Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: convinced I have an abdominal aortic aneurysm  (Read 1277 times)

Offline orpheus

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
convinced I have an abdominal aortic aneurysm
« on: January 24, 2014, 12:59:52 AM »
in august I noticed my aorta visibly pulsating in the middle upper abdomen just below the s ternum. I can see it and feel it beating in synch with the heart. I've noticed I got achy in that area month or so before I noticed it beating....The doc saw the visible and palpable pulsating but because I'm 33, male, and not obese (I have a pouch because I collect fat in my gut, but otherwise thin), she wasn't overly concerned and just said it was my aorta.

She thought the pain might be something else because I'd gotten an abdominal ultrasound in July that mentioned the aorta being normal size, but didn't indicate what part of the aorta. Got CT Scan in October of the abdomen for upper abdominal pain and the findings mentioned the heart and the lung (normal), so presumably it visualized the aorta area in the upper abdomen......but it mentioned nothing about an enlarged aorta.....what gives?

Is there a more specific scan for the aorta? Why would I suddenly see pulsating in the upper abdomen from a artery that is near the spine? Makes no sense...

I'd seen a cardiologist for a stress test because of fatigue and passed it, but I never had him look at the aorta.

I have an iedntical twin brother who is my weight and doesn't have a palpable aorta ....what gives?

I also had a chest X-ray, but that didn't show anything wrong with the heart itself.

I have health anxiety.....but why do i see this pulse all the time in my upper abdomen. How can this be normal? It's not and I'm convinced something is wrong...that the scans missed something .....i dream about it a lot. i think about it most of the day........my life has gone to hell since i noticed this....i'm convinced soon i'll be in a position where i have to wait to get surgery knowing that it could burst and take me out withing minutes..........
Bookmark and Share

Offline orpheus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: convinced I have an abdominal aortic aneurysm
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 11:19:12 AM »
Btw, I uploaded a recording of the pulsing just after a mile jog so my heart rate was up (140bpm?).

So you can see here the pulsing.

http://youtu.be/IVSgdm0e-z0

Wouldn't you be freaked out too? I know I've had two scans (one an MRI just a couple weeks before I saw the pulsing) and another (CT SCAN) about 2.5 months after I noticed this pulsing. But I don't believe the tests. Or rather, I walk around all the time feeling my upper abdomen. And I always look at the pulsing.

I showed my mom and she doesn't seem concerned at all. I showed an acquaintance who draws blood in a hospital and see said she'd only be concerned if i hadn't gotten so many tests. All I want is for someone to explain why I'm not the unfortunate statistic who is 33 with an AAA....
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dragi316

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 01:51:44 PM »
Ive been through this fear many times and trust me the CT Scan would have shown if you had a dilated Aorta . I had 3 Abdominal CT scans myself for this fear . I am 99.9999999 % sure your Aorta is fine
Bookmark and Share

Online NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 01:59:40 PM »
I've had the same thing for 25+ years.  I didn't even notice it until a doctor mentioned "wow, you have a strong pulse there!".  I think its a hereditary thing, some have it, some don't .  When my cat lies on my tummy, I can see her moving up n down low bc the pulse is THAT strong...  Never caused my any problems.  Hugs
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline orpheus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 05:03:23 PM »
Really? Did you guys watch the video...>GRANTEd....that's my pulsing with my heart rate at 140bpm after a jog........but do you guys havev something similar?

Bookmark and Share

Offline cravenmobile

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 05:17:42 PM »
Are you thin? I'm a thin guy and I can visibly see the pulse of my descending aortic artery when I lay down.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Vasallus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 05:20:26 PM »
I have this same thing going on. When I lay on my back or lean back in my chair I can see my stomach jiggle with each pulse. I'm a bit heavier than you, but I've lost a good bit of weight so this is probably why I never noticed it before.

I watched your video, and I should hope after a jog you'd be able to see your heart beat! 140 BPM is pretty fast, and I think it's pretty normal considering how close that is to your heart.

The pain could be muscular or gastrointestinal. What's your diet like and what do you do foodwise before you jog?
Bookmark and Share

Offline orpheus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 06:09:31 PM »
Well, watch the video. I am 165lbs, but as you can see I am hardly in shape. I seem to accumulate all of my fat in the lower gut, which is one of many reasons why I thought I had colon cancer last year......

http://youtu.be/IVSgdm0e-z0

As you can see, I'm standing up. I can always see pulsing, but the video shows what it looks like when it speeds up (with my heart rate at 140bpm after a jog).

Vasallus, but that's not even my heart. Why would I see the pulsing from the aorta? or maye because, as you said, it's because it's the area of the aorta closest to my heart. But it looks like something serious.

I don't eat before I jog, actually. I've had a lot of aches and sometimes get chest pain when i focus on it.....so i've tried really hard to put pain in perspective. i've had flank pain, chronic stomach aches, and chest pain--all diminished 95% after i got tests that showed I was OK.....but I am feeling REAL pain....:(

Had a colonoscopy/endoscopy for nothing! Just for peace of mind :(

And I noticed this not long after I started my colon cancer scare. So when i got my clean results, I started to obsess about this pulsing.....and when i jog, you can see why i freak out. looks like the scene from ALIEN!!

Even when I try to not think about it, I subconsciously think about this pulsing.....

I could understand seeing a pulse if you lie on your back. but i actually see it fine now as I'm standing up.

My frame, as you can see, is heavy in the lower abdomen and thin in the upper abdomen. Weird...

Did you guys get scans specifically because you were worried about an enlarged aorta?
Bookmark and Share

Offline cravenmobile

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 06:31:06 PM »
I am going to tackle this in a specific way.

Your descending aortic artery is really big, its big enough that if you cut it in-half you could almost stick your thumb inside it. Outside that it has thick thick walls. What are the warning signs of a descending aortic aneurysm (bubbling)?. One of them is a high blood pressure, another is a reason to believe that there is weakening of the arterial walls (usually age). But are you worried about a di-secting aortic aneurysm? which comes with the horror stories of an extreme ripping tearing pain and I have only seen one of those in my career, and he was pretty old.

Another thing is when you look up what the traditional anatomy of a human, it would say that your descending aorta cant pulsate your stomach like that, but not everyone matches that original design. there are other very vascular organs there (liver) which can pulsate when you have spontaneous high blood pressure brought on upon anxiety. If you have any doubts, get that mother ultra sounded. Just remember that amount of pressure isn't given to a artery that can fail easily.
Bookmark and Share

Offline orpheus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 06:59:34 PM »
I am going to tackle this in a specific way.

Your descending aortic artery is really big, its big enough that if you cut it in-half you could almost stick your thumb inside it. Outside that it has thick thick walls. What are the warning signs of a descending aortic aneurysm (bubbling)?. One of them is a high blood pressure, another is a reason to believe that there is weakening of the arterial walls (usually age). But are you worried about a di-secting aortic aneurysm? which comes with the horror stories of an extreme ripping tearing pain and I have only seen one of those in my career, and he was pretty old.

See, you'd think I'd know more about the aorta since I'm freaking out about an AAA. Di-secting sounds like it's burst....yes I worry that it may burst in the future because I can see it pulsing. I have no idea how a CT SCan works....i guess it should have caught it....but sometimes I wonder if the radiologist ignored it. One thing I noticed is i have a mildly enlarged liver, according to the conclusion of the report.
you work in the medical field? How many cases hacve you heard of and anyone 33 years old? does what you see in the video look like an alien to you? Does to me. But maybe i'm overthinking it (I don't want to spend another $500 just for a cardiologist consultation.

I'm adopted so I don't know my medical history. mother drank herself to death. Father still alive. But he's a migrant worker. No idea if he has seen a doc.

Another thing is when you look up what the traditional anatomy of a human, it would say that your descending aorta cant pulsate your stomach like that, but not everyone matches that original design. there are other very vascular organs there (liver) which can pulsate when you have spontaneous high blood pressure brought on upon anxiety. If you have any doubts, get that mother ultra sounded. Just remember that amount of pressure isn't given to a artery that can fail easily.

I'm thinking about it. I did get an Ultrasound in early July which prompted the late July MRI (they found a hemangioma on my liver)...... so i may have to see a different doctor for that. US preferred over CT SCAN?
Bookmark and Share

Offline orpheus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 02:42:28 PM »
btw, why do you think i never noticed this pulsing before? or is it possible to get it later in life
Bookmark and Share

Offline orpheus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 05:23:30 PM »
bump
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 05:37:39 PM »
If you're concerned, get an ECG (echo) and if it shows nothing, I'd stop being concerned. Not all body designs are exactly the same and some have different features with the same overall general organization of internal organs.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dragi316

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 06:54:38 PM »
A CT scan is the best most accurate way to view the Aorta . And if you had that and the doctor didint say it was dilated then you are fine. You can see your Aorta because you are thin when you are bigger the Aorta usually cant be seen
Bookmark and Share

Offline orpheus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 08:07:49 PM »
I know but I always think "What if the CT Scan" did properly visualized the aorta?

I really hate that I can see this but just lifting up my shirt. Doesn't look healthy....

I have Raynaud's disease, which affects the little blood vessels leading to the hands and feet..... sometimes i worry this is related to a heart issue.....but wh o knows.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: