Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Has anyone experience GAD that only occurs in winter?  (Read 371 times)

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Has anyone experience GAD that only occurs in winter?
« on: February 01, 2014, 01:51:28 AM »
I know what SAD is depression that occurs in the dark winter days.  But I recently learned there is something
called Seasonal ANXIETY Disorder for anxiety that is triggered by the winter days.  I think this is what I've been
feeling for the past two weeks, and I wondered if anyone else noticed such a cycle.

In other words, has anymore noticed anxiety that only troubles them during winter -- and not in the rest of the year?
Luckily I have a great lightbox.  I just started an aggressive regime to sit in front of it for 30 minutes when I wake up
before going to work.  And to also include some buddhist chanting (Nam Myoho Renge Kyo) and some physical exercise
(jumping jacks, pushups, crunches).  Though I've just started, it does seem to help.

So does anyone else have GAD that only occurs in winter, and not in the other seasons?   :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Has anyone experience GAD that only occurs in winter?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 12:38:47 AM »
I guess there aren't any replies here because there is a similar thread:  "Anxiety spikes in the winter." :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 05:51:49 PM »
Hi WB...

This being the Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) section, most individuals here have a chronic anxiety condition.

The other post that you referred to, "Anxiety spiked in winter?", had to deal with year round anxiety that could increase in the winter months.  Your post was very specific to anxiety that only occurs during the wintertime, and not during any other time of the year.

I certainly read your post, when you first placed it on the site, but I didn't respond because my anxiety knows no season.  Your's is a good post, but perhaps just to specific for this area of Anxiety Zone.

The very best to you, WB!...  Chuck

Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 11:17:05 PM »
Hi MC, I see your point.  Thanks for commenting.

I guess my situation is kind of unique.  I've noticed the GAD in the last month or two, so I don't know if it's chronic.
Of course I hope it isn't!   :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline kniquy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 01:27:19 PM »
I am new here but was wondering the same exact thing.  I am generally a person who is relaxed and content in the warm weather months but lately have been having bouts of anxiety - one having happened yesterday when i was cooped up at home with the kids 2 - 8year olds and an 8 month old. I just suddenly felt overwhelmed and unsettled- I don't know how else to describe it. My pulse was up over 100 and i just could not relax.  thankfully my brother was able to come over and spend some time with me.  But i feel as though these shorter, cold days and being secluded at home are part of the cause of these feelings
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 04:02:22 PM »
I think the winter time presents a lot of unique factors that affect anxiety, even for people that wouldn't normally feel the effects. I myself prefer warm sunny days, and even where I live (Texas) - winter days are often bleak, overcast, and cold. Hardly the ideal conditions for any sort of a mood. Also, winter is also the season of holidays - Halloween, thanksgiving, and Christmas. Both my personal life and work life are affected by these holidays. At home, I suddenly have to make plans and do a lot of prep work for meals, get togethers, etc. At work, our business picks up a LOT and the pressure is on to meet goals.

Not sure if that's the same type of anxiety you face, but that's generally what raises my anxiety during the winter. Also didn't help that last winter I had a very demanding girlfriend who didn't believe  that I needed rest.  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 06:21:46 PM »
Clipper, thanks for your comments. You are like me in that you haven't had the anxiety all your life.  You had it for about a year, right?
I've had my anxiety bouts for about a month and a half.  Do you have a sense if an event triggers your anx or is it truly seasonal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 08:20:11 PM »
Yep... March 18 will be one year that I've been dealing with the symptoms. Of course I'm sure I've had some degree of anxiety my entire life, but why it chose to manifest itself in symptoms is anyone's guess.

I've been searching for a trigger but honestly, there's no set pattern. Today I was having lunch with a friend when dizziness hit me hard out of nowhere, for a second I had to grip the chair. but thankfully it was gone within seconds. This evening I had to make some repairs to my truck in the bitter cold, and had a few moments of frustration - but not a hint of anxiety. One thing that does seem to trigger it nearly every time is traffic - which has never bothered me in the past, but now it does.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »
In winter we exercise less, wake up in darkness, and we aren't out in the sun.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 12:55:43 AM »
@Clipper, anxiety is a funny thing.  Especially generalized anx.  But it's good that you are aware when fixing your truck, you feel no stress.  That's how
you want to feel most of the time.  That good feeling is who you are. 

@Lara, it's true winter exercise less and its darker.  That's why I use a lightbox and do physical exercise in the morning.  To offset the season.
It's funny some winters I don't turn on my lightbox once.  But this winter, I use it every day.  Might be related to the deep freezes and cabin fever
days.

:yes: :winking0008: :yes: :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 12:59:40 AM »

@kniquy, it sounds like you are I are experiencing exactly the same thing.  All through the year I was fine.  No GAD anxiety.
But mostly through the month of January, I've had these bouts of general anxiety that concern me.

I just found that there is such a thing as "seasonal ANXIETY disorder."  You can google it.  Sometimes it's used
like seasonal affective disorder, but I have found articles that talk specifically about how winter can trigger seasonal anxiety.

I hope that's what both of us have because that would mean it will be over come spring!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: