Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New Treatment For Depression & Anxiety ?  (Read 294 times)

Offline anxious J

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 93
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: New Treatment For Depression & Anxiety ?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 09:53:31 PM »
What are People Thoughts on This ? http://www.psychiatrycentre.co.uk/our-services/repetitive-transcranial-magnetic-stimulation-rtms/

A number of small scale studies have shown it can resolve depression and, to a slightly lesser degree, anxiety disorders for up to 6 months. The main limitation may be the cost as it generally requires daily treatment for at least 4 weeks.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 11:58:27 PM »
I've been researching TMS as well as ETS (Electrical Stimulation Therapy).   A person has to be very careful about the doctor who practices this.  Some patients have reported less than remarkable results after a year, which may have been linked to improper medical care.  Also anxiety disorders tend to have more serious damage of infrastructure in the brain's hippocampus, so stimulation therapies may not produce the same results for anxiety disorders as a brain suffering depression.    Since this is our brain on the line, I would really research the right doctor to perform this, and thoroughly check their past results.

I've read a report of one lady trying the stimulation therapy, and her anxiety had decreased, but she's still on medication, just at a lower dosage.  This was still useful to her, since her constant feeling of su1cide had subsided. So don't assume this therapy will rid you of needing to take psychotropic pills.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 05:52:28 PM »
I did TMS last June, and I believve it helped a bit, but the intention was not to go off medication but to get the old med working again. It was explained to me that if used in conjunction with meds 50% find full remission, and another 35% or so find some benefit.  Don't think it has done full remission for me at this point, but it did help a bit.  Some of it could be placebo in the sense that you get to chat with someone while doing it and that can help, but I do think it does something besides.  My suspicion is that it would work best if one could get a "refresher" after a few months (I did three treatments after a particularly rough spot and it seemed to help but it is too expensive to do on a regular basis without insurance--and most don't cover it, at least not yet. If insurance covered it, it would first of all cost less than it does (around 350 a treatment) and I would definitely do it again, its a bit painful the first time or two but then it doesn't hurt anymore afterwards. There is also a form of TMS that goes deeper called deep TMS, it was developed in Israel I think and a new company, Brainsway, I think, is either getting FDA approval for it or trying to.  I have no experience with electrical stimulation like the Fisher Wallace device, if it worked the outlay would be comparatively cheap, but I sense its not enough to fix this condition on its own and I don't know anyone who has used it. I do think more research in this area may lead to some real progress, because at least they are targeting the affected organ, the brain, and not every other receptor in your body for serotonin, norepinephrine and whatever, causing all those wonderful side effects that so many meds have.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxious J

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 06:32:04 PM »
Is this available on the nhs or is this likely to be in the near future as i live in the UK ?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 93
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
Is this available on the nhs or is this likely to be in the near future as i live in the UK ?

Unlikely. But the NHS will pay for CBT.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: