Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Terrified from neck lymph nodes and swallowing issues  (Read 412 times)

Offline HOL71

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Terrified from neck lymph nodes and swallowing issues
« on: January 28, 2014, 03:58:31 PM »
I've been suffering badly with HA for the last 18 months but starting from May last year all my symptoms started to be around the neck area.

It started with a strange rubbing feeling coming from my adams apple area shortly after I swallow saliva. Doctors were dismissive and called it globus but I have yet to find anything written with similar symptoms. You can actually hear it, it seems to get louder early in the morning and late at night.

In June I started to feel a couple of small bumps under my chin (I think they are the submandibular glands). They were a challenge to find at first but got progressively more noticeable to the point I can now feel them instantly (they are about 10mm one side is fairly cypherical and the other slightly larger and flatter) and can move them around my jaw. It almost seems like they have drooped.

Shortly after I came across a couple more glands still under the jaw but more towards the ear, these feel hard and much smaller.

December saw the arrival of yet another gland. This one is on the left side of my throat near the Adams apple area. Its slowly gotten bigger and is about he size and shape of a piece of sweet corn.

Right now I can feel all 5 glands above but also if I prod just below the corner of each jaw I can feel some that feel to be fairly flat and 15mm or more. If I tense my neck and throat muscles I can feel a whole lot more too.

The doctor is fairly dismissive of them all. I have a blood test pending but apart from that no action has been taken. Although I hope the doctor is right a little more proof would have helped. It just seems a little too coincidental that all these problems are occurring in the throat area.

I seem to be in a complete panic at the moment which is having a massive effect on those around me. I know it's impossible to diagnose but I'm posting to see if anyone else has had similar experiences and to see if there really are harmless outcomes to it all?

Bookmark and Share

Offline HOL71

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Terrified from neck lymph nodes and swallowing issues
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 05:55:13 PM »
Hi! I do feel short of breath very easily but breathing is not normally difficult (put it down to anxiety). Voice is ok at the moment but a month or so ago I was constantly clearing my throat and croaky. I do have a very tickly throat  which has been with me for a few weeks but I have put that down to a virus as my whole family seems to be coughing. I don't think I ever get the full feeling in my throat although it feels a little puffed now following a day of gland poking and prodding!

The clicking sensation/noise is always there when swallowing saliva and sometimes when swallowing food and drink. I can move my head a certain way and I can reduce it to almost nothing which is weird. The noise it makes is not a typical click like clicking your fingers would make, more like about 50 quiet clicks played in quick succession.

Do you have similar including the glands?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Firecress

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 06:26:34 PM »
It sounds like some of those may be salivary glands.

I would think the fact that each gland started to swell after you found it (rather than all becoming noticeable at the same time, as I'd suspect would almost certainly happen if there were a systematic glandular problem) means that you've trained yourself to find them more easily or you're irritating the spots by poking at them. How often do you check them with your fingers?

With regards to the rubbing feeling, can you describe what it feels like in more detail?
Bookmark and Share

Offline HOL71

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 03:17:51 AM »
I am serial checker. I can't stop prodding them and feeling for lumps. I must check them at least 15 times per hour.

I think you're right about the glands in the submandibular area being salivary glands I just can't work out why they became more and more noticeable and prominent.

This morning I woke to find my swallowing worse than ever and my neck feels puffy with the 2 glands just under my jaw by my ear feeling huge (2cm+).

Explaining the feeling in my throat is difficult. It seems about 1 second after swallowing saliva something springs back and makes a noise and I can feel it in my throat behind where I think the hyoid bone is. At first in May it was like a little squeaky squirting sound and feeling of my pipes being stuck together and re-opening but now 8 months on it is much more pronounced. I have tried a PPI for about a month but that didn't help.

It's a little sad but I have recorded the noise! If there is any way to upload a WAV file I could post it for you?
Bookmark and Share

Offline HOL71

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 06:54:00 AM »
Just as an update my blood results are back in and all they have said is I need to see a doctor about them. Panic mode is now in overdrive :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline HOL71

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 11:33:15 AM »
That sounds very uncomfortable. Was today the first appointment about it?

I was called into the doctor this afternoon. The problem with my bloods was raised neutrophil and WBC. Doctor did some examinations looking for any infection but couldn't find any. Seemed a little perplexed when none of the swollen glands were tender. The outcome is just to wait and see for 3 weeks and go back. I have to say it's made matters worse for me and I've gone in to meltdown.
Bookmark and Share

Offline HOL71

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 03:37:05 PM »
Eric, that must be terrifying not being able to get your breath. I would be tempted to go to the Hospital A&E dept in that situation.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: