Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Starting out 100mg Zoloft -Sertraline  (Read 349 times)

Offline edosmonsterink

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Starting out 100mg Zoloft -Sertraline
« on: January 27, 2014, 07:13:32 PM »
Hey there,
So today I went to my GP and she wants to up my dosage from 50mg to 100mg of Sertraline starting tomorrow. Im a lil nervous cause I hear that jumping so fast can be bad. I do want to get my worry of a mind under control and stop having anxiety about having anxiety!! I am just over it and want to be back to normal. I was wondering how should I go about this and if anyone Has jumped from 50mg to 100mg of Sertraline  and what should i expect ?? I have a prescription of Clonazepam 0.5mg  and Ativan 0.5mg and was only given a small amount 10 pills'   so should i take them everyday of the first week of the 100mg jump?  So if anyone has gone through this please let me know. As I am a worry rat and want to just get better. thank you and hope everyone gets better.

-EDDIE
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Starting out 100mg Zoloft -Sertraline
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 07:53:52 PM »
So today I went to my GP and she wants to up my dosage from 50mg to 100mg of Sertraline starting tomorrow. Im a lil nervous cause I hear that jumping so fast can be bad.

I suggest you go up to 75mg/day for a week and then to the 100mg, Eddie. But you need to run this past your doctor as there may be a reason she wants you up to 100mg faster.

I have a prescription of Clonazepam 0.5mg  and Ativan 0.5mg and was only given a small amount 10 pills' so should i take them everyday of the first week of the 100mg jump?

Given the low number of tablets I suggest you take them when needed, not preemptively.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 08:40:05 PM »
So today I went to my GP and she wants to up my dosage from 50mg to 100mg of Sertraline starting tomorrow. Im a lil nervous cause I hear that jumping so fast can be bad.

Hi Eddie,

Based on the posts you've written on this forum (and although I haven't participated in your threads, I have read them), you have a very high rate of anxiety.

A reasonable psychiatrist would know that a jump from 50 to 100 mg on Zoloft(Setraline), for someone with your high level of anxiety, may not be the most beneficial jump.  I know it's not a reasonable jump, based on the large number posts I've read from users that visit this forum, who also have anxiety disorders.  50mg jumps on Zoloft(Setraline) don't seem to do too well for anxiety disorder sufferers.  I have an anxiety disorder too, likewise I'm also on Zoloft(Setraline), but not to scare you, I wouldn't do a 50mg jump during the first few weeks on Zoloft (Setraline).

Are you seeing your GP, instead of psychiatrist, based on a lack of money, or your insurance won't cover a psychiatrist?  Yes, it's needed to have a doctor to prescribe you the medications.  I also think it's helpful to have a specific doctor that has studied these psychotropic medications, and knows their effects.

In comparison to psychiatrists, some general practitioners are lacking in their knowledge of psychiatric medications.  It may be helpful to ask more questions to your doctor about her background with these medications.   You are the patient, and you are also the employer.  Your doctor works for you, since you pay her, and you should know her rationale on why she would have you jump from 50mg to 100mg, if she's aware of your high level of anxiety.

At least, that's what I think.

Steve

Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline edosmonsterink

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 12:00:52 PM »
Are you seeing your GP, instead of psychiatrist, based on a lack of money, or your insurance won't cover a psychiatrist?  Yes, it's needed to have a doctor to prescribe you the medications.  I also think it's helpful to have a specific doctor that has studied these psychotropic medications, and knows their effects.

Hey Steve,    yes I'm just seeing a GP  cause my insurance doesn't cover psychiatrist  and yes now due to lack of income  because I'm self employed and not have been able to work as much I can not see a psychiatrist.  Your right about her not knowing everything about what I am going through cause when I talk  to  her  about it. All she says it's too breath.  And she upped my Sertraline from 50mg to 100mg on  Monday but yet to do it.

The last couple of days I have been feeling odd.  I'm on my  24th day of the full therapeutic 50mg of Sertraline (31 of the whole process with 25mg for aweek) and now I'm feeling tightness in my chest and like a soar throat.... I don't know if that's normal with these. So now I'm just playing the waiting game. 

-Eddie
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
and now I'm feeling tightness in my chest and like a soar throat.... I don't know if that's normal with these.

These are common anxiety symptoms, Eddie, but if in doubt get them checked by your doctor.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 04:59:02 PM »
Hey Eddie,

Hey Steve,    yes I'm just seeing a GP  cause my insurance doesn't cover psychiatrist  and yes now due to lack of income  because I'm self employed and not have been able to work as much I can not see a psychiatrist. 

That sucks.  I know the feeling because I've been out of work due to my generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), which had affected my ability to have health insurance, when my anxiety disorder was activated.  It sucks not having the insurance to get a decent doctor, and it sucks to not be making as much money as we want, because our brains freak out due to the Generalized Anxiety Disorder. GAD is a beast!

Your right about her not knowing everything about what I am going through cause when I talk  to  her  about it. All she says it's too breath.  And she upped my Sertraline from 50mg to 100mg on  Monday but yet to do it.

I don't think a doctor will take an anxiety disorder as seriously, unless they've experienced the disorder themselves.  Usually a doctor of a similar medical condition will choose a profession akin to their own condition.  For example, a doctor with anxiety issues, would choose to be a psychiatrist.  Or a doctor with pregnancy concerns or women's health issues would probably be a woman too, since the doctor would relate with her female clients and use the profession to heal her issues too.  However, a male doctor would not be as an ideal person to see, if one were a woman with pregnancy concerns or female health issues, if that male doctor didn't keep up to date with those conditions, although he probably may have briefly reviewed it in medical school.

Which is like how many general practitioners are about psychotropic medications,. They know about them, but haven't fully studies them.

I would advise you to get a psychiatrist, since there are programs that will offer you support financially for psychiatric conditions. Personally I would research every psychiatrist in your area on the internet, and check their stats on ratemds or yelp, because I take my psychiatrist very seriously when managing my health condition.

If we can be as critical about we eat, or what we drive, or who we hang out with, we should critical about our doctors.

However - I don't mean to give you a lecture there - sorry if it came across like that in my tone - I just feel very concerned about my doctors.

But you got to work on with, what you've got, and at least you have a doctor to prescribe meds, so make use of what you have for now.  She prescribed the meds, however you'll need more research about how to take the medication, so it's good you found a forum like this to get help.

Again,I don't recommend you jump to 100mg Zoloft this week, or do 50mg jumps.  It's just too quick.  I would take 12.5mg jumps every week, because I was able to handle smaller jumps, however some people take 25mg jumps.  People who jump higher often experience higher anxiety in the next two/three weeks, than someone who increments on smaller doses.

Definitely tell the doctor about the things you've learned on this forum, or through ther research you've accumulated on how to take your medication, because if you feel confident about your medication, you'll feel better much quicker.

Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline edosmonsterink

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 10:26:51 AM »
Thanks Steve for all your help.  And no its not like I am being lectured at all. I am very thankful that I have found this site as it has become my safe haven. I have learned so much from the month that I have been a member. I know that I am not alone in this battle. And it gives me hope knowing that there are plenty of people who are like myself and do care and do give their advice.  So thank you very much.

GAD has affected me so much that I have lost the will to do my daily life. I have not worked and can't function. I put on a fake smile and act fine when in the back of my mind that's going crazy I know I am hurting. Panicking is a horrible feeling and anxiety has consumed my life for the past 6 months.  I pray every night to just wake up normal..... I ask.... Why... What did I do to deserve this?  I'm a good person..... Why me..?

I can't eat, I can't sleep, I can't remember what it is to be normal..... What is normal?

Thank you for the advice of the jump from 50mg to 100mg of Sertraline.  I will Def do the smaller jumps to hopefully avoid to much of the side affects. Especially the heightened anxiety.  I hope upping my medication will help and balance me out .  I've lost everything..... I can't lose anymore.
Bookmark and Share