Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Almost convinced I'm infected with rabies  (Read 480 times)

Offline silverfish212121

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Almost convinced I'm infected with rabies
« on: January 23, 2014, 08:53:35 AM »
So, approximately four days ago I was outside for a morning jog/walk...Suddenly, I felt something pressing my thigh and pushing me forward. I looked behind me, only to see a vile-looking stray dog looking back at me. It kept rubbing his head on my thigh and left after chewing the headphone wire I was holding (which I threw away later that day-after having touched it with my bare hands, which often have miniscule scratches on them). I didn't feel it bite me (nor could I see anything after closely inspecting my thigh with a mirror), but I was wearing tight sweatpants, so if it did indeed bite me, it most likely penetrated my skin. I did clean all the areas it may have bitten with alcohol, but I know how useless that is in the case of a virus like that.

I woke up this morning with a VERY sore/dry throat and a stuffy nose. I looked up the initial symptoms of rabies...only to find out that they are flu-like. I also feel muscle fatigue (but that could be due to anxiety)...I am panicking right now and wondering whether I should just accept the fact that there is no cure for me at this point. I can't even study right now (which is what I should be doing).

There are LOTS of stray dogs where I live (Greece) and since 2012 there have been some reported cases of rabid animals (mainly foxes). Some of the neighbouring countries pose a high risk for rabies, so you can see why I'm freaking out...
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: Almost convinced I'm infected with rabies
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 09:57:34 AM »
Welcome to anxietyzone. You don't have rabies as you were not bitten by the animal and
as you stated, foxes were found to have rabies in some cases, but no dogs were mentioned.
Just because an animal is stray, does not mean it has rabies.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline mjayster

• Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 10:17:31 AM »
Once the flu symptoms come on rabies symptoms appear and kill you within a matter of days. The flu symptoms also don't come on the next day, it takes at least a month for the flu symptoms to appear. I was also deathly afraid of rabies, obsessed by it actually. A dog scratched me in the park and I thought I had it. I just kept thinking as long as I don't die of rabies I don't care how I die. I didn't die of rabies and I do not have rabies. It is your anxiety and OCD. If you could not see a visible bite on your leg and didn't feel anything then there is no way it could have transmitted it to you. Also the dog would have to be symptomatic before it could pass rabies onto you, so if it looked relatively normal and wasn't foaming at the mouth, it didn't have rabies. You can trust me with 100% certainty on this information as I have done EXTENSIVE research into the subject after my fears, including reading medical journals.

Another point you should consider is that if the animal is not dead within 10 days it means it could not have passed rabies onto you, because once the animal is symptomatic it will die within 10 days, that is the general procedure in most countries for dealing with rabies cases, confining the animal for 10 days to see if it is still alive after. So my point here is, if you see that same dog hanging around after a 10 days period you can be 100% certain it didn't have rabies.

If, after all that you are still not certain whether or not you have rabies, you can go to a doctor and tell them the story to see if they will give you a rabies vaccine.

Let me know if you have any other concerns, I am very familiar with this fear. You can add me one *****: mjayster , if you feel like talking about it.
Bookmark and Share
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronker

Offline silverfish212121

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 11:58:33 AM »
Actually, there have been at least two recent documented case of rabies in a dog, if not more (in a region which sadly isn't that far from where I live). Besides, it's not like every single stray animal has been properly tested for the virus...The likelihood it was infected may be slim, but it's definitely not non-existent.

mjayster: you say that it takes a month for them to appear, but I've read that it can take less than a week...It's been four days already. It might be flu season, but it seems too much of a coincidence (especially since I rarely get sick). I don't think my sore throat is due to my mind playing tricks on me, albeit I am feeling quite anxious at the moment. Don't know how I'll manage to fall asleep tonight thinking I'll be on my deathbed by the time I wake up tomorrow.

There is no way for me to find out whether the dog is still alive or not. I guess I could always pay a visit to a doctor, but I'd rather not, to be honest.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mjayster

Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 01:50:15 PM »
The earliest documented case of onset of symptoms is around 10 days: http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/rabies.html. Also considering you suspect you may have been bitten in the leg, the virus would need to take a while to get to your brain, meaning your case would take considerably longer, I would certainly say at least a month if not longer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline silverfish212121

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 02:15:57 PM »
Hey, thanks for the link...Reading things like that puts my mind at ease.

However, there seems to be a lot of conflicing information regarding this topic...On the World Health Organization site it says the incubation period can be less than a week (unless I misunderstood something).
Bookmark and Share

Offline mjayster

Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 02:58:17 PM »
Oh ok, I see what you were talking about, but the chances of being a less than one week person would be impossible. There are probably the same number of people wjho have gotten it in than a week as the number who have gotten it beyond 2 years which amounts to about 5 among millions. Also for those people they would have had extensive injuries in the head and neck area. Sorry for the late response, im on my cell, pc pooped out on me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline silverfish212121

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 04:32:18 PM »
What you are saying makes perfect sense, even though admittedly I am still trying to figure out whether the darn dog bit me or not...At least I'm not in panic mode anymore. I'll report back (if I'm still alive) in a couple of days or so, mainly so as not to worry anyone who may come across this post later on. Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply to my nonsense!!! I'm glad you were able to overcome this fear and I dearly hope you'll never have to worry about this disease again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline silverfish212121

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 04:35:19 PM »
Hey, thanks for the link...Reading things like that puts my mind at ease.

However, there seems to be a lot of conflicing information regarding this topic...On the World Health Organization site it says the incubation period can be less than a week (unless I misunderstood something).

(conflicting*)
Bookmark and Share

Offline mjayster

Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 05:07:40 PM »
Ive been where you are and its not nonesense, its OCD and im very happy to hear youre not in panic mode as that really is the best you can hope for at this point. We both know there is no way you are going to stop worrying aboit it but if you can spend some time doing something you enjoy, eveni your still worrying there is a sense of victory. Ill keep an eye on this thread and look forward to heatring that you feel fine in a coule days or weeks, it took me months to get over it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline astroturf

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 04:26:03 PM »
Fellow rabies worrier here. Petrified by the fear, actually. Sigh.
Bookmark and Share

Offline silverfish212121

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 04:35:38 PM »
Hey mjayster, thank you for understanding! Some people can be really insensitive (no matter if their own fears are just as irrational). Oh well. I was worried out of my mind during the weekend, but now I am doing better mentally. My cold doesn't seem to be getting much better, but it's only been a few days and I haven't been very cautious. At least my throat isn't sore anymore, and I haven't had any other unpleasant symptoms (so far  ::) ).

astroturf, I read your post just now, and albeit I can fully understand why you are worried, I think that it is quite unlikely you got bitten by a bat. There are loads of them where I live and they don't appear to be overly aggressive. I doubt one would get in your house, let alone attack you while you were peacefully sleeping!
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 05:56:22 PM »
If you've ever been bitten by a dog you would know it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 08:10:02 PM »
Yep. If you can't figure out if you were bitten by the dog or not, you can stop worrying about rabies.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SammyRiver

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 05:35:56 PM »
Hi, I know this thread is a couple of weeks old but hopefully i can still get a reply. Especially from mjayster.

I was bitten by a dog one month ago, In Turkey (rabies is still a problem here - the last case of rabies in a dog in my city was 2011 but it had been maybe a decade since one before). I cleaned the wounds thoroughly and recieved my rabies shots. after 10 days the dog was still alive so my treatment finished. i never really thought about it again. UNTIL this friday. I developed flu like symptoms and of course am now certain i have rabies.
the dog is a pet, still alive, fully vaccinated and healthy. However I cant stop doubting myself. Im now no longer certain that the dog ive been checking on is the same dog that bit me. i have asked all my neighbours and they have all said the same, they have never seen another dog in that area, but they know the dog ive been watching as it is always aggressive and often tries to attack them. my flu symptoms are not getting worse but my main fear is my leg that was bitten aches. it has ached since the bite but seems to be getting worse since the flu started.
its not in the exact same place as the bite, a little higher, and its not burning or tingling, its a dull ache in my muscles.
has anybody else ever been bitten and experienced aching?

Im going out of my mind!

I went back to the rabies clinic today, they dont think i have it, they are really not concerned by any of my symptoms at all - it is flu season after all, and many of my symptoms dont directly fit rabies i.e dry mouth
but they agreed to restart my vaccination schedule and said that the 2 week break would not affect the overall treatment. i think they are just giving me the shots because they can see how distressed i am.

any ideas/advice
Bookmark and Share

Tags: