Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Very afraid of tetanus! need reassurance :(  (Read 130 times)

Offline scarrface16

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Very afraid of tetanus! need reassurance :(
« on: February 01, 2014, 09:15:26 PM »
hi guys so recently (about 9-10 days ago) i was scratched by a rusty cheese grater. if didnt bleed and i read that if it doesnt bleed theres more chance of being infected with tetanus. so me being the crazy person i am got a needle and opened it like you would a splinter(so it would bleed)and i washed it out and put hydrogen peroxide. so im not too worry about that anymore since its been 10 days. however i live in canada and its very cold :P but my knuckles get all dry and bloody because of the cold. this doesnt bother me however, to moisturize my knuckles, i used this nivea cream with bamboo shoot extract in it... MISTAKE :( 20 minutes later i remembered that bamboo grows in the soil and the soil is where the tetanus spores survive. i washed it off immediately and used hydrogen peroxide on the little parts that were prone to bleeding but now im sooooo scared im going to get tetanus because of this stupid cream :'( im 18 years old and my mom doesnt think i was vaccinated against tetanus as my famiy doesnt believe in vaccines. my mom thinks im perfectly fine and im overreacting i kind of want to get a tetanus shot so i dont have to worry about this anymore, but im terrified of the side effects (not the needle itself) because i read that this guy got tetanus 7 days after being vaccinated. id prefer not to get unless i absolutely HAVE to im really scared about this tetanus thing. ive had alot of health anxiety(heart problems, brain tumor, MS, alot of cancers aortic aneurysms, stroke) but this is probably the worst ive felt. i literally feel sick to my stomach, i cant eat, sleep (ill stay up until like 5-6 am just worrying) and i just feel so helpless about this :( please if anyone has anything that can help/reassure me it would be greatly appreaciated. im going to talk to someone this coming monday(for my anxiety) i hope this helps. i feel so scared and i just want this to end so i can live a normal life :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 14
  • Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
Re: Very afraid of tetanus! need reassurance :(
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 06:48:21 AM »
I never heard of anyone getting tetnus like that!  I used to have real bad eczema and dry skin and there were ALWAYS cracks and open sores on my hands for years and years.  I had put my hand in fishtanks, I had accidentally gotten scummy dirty water on them from pool covers - and only once did something happen (from the fishtank).  An infection.  Not tetnus.  Just an infection that was taken care of with antibiotics.
Tetnus is caused by a puncture wound most times.  And BEFORE tetnus you'd notice an infection starting.  If you are that scared then keep a look at the wound and if it starts getting red go to the doctor - but it WON'T be tetnus!  And I get tetnus shots, many people do and nothing happens.  That guy was some random guy that something odd happened to, and maybe it didn't even happen.  You don't know who wrote that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline inksie

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Excuuuuse me, Princess!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 06:56:31 AM »
I think you're a-okay! I had a fear of tetanus too when I cut myself on something and would constantly try to disinfect my cut and put a plaster around it. Like what Sunlover said, it is mostly caused by a puncture wound. You would know by now if something was happening in your body. Have you not had your boosters done? What relieved me the most is that I found out I had my booster jab in late '06 so I'm okay for another 3 years until I get another one done.

Also, rust isn't ALWAYS the main cause for tetanus. It's just the bacteria from outside likes to cling onto rust as its habitat. As long as your cheese grater wasn't washed around in dirt from outside, I think you're okay. :D Don't worry!
Bookmark and Share
Video games help me forget about my troubled HA.

"The flow of time is always cruel... Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that doesn't change with time is a memory of younger days..." - Sheik.

Offline scarrface16

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 02:27:35 PM »
thanks guys for the replies! i currently am taking xanax 0.25 mg as needed. i am also prescribed zoloft 25 mg that im currently not taking as i want to be symptom free before i start. ive taken zoloft up to 100mg before and it made me feel alot better so im looking forward to getting back on it because obviously i wasnt ready to come off lol i am seeing a professional this coming monday so hopefully that will help. my biggest concern right now is that the nivea cream with the bamboo extract that i used on my very dry/cracked/bleeding ever so slighty knuckles somehow has the tetanus bacteria in it since bamboo grows in the soil. especially the shoots(bottom part) this is causing me so much stress its unbelievable. i realize that it must be purified to a certain extent since nivea is a huge brand name but some part in me believes that the tetanus spores survived since they can withstand extreme conditions. i just wish i hadnt used that cream and just used a plain one that i had  now im going to need to wait another 1-2 weeks atleast to feel "safe" if you will since tetanus takes 3-10 days usually to show. i cant wait for this to be over and done with ! what do you guys think? do you think its possible that the Nivea bamboo extract cream could have the tetanus spores in it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 14
  • Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 05:43:14 PM »
The makers of cream know that it will be used on skin, 50% of skin has some kind of scratches, sores, etc on it - so they have to be REALLY careful or there'd be a truckload of lawsuits.   You are not going to get tetnus from the cream.  It's not even something that you can say is rare - I mean it's NEVER happened.
Bookmark and Share