Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: convinced I have an abdominal aortic aneurysm  (Read 1290 times)

Offline orpheus

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: convinced I have an abdominal aortic aneurysm
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 07:16:40 PM »
and thanks for the feedback
Bookmark and Share

Offline mydogisnamedslippy

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 10:28:17 PM »
My boyfriend definitely has this...he's just super skinny. I think my dad might have that to. I watched your vid.
Bookmark and Share

Offline orpheus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 11:32:45 PM »
does he get anxious about it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Connor94

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 01:03:34 AM »
I too have worried that I've had this condition on multiple occasions. I noticed the throbbing when i lay down, and can see my pulse. What i try to tell myself though is that it is normal when you are thin, and laying down. I have no pain there, and i am young and do not smoke. The risk of it is very low unless you are older and a smoker. If your doctor has examined you and you do in fact have it, they should be able to feel a lump. So try to take your doctor's word for it even though i know it is so hard to do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline orpheus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 07:54:34 PM »
well i can see pulsing standing up.

actually it seems more noticeable than when i'm lying on my back.

It's not so much my doc, it's the CT Scan that didn't detect anything. The doctor just looked at it but didn't really feel....this was before the scan.
Bookmark and Share

Offline orpheus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 12:27:48 AM »
well i can see pulsing standing up.

actually it seems more noticeable than when i'm lying on my back.

It's not so much my doc, it's the CT Scan that didn't detect anything. The doctor just looked at it but didn't really feel....this was before the scan.
Bookmark and Share

Offline orpheus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 06:39:47 PM »
Guys and gals, it's been a month since I posted on this thread and every day since I'm still obsessing about my visually pulsating aorta!

I fear death every day.  I do'nt have to look at the video I posted above. I see it every day. I dream about it. Dream about dying.

I think I should get one more ultrasound or something. Demand that they explain why I can see it pulsating even standing and at rest!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 06:54:32 PM »
You never asked him why you can see it?  Did the doctor LISTEN to it?   He'd hear turbulent blood flowing threw it.  That's more the tell tale sign rather than just seeing a pulse there.   If he listened to it and said nothing, I would have to say you are fine.  Maybe that's just the way your aorta is or something.  Like I can see my pulse in my wrists all the time.  Plus you'd have some sort of pain.   I seriously think you have nothing to worry about if it's only because you can SEE the pulse there.  CT scans and ultrasounds pick up things like that and you had a CT scan. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline orpheus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 07:38:06 PM »
You never asked him why you can see it?  Did the doctor LISTEN to it?   He'd hear turbulent blood flowing threw it.  That's more the tell tale sign rather than just seeing a pulse there.   If he listened to it and said nothing, I would have to say you are fine.  Maybe that's just the way your aorta is or something.  Like I can see my pulse in my wrists all the time.  Plus you'd have some sort of pain.   I seriously think you have nothing to worry about if it's only because you can SEE the pulse there.  CT scans and ultrasounds pick up things like that and you had a CT scan.

Well I have a twin brother and his is barely palpable,, much less visually pulsatile.

No, the obtuse doc just looked at it after I had to point out that the pulsation was not coming from the damn upper intestines. She probably saved her ass by not listening to it....all I know is the CT Scan mentioned my heart was normal size, so it must have visualized the upper abdomen.

But this is new to me...or at least i had not noticed this in years past...and i obsess about my body so i'd have noticed. 

I do get upper abdominal aches, which is why i got the CT SCAN. She said it would have to be very enlarged to cause pain and that pain is mostly associated with lower back pain....she was kind of dismissive. This is the day I learned about what an aorta did....and it scared the crap out of me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 07:58:53 PM »
Well if I were you I think the thing that would put my mind at ease is to have it listened to and if that isn't enough to ease your mind, get an ultrasound.  You are really doing yourself a bigger disservice by being so worried all the time, I know the he// I go through worrying about stuff (but I don't GO to a doctor because I am too terrified  :dazed:).  Not sure if you are like me or like most of the other people on here who welcome a doctor for reassurance.   But like I said the CT scan IS another test they do for it and yours was clean.  And like you said, if it picked up your heart it obviously had to pick up our aorta.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kimmiejo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 08:00:16 PM »
I have this, I can see my pulse in my upper abdomen when I stand or lay down, I have had this for a long long time, I noticed it first years ago, I am talking 15-20yrs! I am 39 now. I never really though much of it, I am skinny just figured that was why. I have had a CT of chest, abd, pelvis for another reason and it showed my aorta to be normal so I think this is likely just how some people are built. If you had a CT and everything was normal in size I think it is safe to say you are, or at least your aorta is fine. That being said I am not a dr and I don't play one on TV ;)....just wanted you to know that I too have this and oddly of all the things I worry about this isn't one of those things, go figure lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline orpheus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 10:12:45 PM »
Well if I were you I think the thing that would put my mind at ease is to have it listened to and if that isn't enough to ease your mind, get an ultrasound.  You are really doing yourself a bigger disservice by being so worried all the time, I know the he// I go through worrying about stuff (but I don't GO to a doctor because I am too terrified  :dazed:).  Not sure if you are like me or like most of the other people on here who welcome a doctor for reassurance.   But like I said the CT scan IS another test they do for it and yours was clean.  And like you said, if it picked up your heart it obviously had to pick up our aorta.

I always agonize about going to the doctor. I had to pop a ton of xanax just  to go in there for my CT SCAN results. I do want to point out that I've always had some healthy anxiety, but after a liver cancer scare last year that required me to wait five days to find out the results of a follow up MRI, I have not been the same since. Maybe PTSD?

I guess I just want to know how or why I can see pulsating when I look down if nothing is enlarged. Just seems bizarre to me.

I have this, I can see my pulse in my upper abdomen when I stand or lay down, I have had this for a long long time, I noticed it first years ago, I am talking 15-20yrs! I am 39 now. I never really though much of it, I am skinny just figured that was why. I have had a CT of chest, abd, pelvis for another reason and it showed my aorta to be normal so I think this is likely just how some people are built. If you had a CT and everything was normal in size I think it is safe to say you are, or at least your aorta is fine. That being said I am not a dr and I don't play one on TV ;)....just wanted you to know that I too have this and oddly of all the things I worry about this isn't one of those things, go figure lol

Did you watch my video (heart rate was 140bpm there from a jog) so you can clearly see the visible pulsations! I remember first noticing this in August of last year. I was hurrying into my house and lifted up my shirt because I'd become obsessed with my stomach looking distended. And I saw my stomach moving. I freaked out because I had no idea why my heart was beating in my upper abdomen. I don't smoke, but I do eat fast food like the average american. I would say the only thing I did in the past was drink too much. I always worry that it will come back to bite me.

Yes, the doc obviously would point to the CT SCAN results. . but i worry that it didn't propery visualize this or that......i took a cardiac stress test and the cardiologist (who didn't feel the upper aorta, just the lower part for some reason) wasn't there and the other one didn't do it. ugh.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dragi316

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 11:06:57 PM »
Nothing we can say is going to take the fear away. You really need to go to the Doctor and express your concerns and at the very least finally get dome peace of mind
Bookmark and Share

Offline aec711

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 10:55:06 AM »
OK so as an x-ray/CT tech I feel like I should share some info with you.... first of all - my husband has this and we even have laughed about his beating abdomen - no biggie. More common than you probably think.  Secondly - your aorta is tucked behind your skin, fat, muscle, stomach etc... so you aren't exactly seeing your actual aorta - although it may be making all that other good stuff move a bit.  If you had a CT scan - it would have been seen - easily. There would be no way to not see it well - just doesn't happen. Aortas are visualized very well on CT scans - you cant not see it lol.   Secondly - no radiologist would miss that.  It is a large finding and easy to see if that were the case.  Radiologists go to school for a long time and don't miss much - they don't want to be sued :)  Also, your heart sits right there on top of your diaphragm - it beats...all the time :)  It can shake things around too - especially if you are always anxious - like me :) Hope this helped a bit.
Bookmark and Share

Offline orpheus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 01:34:04 PM »
Aec711, thanks for that reply. Not to put your opinion over others, though it does help that you are an x-ray / CT tech.

I didn't mean to attack people in your field. I just am so paranoid because they were looking at a hemangioma (not cancer) and I started to think "What if they were too focused on the liver and didn't catch the aorta?"

But I had an MRI of the abdomen a month before I saw my pulsation and it said "aorta of normal caliber."

The CT SCAN in October 2013 just said the aorta was among the unremarkable things.  Did you happen to see my video and does your husbands beat higher in the abdomen like mine? Every time I type in AAA it shows the belly so I thought maybe it was more unusual to see the aorta beating close to the heart.  I'm glad to hear they're visualized well and if they mentioned "normal size" heart then claerly they must have looked at this strong aorta. When I heard the aorta was just in front of the spine i freaked out.

In my case, it may be pushing against my pancreas and sstomach and liver. LOL....Kind of creepy to think it's moving things around.

But i'm not nearly as anxious about itanymore other than the discomfort of seeing my pulse. Thanks again for the feedback

Bookmark and Share

Tags: