Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Jinxing myself  (Read 243 times)

Offline annaki

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Jinxing myself
« on: February 02, 2014, 12:00:57 PM »
Does anyone else think that if they don't worry about something, that's when it will happen? I'm supposed to get X-rays for this hip and knee pain I've been having. I'm just convinced its cancer. I don't remember injuring it at all. I wish I did. I am so petrified.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: Jinxing myself
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 12:23:56 PM »
YES!!!!  I understand!! 

It's almost like "Well, if I let this thing go it's nothing, but if I see a doctor it will be something really BAD"  I know logically that makes no sense, but it's how I think.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 01:47:42 PM »
I know that this superstition is pretty common with OCD. I have it all of the time. I think that thinking something or saying something a certain way will jinx myself (even if I didn't intend it or it's done accidentally), and it causes a spike in my anxiety, and I start to panic about it. It's common with health anxiety too because it takes on many OCD-like forms.

It's something I struggled with for a while, but I've gotten better at combating it. You just have to remind yourself that it's not the way the world works, and it's your disorder convincing you that you almost have "powers." Think about it, if that were really true, and your thoughts could control the outcome, I think a lot of us wouldn't have health anxiety anymore for as often as we wish we didn't have it, right?  :yes:
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline Taurus4

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 02:24:22 PM »
Yes, I feel this way. Lately I have also had a problem with hearing news stories or just happening to come across things on the internet (without really looking for it). I'll see something on the news or hear a story about someone being sick and I'll somehow see it as a sign that something is wrong with me or I should be worrying about something. It sounds incredibly selfish and horrible but I have a hard time helping feeling this way. Does anyone else feel that way? I feel like there is so much negativity in the news and media that it's hard to not hear a medical horror story at least once a day.
Bookmark and Share

Offline corwin

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 03:43:05 PM »
catastrophic thoughts like these are extremely common with health anxiety sufferers. i've thought millions of times that i have to worry about something so that it won't happen to me, almost like if i slip up and actually start enjoying my life, that's when something will come out of nowhere and ruin it. it's also pretty common with depression sufferers as well, this negative pattern of thinking.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stressed18

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 10:47:09 AM »
Sometimes I will actually trick myself into thinking that if I worry about something that somehow that will actually effect the outcome.

I think we all have negative thinking patterns that we need to find ways to break away from.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tweenie

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 07:29:03 PM »
Then there are the people who say, "Don't worry about (insert disease of the month here) because you are going to tempt fate and thinking about it will make you get it." That doesn't help us with HA at all!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 08:26:21 PM »
I absolutely know what you are talking about. I'm terrified to even think symptoms are something mild because I think I will completely jinx myself and it will be something terrible. I'm afraid to love a fear free life because I'm afraid that will also jinx me. Everyone says "think positive" and I cant because I am terrified to.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: