Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Constant DVT fear - Feel like I am going Nuts  (Read 594 times)

Offline dustin

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Constant DVT fear - Feel like I am going Nuts
« on: January 27, 2014, 02:11:27 AM »
Hello there. I thought I would post to get some insight.

Since the beginning of last month, I have had a constant fear of DVT. It started when I felt fluttering sensations down my right calf. I tried to avoid it all, but I then noticed a swollen bruise and vein in the back of my calf, along with some light blue surface veins emerging. I freaked! I ran to the ER, and the doctor said "that isn't a DVT, it is a blood clot, but a superficial one. Just go look it up"

I should not have followed his advice. I freaked out when I seen the results, as DVT could have been a possibility. There was never swelling, redness, or intense pain, but I was still panicking terribly.

Fast forward two weeks, and the bruise is gone, the light veins still remain, and I am still uneasy. I was lying in bed and felt my left thigh, and it felt lumpy. I am overweight, so I thought it was just fat. I look down, and there is another bruise, with a bulging blue vein. Again, I went into overdrive, panicking like crazy, and ran to the ER.

I begged for a ultrasound, but the doctor would not authorize it as she said it is just a varicose vein caused by weight and to calm down. Since, I have found another vein on the same thigh, though it is not bulging, just blue. There is also discomfort on that leg along with a little gap or crease of sorts, but everyone tells me it is all in my mind. I can't sleep, I can't function, I am just a total mess. I can't go back to the doctor as I got my answer, and have no insurance to see a GP. I keep hearing there needs to be intense pain and swelling and redness is what I should be worried about, and to calm down and go live. I am such a mess. Every single pain or light soreness I feel immediately becomes associated, and I am at my wits end. No one seems to be listening, and I just want to curl up and cry. I have had the roughest emotional year of my entire life with the loss of my mother (who was my HA coach of sorts), and don't know what to do.

That last doc I seen said I need therapy, but I am just sitting, wasting away in worry, worried about having a PA at any time. I shouldn't have googled, but when I google, I don't just look for symptoms, I look for stories of survivors so I can see what they went through. Soreness was one and so was visable veins - varicose, and I am a 100% mess.

Bookmark and Share

Offline JenBNimble

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Constant DVT fear - Feel like I am going Nuts
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 11:24:26 AM »
First of all, I'm very sorry for your loss.

I also have a horrible fear of DVT, so I can totally relate. I think varicose veins themselves can cause leg pain, so it's possible that you're feeling actual symptoms from that, and then your anxiety just makes it seem so much worse than it really is. Unfortunately I don't have any great advice. Stop googling. I know it's hard, but it's really not helpful to do it. I've found the two best things for keeping my anxiety in check are avoiding caffeine and getting regular exercise. Exercise especially may help ease symptoms of varicose veins.

Best of luck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 11:52:02 AM »
I had a DVT 14 1/2 yrs ago.
The sign was that I had a leg that got very red, swollen and hot. More than just pain.
I could barely move my leg or fit it into a shoe.
I went to the ER and they were telling me it might be a DVT or a groin pull--trust me I was hoping for a groin pull at that moment.
I spent 10 days in the hospital that first time. They had to start me on blood thinners and get my blood to a level that seemed right.
I was on blood thinners for 2 1/2 yrs and then hemorrhaged. I am not on coumadin or medical blood thinners now but I do it naturally.
I make sure I drink enough water. I take certain vitamins and minerals and sometimes a baby aspirin and yes I make sure I walk at times and sit at times.
I try not to cross my legs (not a good thing for anyone with vein issues). I wear a very strong compression stocking each day as well on the leg.
I have a doppler done at least one time a year sometimes more. I have what is considered vein insufficiency now.
Yes I am still aware of what happens but I try to not worry so much about it. My DVt was what the vascular doctor considered very large at the time too.
I found out that I have a metabolism issue with vitamin b so now I try to make sure that I take extra of Vitamin B --B6, B 12 and Folic acid.
I have gone to my doctor at times every now and again when I think there is an issue and I have bursitis in my hips so that was one of the issues and then another time it was trigger points and pain from my feet and walking and my posture.

Bookmark and Share

Offline park682

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:18:06 PM »
I wanted to let you know that I am going through the same thing right now...I wish I could just tell you to ignore it and trust the doctor. But I have a hard time doing that as well. I've had calf pain and leg burning in both legs for 2 months. After 2 negative d dimers, my doctors refuse to do an ultrasound and so my min wonders...then I Google and read, most likely, the same stories you do online and makes me think, "it happened to them, why not me" or "the doctors made a mistake with that person and they had a clot the whole time"

All I can say, it try not to google or think about it...my thoughts are with you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline dustin

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 10:09:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I went to work, and the back of my knee has been bugging me now. Doesn't seem to be red, and the pain isn't intense, just sore and bothersome. I want to believe it is nothing, but the veins scare me to death. I hate it so much. Distractions everyone is telling me. Just find one and I will feel better. That is what I want, but I am obsessed it seems and need to get a grip so I can think clearly.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: