Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Zoloft and Hair root pain?  (Read 146 times)

Offline Wanttofeelbetter

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Zoloft and Hair root pain?
« on: January 26, 2014, 09:47:01 PM »
Hi everyone,

So I started Zoloft on December 1, 2013. I'm now into month 2. Since the beginning of January I've been experiencing hair root pain. Not to the point where it is a "problem", but the pain is there when I touch my scalp or hair. No headache, no itching or rash.

Had anyone else experienced this? I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the Zoloft. I've never had this before. I use same shampoo and hairstyles for years.

Thank you :)
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Zoloft and Hair root pain?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 09:58:42 PM »
Had anyone else experienced this? I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the Zoloft.

It could be the Zoloft, though it is probably the skin around the hair follicles that is producing the symptom, not the hair roots. The skin makes and uses about as much serotonin as the brain, about 2% of the total output. Blood vessel tone - contraction and dilation - is also mediated by serotonin. All these processes may be affected by serotonergic antidepressants. They usually diminish after a few weeks, but can linger for some. Zoloft is the SSRI most likely to produce symptoms involving the skin.

I suggest you raise this with your doctor, however, there is probably little that can be done other than allowing it to run its course, or, if it continues to be a problem, switching to another SSRI.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Wanttofeelbetter

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Zoloft and Hair root pain?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 05:43:11 PM »
Thank you Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: