Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: OMG Gastro Dr ordered colonoscopy. Scared to death.  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Re: OMG Gastro Dr ordered colonoscopy. Scared to death.
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 03:59:26 PM »
I know hypo, right!? You think I would be able to relax but I still question "are those really hemorrhoids" I'm a freaking hot mess ball of anxiety that needs major therapy ! I can honestly admit that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 04:08:25 PM »
That's why I said, when the colonoscopy thing finishes, don't forget to go to therapy. Don't forget that, since HA won't end with colon cancer. Take care and good luck
Bookmark and Share

Offline potternut

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 04:12:23 PM »
My GI doc also recommended a colonoscopy just to be absolutely sure.  When my test came back clear, I cannot tell you the peace that it brought me and continues to bring me.  No amount of reassurance brought me the same measure of relief as having a clean colonoscopy. 

I'm sure everything will be fine!
Bookmark and Share
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Offline Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 04:44:20 PM »
What was your reason for colonoscopy recommendation?
Bookmark and Share

Offline kayhee

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 05:42:08 PM »
this has happened to me as well.  i had on and off blood streaks on the toilet paper for months and every gastro doctor told me to get a colonoscopy.  i was so worried and scared for the results but decided to go through with it so i could just let it go.  it was a horrible just anticipating it but once it was over and i got the news that it was just an internal hemm, i was so relieved and haven't worried about it since.  funny thing is that the bleeding never happened again after my colonoscopy (i did increase my fiber intake).
Bookmark and Share

Offline olethros

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »
I can definitely understand your fear, as it's something I've been going through for some time as well. But let me share a few thoughts. First off, while it's possible to get this at a young age, the stats are heavily in your favor. I was actually just reading it a couple of weeks back. A 30 year old male has something like a .06% chance of developing it over the next 10 years. And you're not even 30 and you're female, so that number is going to be lower. Also remember that many of those who are young and get it have some background - family history of getting it young, for example. So you're putting yourself into a very small camp indeed. Thirdly, remember that most of those who get it have a variety of big symptoms. My Aunt had it in her 50s, and while I don't know all of her symptoms, I do know she had extreme weight loss with no explanation, which is something I've heard in many cases. I can totally understand your worry as I've been there and am there sometimes still, but statistically you're in a good position.

Secondly, let me encourage you to try your best to control your imagination. I have a pretty vivid imagination so I've been there! I think about what's going on, and think of going to the doc and getting the test results with the doc telling me "you have cancer" and emotionally it really spirals out of control. But that's purely imagination. And I've had it so many times with so many issues. Why not try letting your imagination take you in a good direction? Imagine going to the doc and him saying "everything's good!" with a smile. As I mentioned before, this is far more likely on a statistical level anyway. But I think it may be one of the best ways to combat the negative imagination us hypos have.

Either way, good luck with it all - looking forward to hearing the test come back with good results for you :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jones

• 1Peter 2:24
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 06:02:32 PM »
Lindsay - I, too, understand your fears. No one wants to go through any kind of test with the thought it may come out bad. But try and think positively. I have been through this procedure three times now - the last one, just last week. I have one person in my family who had colon cancer, but she died in her 90's! My first experience with this was when I too had discovered that there was blood whenever I pooped. I was told I needed a colonoscopy and it totally freaked me out. I was sure that it was going to come back with the dreaded "C". It didn't! I had a couple of polyps and some internal hemorrhoids  - that's it!! As someone else posted earlier, it's the black tarry stools you need to be concerned with - not that you shouldn't get checked out, but it's the blood that is coming from further up the colon that is more of a concern.

I pray you find some peace from these posts. I know it's really easy for me to say, but I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.

Joan
Bookmark and Share
He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 06:02:53 PM »
My grandmother had it in her seventies. Nothing hereditary. No one else in the family before or after has had it. The doctor just said it was a freak thing. It is getting more and more common. The food and environment now are way different than those before.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 06:07:21 PM »
I agree with the black, tarry stools being highly concerning (but not always cancer), but people put a lot of trust into the bright red blood only being hemorrhoids. This simply is not true. Polyps also grow in the anal and sigmoid colon and also cause bright red bleeding as the stool passes by and receives this fresh blood. Lindsey, i know you have hemorrhoids and alllllll and i mean allllll of your symptoms go hand and hand with this. But if i had listened to even my doctor and all the info i find on the internet and here, i would have cancer now believing i had hemorrhoids. I think your colonoscopy will come back clean as a whistle with only hemorrhoids.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 07:46:48 PM »
I really do appreciate everyone's input and kind words.
One more question. Do you think if this was the "C" word my symptoms would have gotten worse oven this ear of the light bleeding? Would I have developed stomach pain, nausea, bad constipation or diarrhea, weight loss, fatigue, more bleeding or bleeding with every BM? Nothing and I mean nothing as increased and I have zero
Other symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline olethros

• Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 07:53:51 PM »
I would say that is a strong likelihood. Cancer grows and spreads, that's why it is so dangerous. A year later, you're not likely to be feeling fine if it's cancer.

Just try to keep imagining the good news from your doctor. If you're going to imagine something, imagine that! Imagine how good you'll feel once it's all over and you're in the clear. That'll be a good day. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 08:09:26 PM »
Yes hun, it would have gotten worse. Mine went from occasional to every day in a year. If your doctor wasnt highly concerned (which you said she really wasnt) then you dont need to be really concerned either. :)  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline beast216

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 11:00:55 PM »
I've got a CT scan of abdomen on Friday.  Colonoscopy on Monday.

Am I scared...yes a little.  But I am much more happy that they are looking.  Because medicine is amazing these days an anything they may find....they can help.

I have a family history of colon cancer and ulcerative colitis...and medicine has helped my mother for years with UC. 

Good luck.  Nothing to be scared of. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 06:33:18 AM »
Your doctor is being thorough. Sounds like a hemorrhoid or fissure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 10:19:24 AM »
Thank you, thank you thank you everyone! My nerves seen to be more calm today although all it will take is to come across the "C" word and that will change really quickly! My BM this morning was picture perfect LOL no bleeding, nice and bulky normal color and easy move (thanks fiber) I am
Thinking about pushing the colonoscopy to March since she wasn't to concerned or in a rush to do one! My husband and I leave for a carribean trip to Mexico march 2 and I'm terrified my colonoscopy will reveal cancer and I will have to go straight into surgery and chemo treatments (honestly I am a complete anxiety basket case) so I want to enjoy our vacation together before the procedure is done. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: