Yes, I'm nervous as hell, but what is helping me process my fear is:

not googling

I called the breast center back and asked for clarification on what to expect on tomorrow's appointment. When will I get results (immediately)? Will I get an ultrasound (maybe)?

Keeping busy

Coming here.

Also, I have a cousin in her late 30's recently diagnosed with BC and of course all of us here in health anxiety feel guilt when we manage to make other people's diagnoses about us. Just had to add that.

Thanks for a safe place to share.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Happenstance

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Got the ol' mammogram call back
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 04:12:58 PM »
All this means is one breast looks a bit different to the other and they just want to be double sure. Chances are you're just fine, they may do an ultrasound but usually they can tell if there is anything wrong just with a quick feel.

You COULD have a cyst, or something called a 'breast mouse', both are benign and treatable. In the worst case, having a mammogram usually means catching any cancers 'in situ' which means they have not spread and are much easier to treat. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 04:22:22 PM »
I haven't posted here in a while. Which is good! That means I've been managing my hypochondria well and living my life. And then there's this:

Last year I went for a baseline mammogram at the age of 42 ( I was "late" due to extended breastfeeding). It was ridiculously anticlimactic and a few days later I got the all clear letter and went on with my business. Last week, I went back for my annual, and was extremely nervous. Because I had the mammogram done on Thursday, I kind of figured that I was in the clear when no one called on that Friday. Yay me! Monday, rolls around and I see a number pop up on my cell phone and I just knew it was them. Yep, I have "asymmetry" (and because I'm not googling that could be misspelled) and they want further investigation. They tried to schedule me for next week, and I was all hell no! I'll be a basket case by then. The kind lady on the phone then offered to "squeeze me in" (please laugh, because I managed to) for tomorrow.

Yes, I'm nervous as hell, but what is helping me process my fear is:

not googling

I called the breast center back and asked for clarification on what to expect on tomorrow's appointment. When will I get results (immediately)? Will I get an ultrasound (maybe)?

Keeping busy

Coming here.

Also, I have a cousin in her late 30's recently diagnosed with BC and of course all of us here in health anxiety feel guilt when we manage to make other people's diagnoses about us. Just had to add that.

Thanks for a safe place to share.

My mom is 44 and they also called back to do further investigation, that was 2weeks ago, her follow up is also tomorrow. Wishing you both the best, I'm already anxious and this is a scary thing as well. I'm hoping all is well :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline midge123

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 07:02:04 PM »
I had that as well. But I didn't even leave and they told me to wait. I was literally breathing with head between knees. In my case it was a small area of calcification more than likely caused by breast implant surgery   They also did an ultrasound that day and the results on a call back are always immediate the radiologist that read the film came in and did the ultrasound himself cause I was so upset and he knew what he was looking for    It'll all be good just breathe deep and try not to worry. Easier said than done. Believe me I know   Hugs !
Bookmark and Share

Tags: