Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: convinced i have brain tumour, doc wont test  (Read 2448 times)

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Re: convinced i have brain tumour, doc wont test
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 05:18:20 PM »
There are endless articles and stories out there about people being repeatedly misdiagnosed with anxiety/stress when they had brain tumours.
And how many more times are the doctors right? Where are all of the articles on that? If doctors were all so terrible at their jobs, they wouldn't have jobs. There wouldn't be a point in going to the doctor because they'd never get it right.

And also, how many more times are there out there where people THOUGHT they had a brain tumor and didn't have one? How many times have you read about that happening here alone? It happens way more often than people being diagnosed with actual brain tumors. 

You say you've seen endless articles about misdiagnosis, what about the alternatives? There are way more instances where the doctors are right, and most don't get sensational news articles written about them online.

You are already on a forum for hypochondriacs. Some part of you knows that it's anxiety. 
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline mrdave92

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 05:43:29 PM »
i am told it's anxiety hence me being here seeking advice on whether anyone's been through anything similar but my symptoms arose from nowhere and they're 24/7. As i type this my eye is twitching, my foot is hurting, my head is agony, my chin is tingling and the room is spinning. It's awful. With my worsening symptoms it seems irresponsible of them not to order further testing. An eye exam and neurological tests aren't conclusive enough to rule out anything serious.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Taurus4

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 05:55:24 PM »
If you're seeking someone who has been through the same thing as you, I have been. I did get an MRI after seeing my doctor 5 times and after an episode I had one night where the pains in my head were so terrible I thought I was having an aneurysm. The MRI came back completely clean and the symptoms subsided. It didn't take my anxiety away, though. Eventually, I did end up moving on to another illness and that cycle will continue until you treat your anxiety, not looking for an illness that isn't there. I feel for you because I've been in your position and I know it is hard to think anything other than the worst when your anxiety takes over. I need to start taking this advice again myself, as I am starting to let those demons creep back into my head. Please believe your 8 doctors and don't push for an MRI that isn't necessary. It's treating your anxiety that should be your number 1 priority.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 06:15:28 PM »
i understand that but my symptoms are getting to be so severe that i can't ignore them and the cause of my anxiety is the symptoms themselves. I'm getting so dizzy, my adrenaline jolts are becoming more frequent. I feel very faint like i'm going to pass out and i have a headache 24/7 that is getting worse. I never get headaches and i know the pains are real, i have felt ill for months and i've read about brain tumour sufferers who had my symptoms down to a tee. I just know if my symptoms worsen much more i'll be in serious trouble. I've had a facial and neck rash and the hot flushes are awful and come on so randomly. My whole body feels like it's trembling and everywhere is twitching/tingling. My chin feels numb as we speak. I'm just waiting to have a seizure at the minute or lose control of a limb, it seems like that's all that's left to happen
Bookmark and Share

Offline LynnBee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 06:21:13 PM »
Sometimes your anxiety will "make up" or "focus" on symptoms to distract you from other things. I went from no headaches ever to chronic headaches for a month straight or so after I started having problems with cervical dysplasia. It's funny - rather than focus on the actual health problem that I have, I worry about these headaches and think maybe it's a brain tumor. Rather than worry about my actual money/financial problems, I get myself worked up over random heart palpitations.

I guess my point is we HA people are really, REALLY good at focusing on either the wrong thing, or things that aren't really there. Work with a professional about your anxiety...try and focus on if you have real life (and when I say real life I don't mean things you've been Googling and are convinced you have!) issues or problems your mind might be putting on the back burner to focus on "other" symptoms.

With all that said: I had a brain tumor scare when my chronic headaches/pain/etc stuff came about. The general consensus as I understand it is MOST people with brain tumors do not only have headaches. I'm sure you read articles where it was "missed," but the majority of people who have brain tumors present with symptoms other than headaches...seizures. Changes in mental status. Loss of consciousness. Our brains are highly sensitive organs...if there's something growing in there that shouldn't be you would know about it. I had a friend who was diagnosed with a benign tumor when we were younger, she had it removed just fine...but it wasn't just headaches. It was headaches + debilitating nausea + vomiting + vertigo on a regular, daily basis...not just "headaches and random aches and pains." And regardless, she had it removed almost a decade ago with no problems...you'd never know it now to see her.

"ranging from aches and pains, muscle twitches, tingling everywhere, strange adrenaline surges, sleep jerks, loud gurgling stomach, eye pain etc." <---- I get all of these on a regular basis when my anxiety is acting up. Hell, I get some of these on a regular basis even when my anxiety is low. I get adrenaline jolts really, really bad when my anxiety is bad. I know what you're describing...that moment when you're about to fall asleep and for some reason you get a jolt of adrenaline and you sit up straight in bed as though something is about to kill you...yeah. I have gone 24+ hours without sleep because of those things at the worst. The problem is it's a cycle...the more you have them, the more you are afraid to have them, so you get revved up, and the more likely you are to have them again trying to sleep.

My mom gets them too. She's been getting adrenaline jolts off and on for about 30 years. They suck, but they don't mean you have a brain tumor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrazyQuacker75

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 06:59:40 PM »
You sound very similar to me, but I don't get dizzy. My headaches are very similar to yours it seems like, I have been able to tolerate mine. I've been to an eye doctor and my GP and neither of them even thought tumor, the only reason they talk to me about it is because I brought it up. My head pains have been going on for three months now. My doctor said he might send me to a neuro not because he thinks it's a tumor but just to make sure something else isn't going on. This all started when I had anxiety issues, now I focus on every single ache and pain and probably magnify the severity. My headaches aren't debilitating but just annoying, sometimes they are in the front of my head other times on top or the back. I still am concerned that something is wrong with me but day by day I'm calming my self down and I can feel my self getting back to the old me. two weeks ago for about two weeks straight I had a feeling in my head like it had been stuffed with something and that nothing was going on in my brain, This was the scariest thing I've ever experienced, It did eventually go away. I've had body aches, twitches, heck there was a period of time where four days straight I woke up with my whole body shaking, I woke up with a numb arm and face for about a week, I get occasional stabs of pain in my head(these are referred to Ice Pick headaches and are benign, but very annoying), I've felt like my concentration and focus has been off but when I work out I'm a sharp as a tac. I also go to the gym everyday and am a year younger then you. Those eye and neuro test are pretty darn effective when it comes to eliminating brain tumor as the cause for issues, I have heard that 90% of tumors are suspected and found because of a bad eye exam that lead to further testing, and someone who is no longer on the forum had two family members with brain tumors and they failed their neuro exam. Things that come an go are often a good sign that it isn't something sinister. I'm not trying to he harsh, and I am certainly not diminishing your symptoms because just like they are with me, they are very real and very unfortunate. I posted to let you know that you aren't alone and it appears someone else had symptoms like us, got tested and was clean.
Bookmark and Share
In the race against myself

Offline CrazyQuacker75

• Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 07:27:08 PM »
Also your issues could be stemming from your sinuses, or back/neck tension.
This is a great video for neck pain and sometimes quite literally make my head aches melt away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6netzXNlvAI
Bookmark and Share
In the race against myself

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 02:19:19 AM »
The very fact that you have so many symptoms is probably why your doctors aren't concerned about a brain tumour. They simply don't work like that.

One of my friends had a brain tumour and he had one worsening symptom. He lost all of the peripheral vision in both eyes because the tumour was pushing on his optic nerve. He went to one doctor who sent him for an emergency MRI and then that's ame day he went to hospital.

A brain tumor pushes on one part of a persons brain at a time and then gradually other symptoms start to appear as it grows and pushes on other parts of the brain that do different things.

This many symptoms at once is almost always anxiety related :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 05:25:14 AM »
i understand that but my symptoms are getting to be so severe that i can't ignore them and the cause of my anxiety is the symptoms themselves.

Dave, you have it backwards. Please listen to what Stephtronic (and others) are trying to tell you. It's not the symptoms which are creating anxiety (although they're definitely helping persist it), it's the anxiety that is creating the symptoms. It's a positive feedback loop until you ACCEPT anxiety as the source of the symptoms.

People seem to have an incredibly difficult time accepting that anxiety creates physical issues when it most definitely does. It's not just a mental disorder that makes you feel scared/anxious - it's a condition where the brain is too often firing off the sympathetic nervous system and too often preparing for (hello adrenaline) episodes of varying fight or flight that takes a toll on the body. This results in overall inflammation of various portions of the body, seemingly random physical symptoms, and debilitating cycles of anxiety/panic.

Your dizziness is most likely psychogenic dizziness related to the brain continually having to deal with the underlying anxiety. By accepting the diagnosis of anxiety, you free yourself (or at least start down that healthy road) from having to continually freak out on each new symptom. What you should be thinking is "damn anxiety", "there's that anxiety again", "this is BS, these symptoms are annoying", etc. - *not* "I feel adrenaline in my system, I must have a brain tumor."

Anxiety is the source. It is what is triggering your body. You need to change your perception of this in order to get better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 06:24:17 AM »
last night my headache was that bad it woke me up in my sleep and this morning it's absolutely terrible. It's getting worse when i cough or bend forward which the doctor even told me was a bad sign. I don't know what to do. My dizziness extends to when i close my eyes and lie on my side, i feel like the room's spinning and random surges of adrenaline shoot through me when i change position, it's terrible. I never EVER get headaches and this has worsened for weeks to the point now that it's debilitating. I had nausea and vomiting over a week ago however it got better and i regained my appetite. Does Prozac cause headaches and worsening dizziness? i had them beforehand but since starting it's gotten so much worse. The lines have been blurred so it's hard to tell but the fact the headache woke me up and is worse when i cough or bend forward can't be a good sign at all. I have terrible tingling all down my right side and the dizziness is nearly stopping me walking in a straight line.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything