Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Physically sick from anxiety  (Read 290 times)

Offline mta214

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Physically sick from anxiety
« on: January 25, 2014, 07:18:58 AM »
My anxiety is currently at the point where this morning I became physically ill from it.  I actually threw up, and that hasn't happened in a very long time!  I had been feeling slightly better until yesterday.  Nothing that I can think f caused it to worsen.  I'm stressed about things at home, but that's been the case for quite some time now, and I haven't thrown up over it until this morning. 

Does anyone else's anxiety ever get this bad? I'm wondering if I should contact my therapist.  My NP won't be available until Monday.  Thanks for reading this.  Posting here makes me feel a little less alone!
Bookmark and Share

Online kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Physically sick from anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 08:05:29 AM »
Hi,

A long time ago, I learned about the brain-gut connection (I developed irritable bowel syndrome) especially for those of us who deal with anxiety. At times, I would become physically ill . . . before a presentation, I could not eat or drink and I would still have the "dry heaving" . . . . I am, thankfully, much better now but I still have the brain-gut connection in times of anxiety . . . I have no easy fixes because for me it was a process to mediate this brain-gut connection . . .there are meds, but I tried other non-med interventions . . . now, please do not misinterpret . . . meds can be extremely effective . . .  a colleague who had severe IBS was prescribed meds (I can't remember what now) and it did marvels for him . . . .he also, though, engaged in lifestyle changes and eventually (I don't know about now as we have lost contact) he had the meds as what he called "his security blanket") . . . .I was a bit more fortunate in that exercise, eating properly, and meditation appears to be my saving graces but, again, I won't lie, I still have the physical symptoms that you describe . . .

I would suggest that you consider seeing a counselor who can guide you to identify even hidden triggers for your anxiety and help you to deal with them while managing your physical symptoms . . . I also write almost daily in my diary . . . . I try to figure out what might be bothering me and also writing helps me to take the edge off of anticipatory anxiety which, for me, is thinking about what might happen the next day . . . once I get it down on paper, I let it go because I realize that I cannot control all the what if scenarios and that makes me know that my anxiety is simply there and that I don't have to suppress it, but acknowledge it and then move on . . . oh, yes, it remains in the recesses and pops up, but I know many of my triggers and I have even resolved several of the bigger ones . . . as I say, this anxiety thing is a process rather than an event . . . but keep writing to yourself, to us, to whomever (I have a stuffed penguin who is my confidante and if I am too tired to write, I just talk its ears off) . . . we'll do our best to support you but, yes, check in with a counselor or your NP as soon as you can . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline mta214

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 09:31:19 AM »
Thanks so much for your reply KC and for offering what works for you.  I do most of what you suggested, and I have found exercise to be very helpful.  Immediately after I got sick this morning, I got dressed, bundled up and went for a brisk walk.  It did help some.  My anxiety was better overall this week, which is why I don't understand why it was (and still is) awful this morning.  My therapist is currently helping me unravel my triggers, but I see her again in 2 weeks.  She is usually available to text, so I may do that.  I'm just upset that it's so much worse today when, as I said, it was a little bit better overall this week.  Often it feels like I'm taking one step forward and two steps back! :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline mta214

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 04:04:15 PM »
Thanks Eric.  Today is really difficult for me.  I wish I knew why.  I texted my therapist earlier, but she hasn't responded yet. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: