Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: STOP Googling  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Kindra11

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
Re: STOP Googling
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 03:58:19 PM »
I am guilty of googling.. and we ALL know how us people are with HA, if it brings up something mild and that you can treat yourself, you then reword your search, almost like you want it to bring up the "big ones"!! I have caught myself doing this many times and have decided that I am my own worst enemy and google is my enabler lol. I try very hard not to google about symptoms anymore, I either come here or see my dr if its really  bothering me... but sometimes I miss Google... its worse than smoking I think!  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share
Broken, But Not Destroyed

Offline cravenmobile

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 04:03:27 PM »
I'm on week number 2 of not googling anything health related, I feel much better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 04:59:08 PM »
I'm on week number 2 of not googling anything health related, I feel much better.

Good job!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 27
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 05:16:29 PM »
I am dying to google, but I am resisting!   I'll see if I can make it until I go to bed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline treadstone

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 06:22:58 PM »
Googling is awful. Sally1959 summed it up just about perfectly.

Whenever I google, it's almost as though I'm praying to some deity at a digital altar. "PLEASE tell me this pain on my left side is harmless!"

But the nature of the internet is that the most bombastic, fantastical, and dramatic results bubble to the top. Thus, even though there may be a hundred different causes of left side pain, the scariest ones will fill that first page of results. Case in point: I cannot think of a single human being who has never experienced a headache. But if you google "head pain", the #1 result is a scaremongering *****! article about "head pains you should never ignore". That's the sort of stuff that rises to the top.

Don't google. Ask AnxietyZone if it's tolerable. If the pain or discomfort is intolerable, ask a doctor or go to the E.R., even if it results in a big debt. Anything else - googling, asking on health websites (which are full of people with HA who don't know it yet and thus haven't made their way to AnxietyZone) - is just going to make you worry more.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cravenmobile

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 10:00:53 AM »
I am dying to google, but I am resisting!   I'll see if I can make it until I go to bed.

I believe in you! You can do it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Calm
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 03:04:09 PM »

I believe in you! You can do it!

Cravenmobile, I made it almost 24 hours! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline everette

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 11:16:23 PM »
I have to agree.
Google has scared the hell out of me.

But on the other hand if I had not googled my symptoms I might of not found this site.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 06:04:10 PM »
I've not being googling for a week now, and although I had numerous new symptoms, my anxiety level was much lower than usually. So, I want to encourage all once more to stop googling.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Calm
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 06:25:11 PM »
I've not being googling for a week now, and although I had numerous new symptoms, my anxiety level was much lower than usually. So, I want to encourage all once more to stop googling.

Hypo, YOU have been my biggest help!  I have had my mom, my husband, my daughter getting so frustrated with me and my googling, so many times, so often they'd tell me and I didn't listen...  but you have BEEN there, you KNOW what health anxiety is and by YOU saying it it gave it a LOT more credence.   I haven't googled for 2 whole days, and as a matter of fact I was just thinking, "Ah, my Xanax kicked in..."  Then I realized, HEY!  I didn't TAKE any Xanax!   I hope this is going to be good things to come and I don't fall back into the "hell-hole" but so far so good, and thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: