Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Really need help pancreatic and ovarian cancer fears  (Read 1159 times)

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Really need help pancreatic and ovarian cancer fears
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 04:49:14 PM »
The reason why you are not responding to dexilant is simple... You don't have reflux so there is nothing to respond to. So that even further proves that your pain is likely musculoskeletal as in tense muscles, inflammation of cartilage or tendons, stuff basically with no pathological cause. Try heat on your chest, back, or back of neck for 20 minutes 3 times per day :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 04:53:05 PM »
Try that FODMAP diet, too. Gas happens from bacteria, normal flora, releasing gases such as hydrogen or methane. Bacteria eat sugar and simple carbs... So the goal is to limit simple carbs and choose complex sugars/carbs and you starve the flora that way so they can't releases gases but meanwhile provide adequate nutrition to the host (you).
Bookmark and Share

Offline PrinceTuesday

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 11:09:45 AM »
It's definitely reflux i had an endoscopy done.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Iva

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 06:28:11 PM »
Hi, I am going through the same thing (worry about pancreatic or other cancer) right now, but I have my first doc appointment in an hour.  I just posted my story on this forum so I won't repeat it here.  But, I did want to respond to some of your questions.  I would recommend the Anti-inflammatory Diet to ANYBODY.  It can be found on Dr. Andrew Weil's homepage.  (His health advice actually gets me through periods of diverticulitis pain that arise after I fail to be diligent in my diet and maintenance.  After antibiotics did NOTHING for my severe diverticulitis pain, which was the ONLY thing my doctor recommended, I tried his recommendations, and the episode cleared up completely.  One of them was the Anti-inflammatory diet, which is actually recommended for everyone and believed to be linked to cancer prevention and long health.) You may also poke around his website for GERD specifically.  My infant son had severe GERD, again not successfully helped by his pediatrician with medication and no other lifestyle advice, and only went away after visits to a non-manipulating chiropractor and lifestyle changes (frequent small feedings, no lying down for at least thirty minutes after eating/drinking, sleeping harnessed on a special steeply slanted bed for GERD, etc.).  It actually got significantly better after the first chiro visit, coupled with the lifestyle changes, I think he only reguritated once or twice after beginning the treatment/routine. With a newborn these lifestyle changes were not easy as I had to feed him 24/7 AND hold him completely upright for 30 minutes afterwards throughout the night.  Needless to say, I was at my wits end for a while there coping with the lifestyle changes until he eventually grew out of it. I should point out that this chiropractor does not do the pop and snap type of adjustments, it's more gentle manipulating, and she had treated others with GERD before.  Also, he only drank breast milk at the time, of course, but in my research I did discover that there are dietary changes recommended for adults with the problem (also found on Dr. Weil's website), which include eliminating dairy.  Anyway, for now, I'd do a search for GERD on his website and incorporate those changes, and see how that goes.  Why you developed GERD in the first place is a mystery, and I can see why you would be anxious.  Sometimes there aren't really any good answers, and jumping to the Big C conclusion can be a part of our anxiety problem.  We know our bodies, and can be very hypersensitive to the various states it goes through.  For you, you have taken some tests that came back negative which is great!!!  I hope to do that later today.  I did discover an interview with an expert on Pancreatic CA at UCSF today that stated she has found that her patients tend to report that before they got any undeniable symptoms (jaundice, vomiting blood, severe pain, etc.) they had at least several months of vague or dull abdominal pain that was thought to be indigestion or other benign stomach issue, and ignored the seriousness of it.  She said that some patients (not all) also had weight loss that they ignored.  Some PC patients never have weight loss until the end.  She went onto say that she gives a very specific blood marker test for that, and also does a CT scan.  She stated that UCSF's survival rate is twice the national average and believes it is partially due to the early detection.  So, of course, this kind of information just exacerbates anxiety for people like us when we get pain.  But, I say, if the right tests ARE done, and negative, we do need to calm down, otherwise we WILL make ourselves sick.  Keep us posted.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PrinceTuesday

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 11:54:02 PM »
Iva- thanks for your diet suggestions but this information about pancreatic cancer really did exacerbate my anxiety re my reflux and pain. I am now really in so much fear, can't think about anything else, and just waiting for the severe symptoms to begin. I really need help, went to therapy today didn't do anything. If i have been to the doctor a few times, and he isn't worried, do you think it is okay since I am not IGNORING the symptoms, I have been to a doctor multiple times?  Something would show up somewhere right? I do not think he did  a specific tumor marker test, but I will call and ask him tomorrow. Really didn't help to say that the severe symptoms didn't start until the end. I am at my wits end over this!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Iva

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 05:13:19 PM »
Prince Tuesday, My doctor said that unexplained weight loss (at least 10 pound over a month without fasting, skipping meals, changes in diet, exercising more, etc.) and liver/pancreas functioning blood work are the early signs.  He said that the CA 19-9 marker is only used after it has been diagnosed because the level is monitored during treatment, but it cannot screen for cancer.  I think that you already know that all of your worrisome symptoms can be accounted for by anxiety.  But, I totally understand that it is very hard to not know for sure.  I went to a Generalized Anxiety group at Kaiser of all places, and it actually helped me realize that many of my symptoms were likely due to my excessive worry. 

However, after exploring my abdomen for the first time, I actually pinpointed the exact spot of my pain, and began freaking out about an aortic anuerysm.  I went back to the doctor so he could feel it, and he was still at a loss.  He again pushed for a CT scan (which I only want as a last resort due to the large amount of radiation for an abdominal CT), and at my insistence, he relented to an ultrasound, saying it will likely not tell us anything.  I had it today, and the technician said the pain is in my "intestinal area," and although she is not allowed to tell me anything, I got the feeling that she couldn't see anything because it is in the colon/intestines.  (My doctor told me that ultrasound could not examine the colon.)  I am now freaking out about colon cancer, especially since I have thought that I had diverticulosis with episodes of diverticulitis in my lower left (sigmoid) colon since my early 20's, and my current doctor is saying he does not think I have that either because it is not painful enough when he touches it.  I tried to tell him that I have been treating it with multiple herbs and fiber that is suppose to clear it up, and prior to taking them for the past week, it was like a knife stabbing me there when I had a bowel movement, but he was not convinced that such remedies would clear it up.  (Typical Western medicine philosophy.)   However, now this new pain is up high in my abdomen, about an inch and a half to the left and inch and a half above my belly button.  And, it is not going away with the herbal remedies, so I do not think it is another area of diverticulitis.  My doctor said that I am too young for colon cancer, and have not had the unexplained weight loss.  But, of course, my head just goes to, well what does one look like in the early stage, when YOU DOCTOR, aren't aware that they have it yet.  That's my anxiety getting the best of me.  I'm sure there are plenty of other benign explanations, hernia, abcess, ulcer, benign cyst, etc. 

I get how hard it is to sit with the unknown.  Generalized Anxiety Disorder is a control disorder, when I don't have control, I freak out.  I am constantly monitoring for danger.  I worry about so may things to avoid being side-swiped.  However, the worry just causes more physical symptoms to worry about, and so the cycle goes on.  I think we need to just try our best to think rationally.  What evidence DO we have and not have?  No worrisome test results.  That's fantastic. 

At the urging of my Primary Care Physician, I just started Celexa, which I was skeptical to start because you cannot go above 60mgs (due to complications it can have with your heart at higher doses), and often a higher dose is needed to treat anxiety.  Lower doses of it work for depression though.  Not all doctors know this, (especially physicians) but an expert Psychiatrist told me that.  My physician had never heard that, no surprise.  The psychiatrist also told me that Prozac can be "activating" for some people, meaning make the anxiety worse before it gets better.  He recommended to begin with Zoloft or Paxil for high anxiety since they are less "activating" than Prozac AND you can go up into the higher doses if needed.  He did say that if the higher doses are not needed, then Celexa is very well tolerated (minimal side effects).  He also recommended starting at half a pill (5 mgs), then titrating up slowly to avoid "activation" and minimize side effects.  My physician gave me 10mgs and when I said I was going to take half at first, he scoffed.  Again, typical.  I don't think he likes to be second guessed or challenged by a non-physician.  (I'm a Psychologist believe it or not.   Yes, Psychologist get GAD too :-)

Anyway, I think you need to calm down because you have had testing and multiple visits, and your doctors ARE actually just as worried about missing something as you are because their career is on the line.  Also, your symptoms can be accounted for by your anxiety, and it sounds like your anxiety is so high it is crippling.  It is no surprise you're having physical symptoms.  What can you do to make yourself better?  Healthy high fiber, low fat, low sugar diet, supplements, 30 minutes of aerobics or yoga daily, lots of water, therapy, group therapy, relaxation exercises, pleasurable activities, organizing your life, making small goals to accomplish for the day, etc.  (I myself would also add Chiropractic care and/or Eastern medicine health care because they are more geared toward preventative care than Western medicine, though Western medicine is doing its best to catch up.)  Try your best to shift your attention to these things.  These are things you can control.  Do not worry that your health concerns will be ignored in this process.  Believe me, any new concerns will come to your attention.  You do not need to devote time to looking for health concerns.  This is automatic for us.  If we DO end up having or getting something, we are ALREADY treating it by doing the things listed above.  And, if we DO NOT have or get anything, then we are prolonging our life by doing these things.  It's a win win.  Let's try our best to change our "obsession" to prolonging our life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 08:47:33 AM »
Yes there is nothing wrong with you, nothing that will kill you. Nothing that will destroy you. Trust me. Oh, you can have 3 ct scans per year and that is fine if you are worried about toxic affects. We get more toxic exposure to natural stuff in the environment. You need to get that autonomic nervous system back in control. I think you would feel relief if you just accept the worry, as worrying is a normal human function. That's how nature allows us to cope with what we don't understand. There is no point trying to understand it, either, as science is just not fully there yet, and may never be there. Through my research, everything comes down to the brain gut connection, and keeping the body and it's microbes homeostatic. Hormones and everything we experience are dictated by the flora in our bowels, no lie. That's why it is so important to have a proper all natural diet and get daily exercise and proper sleep. All boxed items and even fresh prepared foods have a lot of acids in them to keep them fresh, which makes the body more acidic, throws everything off, and gives you reflux. If an item has vit c it has as orbit acid, avoid it. Avoid aspartame. Avoid preservatives. Avoid BHT. You would feel a million times better if you just stop and meditate, and prepare your own foods and breads, go au natural. Your aches and pains are quite common, really, do to the foods of today and the lifestyle we have to live today of desk jobs and computer work. That's why younger and younger people are experiencing GERD, IBS, and migraines
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 08:49:09 AM »
Typo... Ascorbic acid,, darn iPhone lol
Bookmark and Share

Tags: