Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Who else has a fear of going crazy/developing a serious mental illness?  (Read 452 times)

Offline emmmmaaaa

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
(Sorry, I just posted two posts in a row)

But I just wanted to see how many people on here also a have the fear of going crazy or developing a serious mental illness, as I've recently acquired a fear of developing depression, schizophrenia, any kind of suicidal behaviors or thoughts, borderline personality disorder, bipolar disorder, multiple personality disorder- you name it, I'm just scared that I'll snap for some reason and end up doing something really against my morals and losing control, such as hurting myself or others. Does anyone else have this? I'm terrified, and a fear of being alone and being around a lot of people has also developed out of the fear of going crazy, as I'm afraid that I may lose it in public or at home alone.  :fragend005:
Bookmark and Share
OCD // Emetephobia // Hypochondria //

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Who else has a fear of going crazy/developing a serious mental illness?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 05:45:10 AM »
I think a lot of people at some point during the course of their condition fear such things. Mainly at the start when they don't really know what is going on. Why it is happening to them and the likes. The more they learn and the more they accept their condition the more their mind changes focus and they know they are not going mad. That they never will. So learn about anxiety. Learn that people can live with it and still do things and even be happy. It is not a sentence to insanity. The more we understand this the better we can begin to feel.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline RK

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Who else has a fear of going crazy/developing a serious mental illness?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 01:25:58 PM »
I have this fear....
Bookmark and Share

Offline bluecanary

• ...in the outlet by the light switch
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
    • Poke This Member
This one is actually my biggest fear. Because I have anxiety and OCD, I figure I'm more "susceptible" to mental disorders. The thing that I try to remind myself of is that a.) if I look at it honestly, I don't have the symptoms that correspond with those disorders, b.) these conditions are fairly uncommon, and I've already "beaten the odds" once by having the bad luck to be born with OCD and anxiety, and c.) worst case scenario: if I do end up with any of the disorders I fear, I've got some great resources at my disposal, and plenty of people have bipolar, borderline personality disorder, multiple personality disorder, even schizophrenia, in some cases, and they lead perfectly healthy, "normal" lives. It's definitely not easy, it takes work, and there are probably times they want to just say the heck with it and give up, but they cope. And as people who are constantly battling with our own thoughts and emotion, we've trained ourselves to handle whatever our brains want to throw at us. This coping we've already been doing has made us stronger.

I think one of the best things we can do for things we fear is not to look at the situation and say, "that'll never happen," but rather to say, "if it happens, I can handle it."

(Don't get me wrong, next week I'll probably be in here freaking out because I'm utterly convinced I've got X disorder. Then maybe you'll need to talk me down.  :winking0008:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
my husband doesn't have anxiety disorders or panic attacks like myself -- but this is something that he fears a lot. getting a mental illness, etc. i have always wondered about this as well. but oddly enough, i do not fear it. i hope it never happens to me, but he legit fears it....and a lot. i hope you start to ease your mind a bit, hun!
Bookmark and Share

Offline 247alldayanxious

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have this fear and it's constant. I don't want to let my family down since I am an only child so there pressure is heavier than the usual. I fully understand you.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: