Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: feeling helpless  (Read 211 times)

Offline alesha

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
feeling helpless
« on: January 22, 2014, 05:46:19 PM »
I have been have issues with anxiety for a while now. I am new here so be kind. I have been to my primary care doctor and a psychiatrist.  My problem is I always wonder if something else is wrong.For examples my stomach will hurt, my head will hurt, my arm will hurt, whatever it may be I panic and think is something else wrong with me? Am I going to drop dead? Im aware I have anxiety but does it affect you everyday?  Even when im not actually having an attack I feel bad. My head especially bothers me like I am in a dream state, everything around me is normal and going fine but im still. Is this normal?
Bookmark and Share

Offline saturyne

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: feeling helpless
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 07:28:25 PM »
Hi Alesha,

Welcome to the board (I just joined, too!)   So sorry about everything.  I started getting multiple panic attacks daily about 3.5 months ago.  came out of nowhere and has been so physically and emotionally debilitating. 

I do suffer from physical issues even when I'm not having a panic attack.  In fact, about 7 days after the panic attacks started, I developed 24/7 dizziness/lightheadedness.  Even when I feel no anxiety, I feel like I'll fall over.  I also am getting more headaches, neck tension, GI issues.  I think anxiety can affect the human body in incredible ways.  The ER doc told me one person went completely paralyzed on one half of her body.  It lasted for about 3 months, then switched back to normal.  It came on because of severe anxiety (not a stroke).  He said anxiety can sometimes make our bodies really go haywire in unusual ways.  I know it's easy to think there's something else wrong (I was convinced I had MS or some other horrible disease), but for most people it's anxiety rearing it's ugly head. 

I do have some slight positive info for you.  My dizziness was so bad, 10/10 each day, for months.  Although I still suffer from daily panic attacks, I've really been trying to do breathing exercises, therapy, exercise, and I even bought a ukelele.  I figured I could active a different part of my brain and teach myself to play, so it couldn't focus on anxiety.  Long story short, just in the last few days my dizziness has started to decrease.  It went from a 10/10 to a 3 to a 5 out of 10.  Will this last?  I don't know.  But I'm trying to see tiny positives and think as I slowly chip away at anxiety it will help resolve other issues.

It's easy to feel isolated with this disorder, and I often feel that way.  I also tend to have catastrophic thoughts, like "I'll never get better!"  I sincerely hope you (and all of us) find some relief.  I think it's a slow process that could stall out at times.  I'm glad to be here where we can lean on each other for support.  :)   Really hope you get better!  Maybe try taking up a hobby at home that can redirect your brain's energy….?
Bookmark and Share

Offline alesha

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 10:13:06 AM »
Thank you for your kind words. Its very discouraging. I just wasnt sure if you could feel so bad even when your not having a panic attack. It seems like its one thing after another. My chest will almost always have some sort of pain or discomfort, my head feels light headed and detached from reality, at times I feel nauseated.  I worry all day about how I'm feeling, which I'm sure isnt good!

I am however looking forward to warmer weather so I can get out and try to enjoy things. I really hope it helps. I feel I have a lot of time to sit and dwell and monitor how I'm feeling at every moment. Here recently I feel like I can cook and clean but everything else is very challenging. I have small children also and it breaks my heart because I feel as if I'm making them suffer or not being the best mother I can be..
 Sorry for rambling.  I think I needed to vent a little.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sleepingbear

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 04:27:02 PM »
I totally understand the "one thing after another" with physical symptoms.  I am discouraged, too, but I know it'll be okay someday.  I'm tired of always thinking something is wrong.  This is my 3rd bout of anxiety in 30 years, so I know I will have relief again.  That keeps me grounded and realistic.  One thing about this anxiety is how distorted our thoughts can get.  Hang in there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline alesha

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 06:10:02 PM »
Thank you :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: