Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: being tested for carcinoid - scared  (Read 218 times)

Offline tmgmom

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
being tested for carcinoid - scared
« on: February 03, 2014, 12:51:17 PM »

Well after a year of being afraid of a carcinoid, I finally gave in and asked my doctor to test me.  I have been seeing him for on/off stomach pain that I have had for years (very mild discomfort, but always in the same place).  Had blood work and a 24 hour urine test done and will get a colonoscopy/endoscopy next week.  Waiting for initial test results.  Super anxious and scared. I feel like my life is about to turn upside down!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Happenstance

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: being tested for carcinoid - scared
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 02:32:30 PM »
As far as I know this is a very slow growing cancer and is rare. Even in the worst case most tumors are cured with a simple operation.

It is VERY unlikely your symptoms are being caused by this form of cancer, most cases occur in people over the age of 60, and I will state again this is a RARE cancer and you are VERY unlikely to have it.

The stomach pain is much more likely to be being caused by:

A stomach ulcer with or without a bug called H Pylori, the bug makes the ulcer not heal and can be treated with antibiotics

IBS - IBS goes hand in hand with anxiety type symptoms and it can cause all kinds of abdominal pains

A parasite such as round or thread worm, you will notice these wiggling in your stool (poo) if you have them, they are easy to treat.

NSAIDS like ibuprofen can irritate the stomach, causing cramps and ulcers

A colon polyp - benign growth in the colon which can very slowly turn to cancer over YEARS and can be removed simply during colonoscopy.

There are all kinds of things which can cause stomach pain, your doctor will know more once you have had the scopes done. You are doing the right thing having them done. I know it's scary but hang in there and it will all be sorted very soon.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: