Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Magnesium Supplements  (Read 503 times)

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Magnesium Supplements
« on: January 29, 2014, 02:21:50 PM »
Hey all, so last night was kinda the straw that broke the camels back for me and I started looking into natural anxiety relief (I am 100% not taking prescription medications again.) I read that magnesium could help but of course I also see side effects ect. I was thinking about taking 250 MG once a day just to have it because I do eat a healthy diet 90% of the time so I'm worried about over dosing  :laugh3:

Has anyone heard of this and/or tried it? Outcomes? Worth trying?

Side note I've had a headache behind my eyes (mild) and mild dizziness for a week straight now - anxiety symptom? It's been bad lately.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Magnesium Supplements
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 02:38:12 PM »
If it helps... i started using it last week in an attempt to prevent migraines as much as i can. Also taking vitamin b2.

I've had no side effects... just bright yellow urine (TMI) hahaha. (but thats the vitamin b2 not magnesium)

what side effects have you read?
Bookmark and Share

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 03:07:09 PM »
If it helps... i started using it last week in an attempt to prevent migraines as much as i can. Also taking vitamin b2.

I've had no side effects... just bright yellow urine (TMI) hahaha. (but thats the vitamin b2 not magnesium)

what side effects have you read?

Ha! I would hope it helps with migraines too! Just diarrhoea and stomach cramps basically, I know people use it for constipation also, but my anxiety already gives me bowel issues so that doesn't bother me.  :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 06:07:08 PM »
I started taking magnesium about 3 months ago (250mg day) - but I started it because I am always so constipated and they said if you take calcium tablets to take magnesium (I'm still constipated the same way as always and my anxiety is as bad as it's always been - so I see NO benefit and no side effects  ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 07:17:50 PM »
No benefit to my anxiety but it's been helpful for energy levels due to the fact the last two weeks, I've had a handful of nights where I only slept 4-5 hours.
Bookmark and Share

Offline alesha

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 07:25:43 PM »
I've heard of people taking magnesium to help with anxiety and I was going to try it also.
I would like to follow this post to see others views and experience.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »
I took 250 MG this morning and had really soft stool this afternoon (sorry TMI!) It wasn't bothersome, however. I also lack sleep a lot so hopefully that will help. I don't expect to see immediate results of course, but I really don't think 250 MG can hurt. I may take 250 in the AM and 250 and the PM - thoughts? Maybe too much.
Bookmark and Share

Offline christina10778

• A.K.A. "Noble Queen"
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • "If God is for us, who can be against us?"
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 08:05:57 PM »
I usually have real bad insomnia and can't get to sleep for at least an hour, sometimes two, after laying down and then I wake up throughout the night and have issues falling back to sleep. I usually wake about 2 hours after I finally fall asleep....

But, I started taking 120mg of Magnesium (citrate/malate) every night, about an hour before bed, over a week ago and already I find it a lot easier to fall asleep (about 15-30 minutes), I stay asleep for longer periods of time (about 4 hours now), and when I do wake up it doesn't take as long to fall back to sleep. I love Magnesium....Plus, it's a natural muscle relaxer  :yes:

And, just like you, I eat healthy (organic all natural whole foods-Vegetarian turning Vegan) most of the time.
My cheats are usually stuff like Amy's Meals, Boca "meat", etc. And that's about twice a week.
I do have a weakness for sugar....but most of the time I bake my own stuff so it's 100% Organic and Vegan.
But, it's still sugar which does not help Anxiety at all  :(

I also take B12 and I'm also planning on adding Niacin to my little supplement regimen.
Niacin is extremely helpful when it comes to any mental illness and a deficiency in it will cause all kinds of issues like depression and disorientation.

Anyways, Magnesium has been helping me.   
Bookmark and Share
My Health Anxiety Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8-5ZQ6ZyRtI4ccjpE_4QwQ/videos

1 Peter 5:7 - "casting all of your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you."

Offline park682

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 08:43:24 PM »
It's funny, Ive had a blood clot fear for the past 2 months because of leg pain (but 2 negative d dimers and ER visits telling me I don't have  a clot) and my mom told me today that all my leg pain can be a mix of anxiety and a magnesium deficiency....is this true?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Delomelanican

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 08:52:34 PM »
You want an effective natural anxiety supplement? take 1.5 to3 grams of Niacinamide a day . Safe and very effective, similar effect as benzodiazepines except no dependence and it's just a b vitamin. Not only is it anti anxiolytic , it has been shown effective at inhibiting HIV and also tuberculosis. AND against MRSA antibiotic resistant staph infections. It enhances the phagocytosis activity of macrophages, reduces inflammation and is anti microbial.
I have some references if you want me to send me to you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 06:02:06 AM »
You want an effective natural anxiety supplement? take 1.5 to3 grams of Niacinamide a day . Safe and very effective, similar effect as benzodiazepines except no dependence and it's just a b vitamin. Not only is it anti anxiolytic , it has been shown effective at inhibiting HIV and also tuberculosis. AND against MRSA antibiotic resistant staph infections. It enhances the phagocytosis activity of macrophages, reduces inflammation and is anti microbial.
I have some references if you want me to send me to you.

Ooooh!  I don't know about her wanting references, but I'd sure like them!  Sounds great!  I have been taking Xanax too much lately ( point 25 once a day for a few weeks).
Bookmark and Share

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 11:56:20 AM »
Magnesium helps for many different issues. I currently take magnesium. You must see which kinds you are taking as some cause you to constantly be in the bathroom. Not pleasant. Others are better absorbed. I take Magnesium glycinate and it is a bit more expensive. There is Magnesium oxide which is the least absorbed and is the one that does cause you to be hunting for the washroom more.
I take it for kidney stones and for fibromyalgia and for anxiety. Like anything it takes your body time to adjust to it. It is more for relaxation than for anxiety though.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: