Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: So scared that I have melanoma! :(  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Ineedtosmile

• A weirdo that needs to smile.
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • An experienced hypochondriac...
    • Poke This Member
Re: So scared that I have melanoma! :(
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 05:50:29 PM »
My advice is to not worry too much and keep an eye on it if it gets worse, but i higly doubt it :)
Bookmark and Share
Personal note no.23 - Think of some funny caption to put in here

UPDATE, 4th May 2015: Still haven't thought of a funny caption.

Offline inksie

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Excuuuuse me, Princess!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 06:05:16 PM »
<3 thank you. I feel a lot better now. :)
Bookmark and Share
Video games help me forget about my troubled HA.

"The flow of time is always cruel... Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that doesn't change with time is a memory of younger days..." - Sheik.

Offline mommy2my4boys

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 06:18:06 PM »
I just wanted to tell you that I too have a fear of melanoma!! I went to a dermatologist just a few weeks ago for a mole that was starting to change colors around the edge. Also had a few other very large, abnormally shaped moles. He removed them all at the visit. Today I got the news that all of them were benign!! I spent months and months just freaking out because I was sure I had it and I've read all about the survival rates too. Ick! You shouldn't have to have a referral to see a dermatologist.. my doc just glanced at one or two and said "They look fine."... that wasn't good enough for me, so I called a derm and made my own appointment. Yours are most likely perfectly normal, but they can be removed and checked very easily. I now have peace of mind, for now... about this anyways.  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline inksie

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 06:50:33 PM »
That's so good to hear! I'm glad everything turned out to be okay. Unfortunately, I live in the UK and I am with the NHS. I don't have a specific doctor, I just see who is available but even still, we have to be referred to a dermatologist otherwise I would have to go private (which would cost me a whole lot which I probably do not have!)

I kept asking if he was sure and asked him to be referred and he said no, as it has become increasingly hard to be able to "refer" patients to a dermatologist as he thinks that the moles look fine... It really hasn't given me peace of mind, though. Ugh I hate this so much... I just want it to end :( I won't have any HA after this I know I wont... but this is really getting the best of me. I am so young, I am scared I am going to die.

Did you see my pictures? Do you think they look normal or did they look anything like yours?
Bookmark and Share

"The flow of time is always cruel... Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that doesn't change with time is a memory of younger days..." - Sheik.

Offline mommy2my4boys

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 10:01:48 PM »
I did see your pictures. I wouldn't worry if nothing is changing. My mom's friend has melanoma and the mole became raised and veryyy sore to the point you couldn't even touch it. Yours don't look scary. Mine had all the characteristics of melanoma but still came back just fine. If something starts changing or hurting then go back to the doctor for sure, but most likely you are totally fine. I even felt that one of mine was itching constantly, drove myself crazy for months! Please don't do that to yourself.  :sign0195:
Bookmark and Share

Offline MOchp

• Anxiety Magnet
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • Living in Fear of My Own Body
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 02:55:32 PM »
I wanted to offer some support. Melanoma is my current fear as well, and it is a hard one to break. I'm not a doctor, but your moles that you posted don't look abnormal. I have an oddly shaped one on my arm that my derm said was fine and it's been there for a long while with no changes. I am near your age (23) and melanoma is pretty rare to begin with, but it is really rare at our age. Over 90% of cases are out of our age range (20-34) with that being skewed towards the higher ages in that range I imagine, make it even more rare at our age.
Bookmark and Share

Offline karachondria

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 03:03:28 PM »
I have a mole exactly like your second one ! My dad even has a mole with THREE different colours
Seriously skin cancer is pretty uncommon and it's very treatable but I think you're fine honestly
Bookmark and Share

Offline inksie

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 05:39:02 PM »
Thank you for your replies, everyone! Knowing that you guys are coming back with benign results and diagnoses really makes me feel a lot better.

I have had my moles for a pretty long time too. This one, at the back of my ear looks like this but everyone has been saying that it looks fine. Do you think it looks okay? I had had this mole ever since I was a child I believe. Here is a picture:

Also, has anyone accidently(or deliberately) picked a mole off? I have one close to my labia/inner thigh (I think) that I was regularly picking and about 2 nights ago it got picked off. :( I didn't realise it was even there. I'm worried that it could have been a melanoma mole and I will never know!! :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ineedtosmile

• A weirdo that needs to smile.
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • An experienced hypochondriac...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 05:42:31 PM »
It looks fine by me :)
Bookmark and Share
Personal note no.23 - Think of some funny caption to put in here

UPDATE, 4th May 2015: Still haven't thought of a funny caption.

Offline inksie

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 06:00:21 PM »
I wanted to offer some support. Melanoma is my current fear as well, and it is a hard one to break. I'm not a doctor, but your moles that you posted don't look abnormal. I have an oddly shaped one on my arm that my derm said was fine and it's been there for a long while with no changes. I am near your age (23) and melanoma is pretty rare to begin with, but it is really rare at our age. Over 90% of cases are out of our age range (20-34) with that being skewed towards the higher ages in that range I imagine, make it even more rare at our age.

I have seen that the rates of melanoma suddenly increase at the 20-24 mark and steadily increase into older ages. Not to scare you or anything :(
Bookmark and Share

Tags: