Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Palps and holiter monitor???  (Read 162 times)

Offline mkgirl01

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Palps and holiter monitor???
« on: February 03, 2014, 06:46:10 AM »
About 8 months ago I have a whole bunch of tests done on everything but for heart I had a X-ray ct of chest 6 ekgs blood work echocardiogram and a 24 hr holiter... all of my testing came back normal now when I lay down at night basically every night I have palps I feel my heart beating basically now is there something wrong??? Do I have an arrhythmia?? Did my holiter miss something???
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Palps and holiter monitor???
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 07:28:30 AM »
Heart palps are a symptoms of anxiety. However about 14 years ago I had similar symptoms. I did everything and it was normal. Doctors said it anxiety. Turns out it was GERD mixed with anxiety.

Try sleeping tonight propped up on pillows. If it helps, then you can follow up with your doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 07:57:32 AM »
If it concerns you and the symptoms are bothersome, I would call your doctor.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline hypo5150

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 11:34:36 AM »
I have been through the ringer with heart testing. I am overly concerned about a heart attack or heart disease. I am 33, healthy, exercise, eat fairly well (I am not perfect), skinny, and get my annual CBC which checks for cholesterol and triglycerides.  The only thing against me is a family history, though, I have no first degree relatives that had problems. I have been diagnosed with mild MVP(mitral valve prolapse) which is a benign condition; however, it can be attributed to my heart palpitations which I have episodes quiet frequently. I guess what I am saying is heart palpitations are normal, especially when all other conditions have been ruled out as in my case. My cardiologist is not concerned, but I still get yearly exams. They suck, they are alarming, they can scare the crap out of you when there is a long series of them in a row. I had a holter monitors up to 72 hours. It caught a series of palpitations and the doctor said they were still benign, not life threatening. My doctor told me if they seem to get in a long series that don't stop, splash cold water on your face and chest. It sort of shocks you back into rhythm. Obviously, this advice was only given after she determined I had no significant problems. She always tells me, though, if something changes come see her. You are not alone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 11:45:17 AM »
I've been getting them a lot lately shoveling snow - just that...  I could do ANTYHING else and I'd be fine.  So today there is a BAD storm with the HEAVY wet snow.  I went out BEFORE breakfast, no coffee, nothing and I didn't have ONE palp, I went out again 2 hours later, still haven't eaten or drank ANYTHING.  Perfect again.   I then ate, waited an hour, took a Rolaids and round three of shoveling heavy wet heart attack snow and I was peachy!   So it could definitely have a lot to do with GERD (I have that!) - I'm going out now...
Rolaids and shovel in hand :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline am123

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 11:49:48 AM »
Trust me, you are not alone. I had a heart monitor as well when I was experiencing palps.  They said they were benign PVCs (premature ventricular contractions).  My doc said they are incredibly common and that over 40% of people get them - but not as many notice.  You may be very in-tuned to your body, particularly if you commonly suffer from health anxiety.  I know I notice every little thing.  The doc recommended cutting caffeine back, making sure I get plenty of sleep, and controlling anxiety (easier said than done).  I know that once I found out they were benign they came less often.  The holter monitor can tell how often they occur and whether they should be something to be worried about - if you have had that many tests and came back clear, it is most likely a symptom of anxiety! Or just normal palps.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: