Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy...  (Read 833 times)

Offline scb07d

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy...
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 01:32:22 PM »
I think in the coming decades more people will become aware of the fact that you cannot easily control anxiety/depressive symptoms.

CBT is based on the idea that a person can deliberately change how they're feeling by "adjusting" their thoughts internally. It's useful to explore CBT I think, but I don't believe it actually works. That is, I don't think Cognitive Restructuring actually works. It's probably more effective to adopt a view of Mindfulness in relation to uncomfortable events and focus on concrete actions.

The problem is the same as with other proposed solutions though... people are always willing to try something new to fix how they feel. So you try it for 6 months, maybe you see some improvement, but you can't legitimately say the improvement was caused by the CBT... you spend a bunch of money and move on to the next thing.

Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 88
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 07:50:18 AM »
Does CBT work? Is dealing with our brain easy? Does Mindfulness work? What are concrete actions in relation to anxiety/depression? My expenditures have been moderate and I am not ready to move on and close this door.

The problem with CBT, as I see it, is that it requires work, attention, effort, persistence. But it also offers hope, optimism and the possibility of transforming our brain into a friend at least some of the time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• Easy on the sauce...
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • No matter how far down, You can always get out.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 07:50:18 PM »
Hey chuck,

I'm starting mine too, had my first orientation today. Just in two hours I felt like he connected with me so well. I'm curious as to how yours will go. Keep us updated.
Bookmark and Share
Sometimes, when I'm home alone, I fill my bathtub with tomato sauce and pretend I'm a meatball.

Offline BusuB

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 05:58:21 PM »
After not reading everyone else's response, here's my experience.  It's helpful.  It doesn't necessarily get rid of anxiety, so to speak (obviously with me being here), but it makes it more.... acceptable.  As in, I don't freak out over it.  Don't get me wrong it's still uncomfortable, and I'm still looking for ways to reduce my overall anxiety levels, but it has helped me cope with it much better.  Rather than stewing on a setback for weeks like I used to do, it's been reduced to days, or hours even.  It's helped me return to work even when my anxiety is at high levels.  Panic attacks don't knock me out of the game for days at a time anymore. So yeah, it's helpful.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: