Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Doctor say's it's depression but my psychiatrist say's it's GAD  (Read 284 times)

Offline libertarian

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Doctor say's it's depression but my psychiatrist say's it's GAD
« on: February 03, 2014, 10:40:52 PM »
I think my psychiatrist knows best. I find at the beginning of summer it started out as being depressed, but with all the CBT i've been doing on my own at home I have gotten myself to a point where it seems more like anxiety than depression. I wake up in the mornings usually feeling pretty normal, but as the day goes on it seems like I get anxious and worry if I feel the slightest feeling of sadness. I will worry and fear the depression feelings returning and this as you would expect causes exactly those feelings to return. It's like my mind can't allow myself to feel good and have a good day, it has to ruin it with thinking of the symptoms coming back. During the day it's a tough battle, but it seems easier once evening comes around. Basically I go to bed feeling normal and I wake up feeling normal. I was on medication for a couple months, but I found the medication causing me to feel worse and numb.

Kevin
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Doctor say's it's depression but my psychiatrist say's it's GAD
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 05:19:29 AM »
People, at times, have a mixture of both. A person could be depressed because anxiety is making them feel bad. Thus if they learned how to manage their anxiety, the depression would just vanish. The main thing you might have is anxiety. So work with your psychiatrist on that assumption. All of us who suffer from anxiety can feel down at times. This can be taken as depression. Even though it is just feeling down because of the anxiety and it stopping us doing things. Your doctor might be just seeing that side of things. I had the same thing for a long time. Trying to convince people it was not depression I suffered from. It was just anxiety. But I would feel down at times. But it was the anxiety making me feel down. So the two can overlap each other in symptoms and depending on who you visit they might pick up on one or the other. Is up to you to let them know exactly how you are feeling.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline libertarian

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:40:53 AM »
Thanks for that response. It's been quite a few months and I have improved, and I've narrowed it down to negative feelings and thoughts that will trigger a perfectly good morning. There's this anticipation that starts building up inside me of my symptoms returning. I don't understand why morning I can feel the normal for a little bit and in the evening. Why does my day have to be so anxious. Although there are some days if I get a handle on the anticipation with my mediation and self talk I can sometimes direct my day to be better. I try learning how to accept the feelings and the thoughts, but even that is a difficult task at times because the feelings suck.

Kevin
Bookmark and Share

Online 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 04:53:11 PM »
I think many folks find there is a daily pattern to anxiety and/or depression.  I have a friend who has only depression, for him he wakes up fine but is feeling really bad by evening (but medication has worked along with therapy for him for many years). I have anxiety, have had panic attacks in the past, and definitely have depression this time around, usually after feeling anxious, and it follows a clear pattern of waking up to dread or feeling really bad physically (fatigue, stomach stuff, etc, the usual), usually getting better during the day especially if I am busy and around people, then getting almost normal before bedtime.  I wonder why no one has looked at these patterns (at least that I am aware of) because they probably could be helpful in better classifying the conditions and determining the best treatments.  For my pattern, my guess is that cortisol levels are at their highest when its time to wake up, and they add to anxiety, they are lowest when its time to go to sleep.  When I have had full remission in the past (usually on medication) a cup of tea sets my morning right as I am only tired, but no caffeine for me before I get there again.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: