Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Embarrassing anxiety. Feeling need to urinate  (Read 171 times)

Offline mikeyc1981

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Embarrassing anxiety. Feeling need to urinate
« on: February 02, 2014, 02:34:41 PM »
Hi all

This particular anxiety has been getting worse over the past few months. I've always had quite a small bladder and will use the bathroom quite often. This has led to an anxiety of needing to go when I can't or worse still doing it in my trousers.

This is a problem mainly at work when I have to go to long meetings. I will make a point of urinating straight before I go in to the meeting but can sometimes find myself getting anxious that I need to go again within minutes. Often this will make me need to urinate and I will have to wait or if appropriate excuse myself. Most of the time I end up just waiting and being really really scared that I'm going to pee myself.

This has also manifested itself in other circumstances. Like in a theatre or at a concert. A couple of months ago I was at a concert in a theatre and was so distressed and pre-occupied with trying not to think about needing to pee that I couldn't enjoy the concert.

This has only been in the past year or so. A few years ago I used to go to concerts all the time and go for 5 or more hours without having to go. Now I can't imagine me ever being able to do that.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there any way I can help combat it? I've tried some breathing techniques to help me relax in meetings to limited effect. Any help or advice would be appreciated because it's spoiling so many different aspects of my life
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Embarrassing anxiety. Feeling need to urinate
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 05:33:18 AM »
You really should give this exercise a go. It does work. You can read up more on it by looking at sites. I will just give you the basics of it.

Kegel exercises for men can strengthen the pelvic floor muscles, which support the bladder and bowel and affect sexual function. With practice, Kegel exercises for men can be done discreetly just about anytime whether you're relaxing on the couch or driving your car.

Before you start doing Kegel exercises, find out how to locate the correct muscles and understand the proper technique.

Benefits of Kegel exercises for men

Many factors can weaken your pelvic floor muscles, including the surgical removal of the prostate (radical prostatectomy) and conditions such as diabetes and overactive bladder.

You might benefit from doing Kegel exercises if you:

Have urinary or fecal incontinence
Dribble after urination usually after you've left the bathroom
Some studies suggest that Kegel exercises for men might also benefit some men who have erectile dysfunction. However, further research is needed.

How to do Kegel exercises for men

It takes diligence to identify your pelvic floor muscles and understand how to contract and relax them. Here are some pointers:

Find the right muscles.
To identify your pelvic floor muscles, stop urination in midstream or tighten the muscles that keep you from passing gas. These are your pelvic floor muscles. If you contract your pelvic floor muscles while looking in the mirror, the base of your penis will move closer to your abdomen and your testicles will rise.
Perfect your technique. Once you've identified your pelvic floor muscles, empty your bladder and lie on your back with your knees bent and apart. Tighten your pelvic floor muscles, hold the contraction for three seconds, and then relax for three seconds. Try it a few times in a row but don't overdo it. When your muscles get stronger, try doing Kegel exercises while sitting, standing or walking.
Maintain your focus. For best results, focus on tightening only your pelvic floor muscles. Be careful not to flex the muscles in your abdomen, thighs or buttocks. Avoid holding your breath. Instead, breathe freely during the exercises.

Repeat 3 times a day. Aim for at least three sets of 10 repetitions a day.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: