Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Good ol' flesh-eating bacteria  (Read 167 times)

Offline tobito

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Good ol' flesh-eating bacteria
« on: February 01, 2014, 03:13:08 AM »
Hello!

So I made this account a while ago, and I was doing quite a bit better for a long time, until, for absolutely no reason I can presently fathom, I decided to Google flesh-eating bacteria. I literally could not tell you why I did this. I think it was out of some morbid curiosity rather than because I was actually convinced I had it, though now I, in true HA form, am convinced I have it.

What's bugging me is pretty straightforward: I've got this raised mole under my arm that I frequently cut while shaving. I keep meaning to get the stupid thing removed, but I keep putting it off and putting it off. Normally, I don't think anything of it. I figure it gets clean while I'm in the shower, then I slap a bandaid on it and call it good. I don't think I've ever even put antibiotic ointment or anything like that on it! I did this again just yesterday or the day before, I believe, and, as always, didn't think anything of it. Last night, while I was trying to sleep, I just couldn't get flesh-eating bacteria off the brain. Tonight, when I twisted to turn off my light, the cut hurt. I checked it, and (sorry, gross!) the scab had popped off. No big deal, really. I don't think it qualifies as an open wound, because it isn't bleeding and it's mostly just a red bump. It doesn't even hurt.

I'm pretty tempted to run to urgent care tomorrow morning to have them look at it (and also to see about getting it removed), but I'd like a little help to tide me through the night. Flesh-eating bacteria is pretty rare, isn't it? Like 0.1% of the population rare? And does anyone know whether or not it presents immediately? I read somewhere on these forums about someone who was in pain from the moment the cut was made to the moment they received treatment. Does anyone know whether or not that's typical? I'm mostly worried that if I go to sleep tonight, I'm going to wake up tomorrow in horrible pain and end up losing my arm.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Good ol' flesh-eating bacteria
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 07:18:41 AM »
From what I've heard of that, flesh eating bacteria is VERY quick.  Like in one HOUR you'd notice it getting worse, then the next hour and so on!
So I kinda doubt it's that!  Besides, that's usually caused from dirty water, etc - your (you in general) underarms are pretty clean being that they are being washed on a daily basis and only soap is going in it (well, deodorant too, but that's not bacteria ridden!)
Well, I'm sorry I couldn't tell you this earlier - I hope you made out OK with your anxiety over it.  Let me know.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tobito

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 07:54:51 AM »
Thanks for your reply! I found a couple of good distractions tonight, so thankfully it wasn't too bad.

I'm glad to know that it sets in that quickly! Maybe it's strange to be reassured by something like that but, hey, a lot of my anxiety revolves around stuff that could take months to present, so. It's all relative, I guess?
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 08:32:16 AM »
Welcome to anxietyzone. I have a mole above my lip, that I cut and it bleeds sometimes when I
shave. I just clean the wound with soap and blot it until it stops bleeding. I have not got any
flesh eating bacteria yet and this has happened to me off and on for many years.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: