Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Natural supplements  (Read 1297 times)

Online insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Natural supplements
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 04:41:55 PM »
In the states there is always Lovaza... :p

Most fish oil supplements have a better EPA-DHA ration than Lovaza and they are usually considerably cheaper.  Studies have shown that for anxiety and depression EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid) is the important omega-3 fatty acid. For reference, Lovaza contains 465mg EPA, 375mg DHA. About 2.5 ordinary fish oil capsules would contain 465mg EPA, 310mg DHA. Some brands contain even higher ratios.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline mothmama

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
I have remained on the unmedicated side of things for quite some time (I could be diagnosed as GAD) and am finding some relief with herbal supplements, a B complex and fish oil. I take a small dose of St. John's wort in the am, along with tinctures of lemon balm, California poppy and skullcap as needed. For sleep, I have a ritual of drinking a cup of chamomile tea. I know it sounds "weak" but it really works to help make me sleepy. Spirituality, yoga, music, EMDR (trauma therapy) and CBT have helped the most.
And oddly, aromatherapy does help. My therapist once gave this patch with various oils in it that were quite soothing.

I have just read some powerfully convincing research about CBD (cannabidiol) being very effective for anxiety. It is the non-THC component of the hemp plant. It's legal in the US because it doesn't get you high. I ordered some and am waiting for it to come in the mail. If I find it effective, I will make a thread about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MLB2805

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 10:10:48 PM »
Thanks mothmama
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Offline appleshampoo22

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 08:52:39 PM »
All the research I've read on fish oil corroborates what Ian said. I take a fish oil formulation that has a higher ratio of EPA to DHA as EPA has been shown to have more efficacy in improving mental health and anxiety-related disorders. The formulation I take has 550 mg EPA and 215 mg DHA per capsule and I take two or three per day. My only complaint is that it's a pricey supplement, but it seems to help.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything