Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Please help me!  (Read 155 times)

Offline deeferlynn

• Rec's: 2
  • Que sera, sera
    • Poke This Member
Please help me!
« on: January 27, 2014, 03:21:39 AM »
Hey all,

I'm not sure where I should post this-- was going to post it in the health anxiety, however, it's not for me. My sister was diagnosed with aortic stenosis and it has recently gotten worse. When she went in originally her heart beat was skipping every 1 in 10 beats-- it's now at 1 in 3. The murmur has gotten worse and she is scheduled to go see the cardiologist in February. I'm so scared about it and for her. I googled (stupid decision) and found out some bad information. So, now that's triggered me that I've stayed up the past few nights, gotten about 8 hours of sleep in the past few days. I make constant checks while she's sleeping to make sure she's still alive.

I'm just afraid of what could happen in between now and when she goes in for her appointment. She's only 26 and the Dr. was astonished that she had this considering her age as this shows later in life. Every time she has an episode (her heart races and it's hard to catch her breath) or her back hurts or arm hurts, I tense up. I don't know what to do. Last night it got so bad that she almost had me take her to the hospital. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to help her.

If anyone has any advice, please, I'd appreciate it. I'm going to lose it.
Bookmark and Share
"Just a heads up: 90% of the things you worry about will never happen. 90% of the things that happen will never occurred to you."

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please help me!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 05:40:53 AM »
I can well understand the fear anybody would have if they heard they had such a condition. At most you can really only offer support for your sister. There is no way to gloss over the treatment for such a condition. It will all depend on how bad they deem it to be when she has tests carried out. I have heard of aortic valve replacements. I am one of those who watches operations on TV. That would happen in cases were it is considered very severe. She will really have to wait for the test results to come back. I am also aware of a treatment called diuretic therapy. More of a short term treatment. If it is not severe they may suggest that. For now you can only be there for your sister. It is hard to suggest anything until the test results come back and we know how bad it is. But try and remain positive for her. To be negative might frighten her even more.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline deeferlynn

• Rec's: 2
  • Que sera, sera
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please help me!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 03:00:55 AM »
Thanks Cuchculan. Your words are reassuring. When I googled to find out more information on what aortic stenosis was, I came to a part which said that 4% of patients die within 24-36 months of diagnosis. So, right away I took that and the fact that her condition worsening, and catastrophized it.

Thanks again. I'm going to try and be positive for her. Hopefully too, I'll be able to sleep and that'll help with the rational thinking processes.
Bookmark and Share
"Just a heads up: 90% of the things you worry about will never happen. 90% of the things that happen will never occurred to you."

Tags:

anything