Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Panic attacks about vertigo, etc.  (Read 218 times)

Offline SereneGrace

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Panic attacks about vertigo, etc.
« on: January 26, 2014, 02:22:10 PM »
I've had anxiety for about 9 years (I'm 22). I have a family history of anxiety, depression, and vertigo. My grandma, who I was very close with, passed away last month. She was very supportive and always knew how to calm me down. A few days after she died, I experienced my first dizzy spell. The room started spinning, and I was freaking out not knowing what was going on. For about 3-4 weeks after that, I was constantly afraid of getting dizzy again. I was mostly laying down in bed, and not doing much. Even driving down the street to do my daily activities was just awful. Along with the dizziness, I always feel lightheaded. I work in a retail store, and like many others, they have fluorescent lighting. When I walk in, I feel very dizzy and lightheaded. I have Meclizine, but it hardly ever works. I did go to a doctor about 3 weeks ago and she did diagnose me with vertigo. She also gave me Prozac 20mg, which I've been taking for almost 3 weeks as well. I've been feeling a little bit of the effect. I'm able to drive farther distances now; but not much. I still have my moments when I get scared for no reason, panic for no reason, and I feel sad. I also wonder if Prozac causes weird thoughts? I take it at nighttime, and when I try to go to sleep, my mind just won't stop wandering, I keep thinking about random and strange things. I've also been having suicidal thoughts, (and I was suicidal a really long time ago), but I would never commit *****.

At the present moment, I keep worrying about working tomorrow. Friday was just awful; the vertigo was terrible, the lightheaded feeling was awful, and I felt very nauseated. I panic because I don't wanna go to work and throw up in front of people. I'm also afraid of passing out from the vertigo, or just simply falling down.

Has anyone experienced this, and/or know how to live normal again? Any help would be appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panic attacks about vertigo, etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 06:10:11 AM »
I remember when my panic attacks first began. When I was outside the house I would have to hold onto the walls or railings as I walked along. That fear of falling over. My biggest mistake was letting it take charge of me and driving me into my house for a number of years. The only place I ever really felt safe. Our breathing can go all sorts of ways. This is something we have to learn to fix. How to breathe in the correct way. To tell ourselves that we are in control. Just start out small. Even the front garden. If you feel dizzy just stand there and use breathing methods. Tell yourself you know that they work. You can find loads on you tube. To get dizzy, at times, is to do with hyperventilating. We take in too much air too quickly. Our world can begin to spin. I had a doctor who made me hyperventilate along with himself on purpose. Just to show me how to calm down again. At first I thought he was mad. The room was starting to spin. Then he talked me back down again. Used breathing methods. I was fine in no time at all. Plus I showed myself what I could do. I had a bit of belief. Always important to have. Practice makes perfect. So practice until you can get it right.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline SereneGrace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:57:29 AM »
I've never thought of that, but I'll definitely try it. Thank you very much!
Bookmark and Share

Offline blueskies

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 11:19:53 PM »
Hi Serence Grace,

This is my first post to this site and I've just been reading different posts until now. Those fluorescent lights do make me feel worse at times -- dizzy, anxious etc. But I've found that wearing sunglasses help. Recently, again, I read the experiences of someone else that blue lens coloured glasses have made a difference and make the lights more bearable. I've heard a few others over the years say the same thing about the blue lenses or sunglasses. Not a lot of people but definitely some. I used to wear blue coloured lenses to use the computer (I find the computer screen can have an anxiety inducing effect) and have decided to try this again. I just thought I'd pass this on as a suggestion.

blue
Bookmark and Share

Offline dreamspirit

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 11:51:11 AM »
My dad was diagnosed with Vertigo a couple years ago and sometimes the dizziness can last for a month or more.. I feel bad for him and I can't believe he don't have anxiety/panic attacks along with it because I know I would. I know what it is like to have it. I've had a weird sickness in my early twenties that caused me to have non-stop dizziness and feeling like I was going to faint every min even though I never did faint.
I had that sickness for like 3-4 months and that's when all my anxiety attacks started and I've had a problem with the panic/anxiety attacks since. That is also when a doctor put me on Paxil and I've been on it for 16 years now.. I'm slowly starting to taper off of it now..
Bookmark and Share

Tags: