Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: every time I eat fish  (Read 112 times)

Offline van151

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
every time I eat fish
« on: January 31, 2014, 08:42:29 AM »
Hi,
Its been great for the past month, I've found new hobby that could make my mind busy thinking of it. Also its makes me feel calm every time I'm doing it. Fishing, it could help me keeping my anxiety on manageable level. I never thought that such activity demand a high level of concentration and by doing so it keeps me focus on the sign when the fish eat the bait, so it really help me to clear my thought.

But there is one problem. I have a friend and her husband died because of tongue cancer and I became afraid of tongue cancer. Before her husband died, my friend told me that her husband got tongue cancer because of a fish spine stuck on his tongue when he eat a fish. That was the first time I ever heard about tongue cancer.

Now every time I eat fish, I got scared especially freshwater fish because it has a lot of fish spines. I still manage to eat fish but I'm on high level of stress every time I put it on my mouth and chewing it, afraid that the spines will stuck on my tongue and it will become cancer. I already ask my dentist about it and she said that it's not possible, but when I told the story to my doctor he said it is possible but very rare. But still I can't drive away the thought about tongue cancer caused by fish spine. It's been like this for more than a year, it never bother me before but when I found out that fishing can help my anxiety, this fish spine become a problem every time I eat my catch. The easy way is running away, just don't  eat it but it's such a waste of money when you catch a lot of fish but you can not eat it. Beside fish is really healthy food for my age (I'm 38), and running away is not going to solve the problem.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: every time I eat fish
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 12:42:31 PM »
Hi Van...

To begin with, most tongue cancers are caused by tobacco and/or alcohol use.  I have never even heard of getting tongue cancer from a fish bone, so I can only imagine that would be ultra rare.

The problem is not really getting cancer from a fish spine/bone, the problem is your mind and it's fears/phobias.  I don't know how bad your anxiety is, or whether or not you take any medication, but certainly I would recommend that you consider seeing a therapist to assist you in working though your fears/phobias.

You have the right approach, not wanting to avoid eating fish, as that is just running away from your fears, and I applaud you for that. :happy0030: Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) teaches one to face their fears.  I just started CBT this week.  You might consider this.

The very best to you, Van!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline van151

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: every time I eat fish
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 05:52:38 PM »
Thx MC
i was a smoker 2 years ago, so i think this is a good news right? I'm not smoking anymore so I'll be fine....
Well I have anxiety disorder for years, I've been to therapists and my doctor give me some medication. Never thought that this is going to be a phobia, yeah I need to go to my therapist and talk about it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: