Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Career/Work options for ppl with anxiety? What do you do for work?  (Read 1602 times)

Offline NeurosisOsmosis

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Career/Work options for ppl with anxiety? What do you do for work?
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 02:48:51 PM »
Otherwise programming as I like computers but know nothing about writing code.   

You don't have to be a genius or a mathematician to learn how to code. That's a facade put on by insecure needleheads.  You only need to be willing to sit down and study, as you would if you were learning any other language.

I recommend starting here: http://cli.learncodethehardway.org/book/

Bookmark and Share

Offline Baz

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 03:10:04 AM »
Hi Yola thank god I don't have to work my family has money so they help me. I don't know what I would do if I had to work. I tried jobs before but would quit after a few days because of my SA. My mother had SA when she was young I guess I got it from her anyway she told me she used to eat in the bathroom at lunch her SA was so bad. But she had no choice but to work public assistance was hard to get back then so no way she could avoid not working.

So she eventually overcame SA because she had to. Maybe it would be better if there was no way to avoid people like in my mothers day and I would have gotten over my SA like her. Anyway, I've been isolating for a long time because my SA is severe my therapist says but I've gotten a lot better and think I'll get over SA soon. My advice force yourself to do things like college work and I bet you'll overcome SA. I wish I had no choice but to confront my SA I might have a life by now!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Isa

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 07:41:09 PM »
I am also interested in this. I work about 10 hours a week at a small women's gym. It works okay most of the time as I have some freedoms to go to the back room for a few minutes or have a whole hour when no one shows up. However there is also the flip side when 6 or 8 people can be there or I have to help train a new person on the machines. Most of the women are unfortunately older and complain or talk about health problems, surgeries, and friends/family that have died of heart attacks or strokes, etc. and that doesn't help my constant worry about myself dying. I am looking for something different now that I preferably could do either from home or close to home but I'm at a loss as to what it could be.
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 11:39:23 PM »
My anxiety keeps me from going out to places to just have fun, but I can somehow tolerate work. I don't know why, and I work in a police precinct as a civilian with a good amount of responsibility. If I lose my job because I cannot go, then I will lack insurance to treat myself. I force myself and my mind seems to mold around what I push back into my comfort zone. I used to love going to bars and having fun, but since my last birthday (Last July) -- well, not ON my birthday, but around that time -- it has been VERY hard for me to go out and see friends. I finally mustered up the courage to go to a fire at a friends house a couple of weeks ago, so I am making progress.

I also was an active firefighter, and my anxiety got so bad that I am now on medical leave. It's volunteer, so it's whatever... But I used to be able to handle incredibly high stress situations and be fine. A couple of years ago I fought a wildfire for over 12 hours straight and I was fine. Tired, but not anxious. Now I go to the supermarket and I feel light-headed. See how things can change? But I am continuously trying to push myself to push my comfort zone out again.

As for medicine, Xanax has been a God send. I don't suggest it for long term use (Anti-depressants and such stay in the body much longer and work better for long term treatment), it's great for when you're starting on new medicine and the effects haven't started kicking in yet. I take the smallest dose at .25mg and that's enough to even me out. I also have Propranolol (10mg, also a very small dose) that my Psychiatrist prescribed for me. That helps the physical manifestations of anxiety. I think anxiety definitely affects me mentally, but the WORST part(s) were the physical manifestations that came along and snowballed the anxiety into a mountain. I'd feel kind of anxious and my chest would tighten up and/or my breathing would become a bit shallow and/or I'd get lightheaded. So what does my mind do? "Well, I don't feel well, so lets panic!" Even if I tried self talk, it didn't always help. Breathing techniques did if I could find a quiet spot, but imagine being at the cash register buying some groceries and a guy starts doing rhythmic breathing exercises lol. On the outside I dealt with it and probably seemed calm, but on the inside raged an inferno of anxiety that made me want to leap out of my skin and jump through the front window.

Anyway, I suggest seeing a therapist as well since they can help. Work and socializing is important to us as human beings. We all should feel moderately OK to go out and talk to people. Having a bit of anxiety is normal, in my opinion, but our anxiety is at a much higher level. That's why we seek treatment and help. I hope soon I can be back to myself, socially.

Best of luck to you!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: Career work school 

anything