Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: A Confession. Desperately need advice/help.  (Read 512 times)

Offline anothereveryman

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: A Confession. Desperately need advice/help.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 03:12:29 AM »
I have a prescription for sertraline (generic Zoloft). I intend to take it before I see her again and give it a sincere chance to work, though last time I had chattering teeth I simply couldn't stop, especially when trying to sleep, peripheral tingling and even problems using the restroom.

Unfortunately, SSRIs can produce a range of unpleasant side-effects in the first few weeks. I'm guessing your prescription is for 50mg tablets. If so, buy a pill-cutter at the pharmacy and only take half a tablet daily for the first week or two. If half tablets still trigger too many side-effects you could drop back to a quarter tablet and increase the dose by a quarter every week or so to the prescribed dose.

Ian

This psychiatrist is pretty brutal. My prescription is for 200mg! I could attempt to quarter one of the two 100mg tablets I'm supposed to take, messy as that might be...

With that in mind I'll take your advice. Thank you for responding. Not sure what to do about the benzos, though. I may need to take them simply for compliance purposes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 05:50:58 AM »
This psychiatrist is pretty brutal. My prescription is for 200mg! I could attempt to quarter one of the two 100mg tablets I'm supposed to take, messy as that might be...

I hope that you were started on a lower dose that this originally and gradually had the dose increased over time.

Not sure what to do about the benzos, though. I may need to take them simply for compliance purposes.

Again, you don't have to take anything you don't want to. You are the one in charge. However, I suggest you don't have the prescriptions filled if you're not taken the benzodiazepines lest someone starts wondering where they are going if you're not taking them.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline anothereveryman

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 06:27:29 AM »

I hope that you were started on a lower dose that this originally and gradually had the dose increased over time.

Not sure what to do about the benzos, though. I may need to take them simply for compliance purposes.

Again, you don't have to take anything you don't want to. You are the one in charge. However, I suggest you don't have the prescriptions filled if you're not taken the benzodiazepines lest someone starts wondering where they are going if you're not taking them.

Ian

I do have to take them, so I hear, to stay on disability. I do have problems, very real ones, and even if I feel the meds havent helped in the past, I heard noncompliance could disqualify me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 07:11:12 AM »
I do have to take them, so I hear, to stay on disability. I do have problems, very real ones, and even if I feel the meds havent helped in the past, I heard noncompliance could disqualify me.

I'm not an American so have no understanding of the laws that may apply, however, I would be surprised if the government dictated a person's medical treatment.

Hopefully, someone with an understanding of how the disability system works will be able to shed some light on this.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline anothereveryman

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 08:10:50 PM »

I'm not an American so have no understanding of the laws that may apply, however, I would be surprised if the government dictated a person's medical treatment.

Hopefully, someone with an understanding of how the disability system works will be able to shed some light on this.

Ian

I hope so too.

I'm going to see my therapist tomorrow, and because she's part of the same service that my psychiatrist belongs to, she might know more about this. I'll come clean with her, and almost certainly re-start my medication regimen then. I'm very deeply afraid of losing my coverage that I'm willing to endure a lot.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything